Quantcast
Best cheap analog EQ ?! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best cheap analog EQ ?!
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Best cheap analog EQ ?!

For under 1000$ (include what might fit in as used price also).

But: it also has to be better than stock Cubase 6.5 Eq.

Is there something ? Or is analog eq compared to plugins only worth it when it's really high end??

Thanks
Old 17th July 2014
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzop ➑️

Is there something ? Or is analog eq compared to plugins only worth it when it's really high end??

Thanks
Hi there, did you ever receive any answers to this question. I, too, am looking for answers on this subject. Thx
Old 17th July 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Depends on what you're looking for. For clean corrective work good plugins are very effective. Plugins also work the best if you want to correct one thing and change nothing else. Analog EQs often change sound in some way even when "doing nothing". That can be great sometimes because the change is for better, yet other times you don't want that.

Old german broadcast modules still give you interesting (quality) options at reasonable price. I have experience with following. Siemens W295 for broad shaping and tube-like softness. Neumann W495 for a little bit more control and cleaner sound (you still get some color because of the transformers). Then there are Filteks, BFE, LAWO, Telefunken and other Neumann EQs in that palette. Some of them have just bell filters for more specific EQing, for example filteks. Most of them have everything on switches so you have stepped gain, often quite coarse (2, 3dB steps). I actually like that, it makes you sculpt things a bit more.
Old 17th July 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
I'll add the Square State Solid State Model1b to the equation. Dirt cheap three band inductor eq that is great at sweet boosts. Superb fat bass, sweet, glowy tops and clear, defined mids. Great box.
Old 17th July 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
If you have 500 series, hands down, the Elysia Xfilter. It's stereo, with one set of knobs for both sides so you don't have to worry about matching. You can use it for stereo or mono. It's versatile, between the passage massage, the wide frequency bands and the shelves that become cut filters.

And Elysia in general is just fantastically clean. Stuff EQ'd with Elysia usually sounds like it was tracked that way.

Great module.

Regards,
Frank
Old 17th July 2014 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian ➑️
If you have 500 series, hands down, the Elysia Xfilter. It's stereo, with one set of knobs for both sides so you don't have to worry about matching. You can use it for stereo or mono. It's versatile, between the passage massage, the wide frequency bands and the shelves that become cut filters.

And Elysia in general is just fantastically clean. Stuff EQ'd with Elysia usually sounds like it was tracked that way.

Great module.

Regards,
Frank
Yes, and that one! Love mine.
Old 17th July 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
So fine, you said it 3 times!
Old 17th July 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian ➑️
So fine, you said it 3 times!
So fine you rhymed!
Old 17th July 2014
Lives for gear

Jdk all the way....Hey! I rhymed too!
Old 17th July 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
a used amek 9098 are nice EQs

Quote:
ITB plugins do what they need to do though. There will be nothing better per se just something more colorful and analog sounding on the outboard side.

Essentially with ITB eqs, if there is no modeling or emulation funny business going on.... then they will all sound exactly the same. And generic ITB plugins should all sound exactly the same or there is a bug in them.

Quote:
it sounds like you want a color EQ like an API 55x, Neve, Pultec etc.... But they are pricy.

You should be able to snag a good eq for 1000 but the problem is what functionality are you looking for? do you need filters? do you need full bandwidth capabilities? Do you need it to be fully parametric? how much color ? There really are no EQs that have all these features for under a grand even used. The only fully functional EQ you can get for under 1000 is a 9098 but it's IC so it's not going to be super colorful. Portico may be an option.

IMO if you are not looking for color and you need full parametric functionality, then your cubase EQs are going to be better than anything in the 1000 price range.
Something like a Great River EQ-2NV cost about 1500 it has mojo and carving capabilities. Also you can buy some cheap sort of noisy EQs like orban which have a little analog color, and are very functional. Probably get one for 300-500. these are not high quality of course.

What are you looking to do? do you want color/bigness? do you want to carve/do surgery? both? It's tough to make a recommendation not knowing your full requirements.
Old 19th July 2014 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Thanks for all the info. I will research these further. My main application would be adding some high end sweetening to some Sony C 57 tube mics that I mostly use as overheads. They sound great, but are a bit dark. I have been running them through an Aurora Audio GTQ2 which works amazingly well, but I'd like to use the Aurora for kick and snare. The Sonys sound great through my Grace preamps, but then that brings up my need for an eq to use along with the Grace to sweeten the high end of the Sony's. Of all the eq's you mentioned, any thoughts on which ones might be best for this application?
Old 19th July 2014
Company Rep

🎧 15 years
Th Square State M1B was, IMHO, the best afforadble "classic" analog EQ on the market. For tracking you'll have to look at a 500 Series module to get something nice in that price range. I can't think of anything new (not used) around that price that I'd be happy with, but there could be exceptions around...
Old 19th July 2014
Lives for gear
If you are willing to explore the used market, a Manley Mini Massive, Elysia Xfilter, Summit EQP 200, or Kush Clariphonic usually fall somewhere around $1000. All those would excel at high frequency sweetening. If you are in the 500 series game already, maybe a pair of Maag EQ2's.

My top recommendation, however, would be the AEA RPQ or a pair of RPQ500 preamps, which have the "curve shaper" EQ that's great for adding some high frequency lift to darker tube or ribbon microphones. Plus, they sound are super detailed preamps which is great for picking up cymbals.

Or, there's the Urei 546 or several different Orban parametric EQs.
Old 19th July 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
dbx 242, if you can find one. I don't know if it's THE BEST or not, but its a find.
Old 20th July 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Id say get a good plugin EQ. DMG Equilibrium.

For hardware I like MAAG EQ4, but also use the plugin myself instead. Hardware wise I feel better spending my money on dynamics, or other things that make a bigger impact to have while tracking as well.
Old 20th July 2014 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyandres ➑️
Id say get a good plugin EQ. DMG Equilibrium.

For hardware I like MAAG EQ4, but also use the plugin myself instead. Hardware wise I feel better spending my money on dynamics, or other things that make a bigger impact to have while tracking as well.
You can absolutely forget getting from a plugin what the Solid State Square State does. No chance.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➑️
You can absolutely forget getting from a plugin what the Solid State Square State does. No chance.
Agreed. And I just have to say the hype around dmg is totally unfounded. When I A/B'd against stock plugin eq's they sound almost exactly the same. And I only say "almost" because I could have had too much coffee, too little sleep, not enough dinner when I tested. Total waste of money if you ask me. I thought it would bring rainbows to my productions/mixes after all the praise it got here on GS. :0/

IME, the difference between plugin eq's is so subtle it's better to just get up and move the Mic 1cm, while the difference between HW eq's cab be pretty substantial. I'm generalizing of course. There are a few plugins that have serious mojo for example uad cs1, sonox, Mcdsp eq, stillwell vibe.
Old 20th July 2014
Lives for gear

Kush Electra. Got a pair, and ended up selling off all my API eqs to buy several more pairs. They're my first choice for just about everything when I'm mixing, and the absolute best tracking eq I've ever used (and I've used just about everything).
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto ➑️
Kush Electra. Got a pair, and ended up selling off all my API eqs to buy several more pairs. They're my first choice for just about everything when I'm mixing, and the absolute best tracking eq I've ever used (and I've used just about everything).
Horses for courses!
Api is a sure sound you want to hang around! Kush would be a great partner in crime to commit sonic offenses!
Old 20th July 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Just interested if anybody had tried out or have some form of experience with GAP EQ-73? I just ordered one to go along with my PRE-73 and see how it works for some boosting as an insert in my DAW. It should come by next week.
Old 20th July 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
+1 for selling the Grace and getting the AEA RPQ.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Saved me the typing. I wasn't surprised how impressive the Electra is in the lows and mids, but it's THE unit that reconciled me with highs. It's that good, with mojo galore.
Old 20th July 2014
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
If you can solder, check out the DBDawg CEQ, they are pretty affordable, based on Calrec
Old 21st July 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Holy cow, really!! That's awesome news!! It's half the price!!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikjmuzik ➑️
Holy cow, really!! That's awesome news!! It's half the price!!
That was a big part of what prompted me to do so.
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Yes-sir-ee, and it's clean but has this ALIVE and ELECTRIC tone to it.

War
Old 22nd July 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
That was a big part of what prompted me to do so.
Amazing, think I might be sold...
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Speck ASC !!!
Old 23rd July 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx ➑️
If you can solder, check out the DBDawg CEQ, they are pretty affordable, based on Calrec
I've seen those kits on ebay. Have you built any? How do they sound. There are so little choices for fully parametric eq's.
Old 23rd July 2015 | Show parent
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucin Niega ➑️
I've seen those kits on ebay. Have you built any? How do they sound. There are so little choices for fully parametric eq's.
It looks like his site has gone offline. I haven't built mine yet so I can't offer any feedback yet! I really need to get this rack gear DIY going... I'm so stuck in the box right now. I guess I'm lucky I got two kits before Dbdawg went offline.
πŸ“ Reply