Quantcast
Best cheap analog EQ ?! - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best cheap analog EQ ?!
Old 23rd July 2015
Gear Guru
I collect older cheapo EQ's and rebuild them. I have a few MXR graphics and a DOD 31 band graphic I bought for $59 from the Starving Musician in Santa Cruz (great shop).

That R-831 graphic now does + - 30 db gain adjustments! It's a super EQ with about double the range of any other EQ.
Old 23rd July 2015
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Easy enough to demo the Elektra, just demo the plug. Unbelievable how good they make anything sound.....
Old 23rd July 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx ➡️
I guess I'm lucky I got two kits before Dbdawg went offline.
It looks like he's still selling under ebay ID: decibeldawg
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucin Niega ➡️
It looks like he's still selling under ebay ID: decibeldawg
Cool, good to know.
Old 23rd July 2015
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzop ➡️
For under 1000$ (include what might fit in as used price also).

But: it also has to be better than stock Cubase 6.5 Eq.

Is there something ? Or is analog eq compared to plugins only worth it when it's really high end??

Thanks
Eq plugins like the fabfilter sound so good and transparent that it seems going for hardware isn't worth it unless you're really looking for some high end goodness. I would guess any stereo (or dual mono) eq for under $1k that has so much mojo it beats a fabfilter plugin (or equivalent) would be hard to find. Maybe I'm wrong. That said... if you can stretch just a bit more, you could grab something like a summit audio eqp dual program tube equalizer. I really love mine for lifting vocals, acoustic guitar, etc. You can use the low boost/cut together to create shelfs or cuts in the mids, which makes them more versatile than you'd think. Mmm good.
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuffaloCave ➡️
Eq plugins like the fabfilter sound so good and transparent that it seems going for hardware isn't worth it unless you're really looking for some high end goodness. I would guess any stereo (or dual mono) eq for under $1k that has so much mojo it beats a fabfilter plugin (or equivalent) would be hard to find. Maybe I'm wrong. That said... if you can stretch just a bit more, you could grab something like a summit audio eqp dual program tube equalizer. I really love mine for lifting vocals, acoustic guitar, etc. You can use the low boost/cut together to create shelfs or cuts in the mids, which makes them more versatile than you'd think. Mmm good.
Good point. Software like Pro Q2 is changing how I think about my hardware needs.

Under $1,000, since this thread started, there's a new big release in this category with the

Warm EQP-WA,

a Pultec for $700 are you kidding me? That's almost as cheap as building your own.

Also I don't know if anyone's mentioned the Lindell 500 series but those look cool for the price too. I haven't personally tried any of this stuff.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
does anyone know where you can buy one of those square state solid state eq's?
Old 23rd July 2015
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I think they might be... discontinued
Old 23rd July 2015
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I just had my tech pigtail these and it blew my mind how amazing they sounded, musical, not harsh, smooth and detailed. They do have limitations due to the limited frequencies but for air and punch, just amazing.

If you can find one or two I highly recommend them. I don't engineer anymore so these are going up for sale.... not a pitch at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Best cheap analog EQ ?!-altec-001.jpg   Best cheap analog EQ ?!-altec-002.jpg  
Old 24th July 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdolby ➡️
If you can find one or two I highly recommend them. I don't engineer anymore so these are going up for sale.... not a pitch at all.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucin Niega ➡️

I set myself up there didn't i?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx ➡️