Quantcast
Meinl Byzance Dark and Dry Cymbals - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Meinl Byzance Dark and Dry Cymbals
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Meinl Byzance Dark and Dry Cymbals

I spent 4 hours trying out every single cymbal at a local store. They only had Zildjians and Meinl. I was pretty set on Zildjian but I didn't like any of the Zildjian A, A custom, K, K custom, Z3, etc. The only one I liked the sound of was the Z Custom Mastersound 14" hi hats, which have been discontinued I know, but the store had a new pair there. I know that no one likes them, but I do. For hard rock(which is what I play), I think they kick ass. I ventured over to the Meinl side and tried the Byzance Dark Spectrum 14" hi hats. I liked them, but not as much as the Z customs. So, I put the Z hats on the stand then went through ride cymbals. I really wanted to like the sweet ride, and didn't like it in the past at all, and I didn't like it this time either. I tried several other Zildjian rides, then crashes. I didn't like any of them at all, not enough to part with the cash anyway. I was pissed because I couldn't find a ride or a crash I liked to go with the Z Customs. Then I was forced to go the Meinl side to look for a ride. I tried the Byzance Extra Dry 20" Medium Ride. Bam, I was in love! Beautiful stick definition, character, many different colors and sounds all over it. It reminded me of John Densmore's ride sound for some reason. I could literally "see" colors when I hit the bell. Oh my god! You can crash it too. But the only problem was the Z hi hat was not gelling at all so I put my number 2, the Meinl Byzance Dark Spectrum hats on and then it really started to work. I also tried the extra dry hats and they were a perfect sonic match for this ride. The only problem was that the dry hats don't have a good open slosh like the darks, which I need to have for rock. I put on a Meinl 16" dark crash and their 18" efx, which is very cool. Then something strange happened. I started jamming. I had no drums, mind you, just the cymbals. They made me play a way I never have before. They inspired me to play busier stuff, to hit the cymbals in different places, etc.

I put down a deposit to hold the Dark spectrum hats and the extra dry ride and after further research, this is what I'm going to buy:

14" Byzance Dark Spectrum Hi hats
18" Byzance Medium Thin Traditional(maybe thicker and or bigger)
22" Byzance Dark Spectrum Ride
20" Byzance Extra Dry Medium Ride (to be used as a Crash Ride)

The didn't have the 22" but they're getting one in soon and I'm sure I'll love it in this configuration. I'm just worried that when I play these with my band that they will be too dark. I'm worried about the distorted guitar eating up all the lovely goodness that these cymbals have. Has anyone had success with any of these cymbals in a live or studio situation?
📝 Reply