Creating outputs on a Tascam DM4800 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Creating outputs on a Tascam DM4800
Old 23rd September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Creating outputs on a Tascam DM4800

Hey Guys!

I recently bought a Tascam DM4800, and I'm looking for a way to create more outputs.

I was thinking to go for the TDIF option, but I can't really find a converter, so I thought, maybe it's possible to just use a breakout cable (tdif --> 8x jack or xlr). The outputs are going to be used for headphone monitoring, or going to the patch bay.

Any of you got more experience with this? Or are there better/easier/cheaper options to create more outputs on the Dm4800?

I really hope someone can help!

Thnx!
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Hi Rick,

The DM4800 has 4 expansion slots so you can add a variety of cards for more I/O - I have firewire, analog, surround and TDIF cards installed for more I/O than you can shake a stick at......

There are TDIF convertors around, but I haven't found any that are value for money.... what device are you recording too?

Aux1/2 is a good option for cans mix on the DM
Old 24th September 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hi Herc,

Thnx for the reply!

I'm recording to Pro Tools 10 through the firewire card that I have (expansion slot 1).

So I'm using the 24 inputs (and 8 additional from a daisychained presonus FP10).

My next investment is going to be a Behringer PowerPlay monitoring system, so I want to have at least 16 wired outputs to the powerplay interface. With that I have a 24 I/O patchbay that I want to use for integrating hardware.

So my big question is, can I use the 3 standard TDIF outputs (and potentially the expansion slots with TDIF) on the console with a breakout cable, (25Dsub to 8 jack or xlr, *see picture) to go to the Power Play, or patch bay...or whatever other piece of gear, without using a TDIF to anolog converter?

Or is there an easier/better way to do this?

Thanks a lot for the help so far!
Old 25th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Hi Rick

Tascam Digital Interface (TDIF) is a digital stream so you need to convert it to analog to input it to analog devices - I don't think it will talk to that "other-net" protocol. Unfortunately, not many devices accept TDIF, and the ones that do end up duplicating what your DM4800 can already do...... and the convertors in the DM are already very good. (I use an x48 as my primary DAW + an extra TDIF card for 32 I/O over TDIF at 96KHz.)

For more I/O I found the best option is the Tascam 8 port analog card - you see them going for about $200 occassionally - I have one installed for external pre's and some other devices. You can also use the surround card for 8 analog outs - that card is around $700 but it adds a lot more functionality to the DM.

That snake you pictured is good for the analog card <-> patchbay or devices.

The DM has pretty extensive monitoring too - you could use aux 1-4 as mono cans mixes if you need that many different mixes and put the Powerplay money towards some DM extra cards.... just a thought ;-).

As you prob. know the DM has a fantastic digital routing system - it's so easy to set up project templates / libraries / flippable I/O settings for all the different mixes you need.
Old 25th September 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hi Herc,

This was exactly what I needed to know. Very helpfull thank you.

Both cards seem to be a good option for what I want, and for good money to

Thanks again!
Old 8th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Greetings! Long time lurker, first time poster. I've spent the last few days googling around and reading through the forums here trying to find some clarification on a similar issue- since this thread is fairly similar to what I'm looking for and relatively recent I thought I might post a reply here instead of starting a new discussion.

Like OP, I am looking to create more outputs on a DM-4800... what I wish to accomplish is to output up around 16 individual channels from the DAW to a separate analog board (primarily as a tactile teaching/learning tool in my studio, not so much for actual production though it would be used to experiment with different summing techniques). I am aware of the possibility of adding 8-ch analog expansion cards and using a breakout cable, however this is not the most convenient option for me as I have other uses for those ports (FW connection, VGA-out for the display, and 2 analog cards routed to a separate unit).

My question is simple: can the analog insert jacks on each channel be routed as channel outputs from the DAW?

If not, what are some of my other options? Any input on the following would be appreciated as well:

1) a DB-25 switch box? Pros/cons? I've used these for printers in the past, but can they handle audio? at <$25 it would almost seem too-good-to-be-true.

2) a separate DAC output interface from the DAW? I haven't looked into this yet, but I'm open to suggestions.

3) anything I haven't thought of? Thanks
Old 4th December 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
To the OP:
The best analog I/O option is using the IF AN/DM card. It is 8 channels of AD-DA. I use 3 of these to tie into our outboard rack below

The great part of these cards is that the transfer / conversion rate is immediate. This means you can use all the outboard in real time. EQ, effects, Parallel compression etc.. without phasing issues from I/O delay like coming and going from the DAW.

In routing:
On the OUTPUT screen set the output in stages for each card to the Busses 1-8, 9-16 etc..
Then set up the INPUTS as the IF AN/DM cards return/input. I do this to my next fader layer. 25-48 and have the busses returning to the same corresponding channels (for clarity). And so in looking at my rack, I have:
1176 on top are Buss 1 and 2
ELOP Buss 3,4
Mohogs 5,6

The DM's are crazy flexible boards and are amazingly clear and transparent sounding. You can actually route anything anywhere. If they said SSL on them and cost $20 more every single person on GS would be raving about them.

Funny.. people say that they are clinical or don't have character. I like that they are clear sounding. That means I can track a clear sounding song or a tough and gritty one.

That's what the outboard is for!!
Attached Thumbnails
Creating outputs on a Tascam DM4800-img_1062.jpg  
πŸ“ Reply