High end way of capturing sound sources with unbalanced outputs - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
High end way of capturing sound sources with unbalanced outputs
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
High end way of capturing sound sources with unbalanced outputs

OK, sorry guys for being such a pain in the horses ass, but I just have to get this question off of my chest!! I'm currently in the process of iterating through all of my components in the signal chain and simply upgrading them. I'm probably going to keep doing so forever...

I recently discovered I have really made a huge mistake when it comes to recording my hardware sound sources (keyboards, guitars), must have lost many dB of mix signal from this... What I found out was that I had incredible amounts of noise in the signal, with the DAW's fan as the primary noise source. I become aware of this when I upgraded my converter to PrismSound Orpheus, that converter really reveiled it to me. The DAW's fan goes wild because of my fat mix sessions that cause some very intensive CPU usage and I had simply messed it up by also placing those cables pretty close to the fan. But the good thing about it was that it made me aware of the fact that I truly have to connect my unbalanced gear in a completely different way, with a completely different mind set. So now I am looking at getting my hands on some of the best DI boxes out there, since that's my current understanding of how to best direct connect these instruments.

So in the past I've been using 3 meter long 1/4" unbalanced cables - "Hotline Professional Audio Line Cable with OFC for Electric Guitar". Now I want to replace that connection concept by the way that is the most efficient. So I'm suspecting what I need to do is to find the best dual mono DI box(es) I can find and connect maybe < 1 m unbalanced cables to it from the instrument and then connect maybe < 1 m balanced cables from the DI box to the converter. What solution do you recommend for this? What really high end way of connecting will preserve most signal?

Thanks a bunch!
📝 Reply