Quantcast
Art Pro MPA ll - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Art Pro MPA ll
Old 22nd September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Art Pro MPA ll

trying to get out of the box and looking for a nice tube pre-amp, been looking around and this looks like a real nice option awesome looking thing too.

i'm not gonna be using it for microphones but running seperate tracks through it from my DAW and/or preferably an entire stereo mix, just wanted to know if if this is possible?? Picture of the unit are on the link below....

ART Pro MPA II | Sweetwater.com
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It's possible. I did try to run a mix through my unit (only upgrade are some NOS tubes) and didn't like the results. Lots of variables in something like that though.

I'm happy tracking with it.
Old 23rd September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Great, can you let me know how you ran a stereo mix through it? and also why you weren't happy with the results?
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I have one. It's noisy. Not as noisy as the first MPA, but much more noisy than my Soundcraft EPM8 mixer pres, which i now track with. I havent given up on my MPA II, and I want to see how it works the same way you want it to. But it's noisy. I swapped a JJ tube in one channel, but after minimal testing, I couldn't tell the differrence between tubes. More testing soon. At least the MPA sounds way better than my BlueTube. Sounds like plastic with a distortion knob.
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
it says Art on it ...i wouldnt buy it ..save a little more and get something else
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by brassmoose ➑️
I have one. It's noisy. Not as noisy as the first MPA, but much more noisy than my Soundcraft EPM8 mixer pres, which i now track with. I havent given up on my MPA II, and I want to see how it works the same way you want it to. But it's noisy. I swapped a JJ tube in one channel, but after minimal testing, I couldn't tell the differrence between tubes. More testing soon. At least the MPA sounds way better than my BlueTube. Sounds like plastic with a distortion knob.
Running a JJ on the ART stuff sucks. The JJ ECC83 aka 12ax7 tends to distort when loaded and has a harsh sound. Perhaps for a Guitar amp but not on a tube mic pre or tube compressor. IMO
The person I bought my Pro VLA II off of was running them and they did exactly what I described above.
I am about to replace them with 12at7 Mullards. They should arrive on Monday.

As for the person saying anything ART sucks actually no. The Pro MPA II and MPA Gold are actually decent usable Mic Pres its actually a decent circuit.

The Pro VLA II as well is a good compressor with a good circuit design as well .
Don't let the ART name bias your judgement. Not all ART stuff is crap and both the Pro MPA II and the Pro VLA and VLA II, are in the racks of some top name engineers.
Old 23rd September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
To be honest noise isn't a problem, i make house music in the style of the stuff out of chicago and detroit in the late 80's early 90's so noise is actually desirable compared to the boring dull clinical sound i get working soley in a computer programme, i bounce everything to down to tape afterwards anyway...

has anyone got any experience with running digital audio tracks through these from a soft synth for example?? also anyone who has used these to run a stereo mix through and possibly explain how they did it?
Lives for gear

10 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpro ➑️
Running a JJ on the ART stuff sucks. The JJ ECC83 aka 12ax7 tends to distort when loaded and has a harsh sound. Perhaps for a Guitar amp but not on a tube mic pre or tube compressor. IMO
The person I bought my Pro VLA II off of was running them and they did exactly what I described above.
I am about to replace them with 12at7 Mullards. They should arrive on Monday.

As for the person saying anything ART sucks actually no. The Pro MPA II and MPA Gold are actually decent usable Mic Pres its actually a decent circuit.

The Pro VLA II as well is a good compressor with a good circuit design as well .
Don't let the ART name bias your judgement. Not all ART stuff is crap and both the Pro MPA II and the Pro VLA and VLA II, are in the racks of some top name engineers.
JJ is one of the best choices in ART MPA IMHO. Using it exclusively
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
ART Tube MP Studio has a little more noise than the MPA II, but less thn the first MPA, and sounds like an MPA (I or II). At $25, it makes my MPA II seem like not so much of a bargain. And all ART tubes are starved plate. Not really a solid tube experience. I'm getting cooler tube sounds from my GLA tube/limiter compressor plugin. ($30)
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by brassmoose ➑️
ART Tube MP Studio has a little more noise than the MPA II, but less thn the first MPA, and sounds like an MPA (I or II). At $25, it makes my MPA II seem like not so much of a bargain. And all ART tubes are starved plate. Not really a solid tube experience. I'm getting cooler tube sounds from my GLA tube/limiter compressor plugin. ($30)
ART Tube MP is a complete starved plate design, but the MPA II and Gold both have variable voltage and are running at a minimum of 50 volts.
Which is not exactly a starved plate design.

This has been mentioned here on GS by others with extensive circuit design expertise.
Its does not seem like you know about the circuit design or these facts.
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
GTS-39, I mean.
Old 24th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by icecubeman ➑️
JJ is one of the best choices in ART MPA IMHO. Using it exclusively
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I also have used JJ's with great success with my MPA II's, although I do prefer the 12AT7's over the 12AX7's. I always used these exclusively for mic pres they are a great bang for the buck. If you could stretch your budget a little it might be worth looking at some of the overstayer gear. They do some cool stuff.

Last edited by ForgottenG; 24th September 2012 at 04:23 AM.. Reason: correction
Old 24th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Yet to get a definitive answer on whether there is a way i can run a stereo mix through this, i'm guessing not? in which case can anyone recommend a cheap stereo pre-amp that i can run a mix through? or something of a similar ilk and price point that will add some colour and or dirt to a mix?
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I would suggest the DBX 386 over the Art MPA. Perhaps just my luck a few years ago, I purchased the MPA II from MusiciansFriend and shortly after the right VU meter burnt out. I personally thought the noise level was workable with my project at the time... but I doubt I'll ever buy the MPA again. I sold it and took the loss. I've read great things about the DBX 386. It is dual tube and the 386 has digital outs, if you have a need for that option.

dbx Dual-Channel Preamps | Sweetwater.com

And I don't see why this could be used for a stereo mix. Never done it, but it sounds logical to me. Why do you want to do this? To get a separate mix? Maybe to mix and master yourself? Just curious why?
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Daw -> d/a interface -> mpa II -> a/d interface (line in...no gain) -> daw
You'd want to engage the mid/side switch on the mpa so that only one set of controls set the volume, etc. for both channels. Otherwise you'd be setting left n right indpendently and it could become unbalanced.
Be sure to set the plate voltge to high on both channels, and give the unit about 15? Minutes to warm up. Ymmv.

The mpa is expecting mic levels, so be careful what you put into it.

I havent tried this exactly, but this should work. I may try this later this week.
Old 25th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounce2ThaBox ➑️
Great, can you let me know how you ran a stereo mix through it? and also why you weren't happy with the results?
It was last year. Hmmm - I probably just took 2 channels D/A out of my apogee and into the ART unit, and then back into the A/D. Nothing fancy.

I have some telefunken tubes in my unit. I didn't like the top end at all when used as a stereo buss type thing. It was very narrow sounding from what I remember.

It may sound better with different tubes, or for an effect.

Again, it tracks well and I like it on most sources for that application.
πŸ“ Reply