Quantcast
snare parallel compression... fatter? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
snare parallel compression... fatter?
Old 22nd September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
snare parallel compression... fatter?

I am trying to parallel compress a snare, and I am not hearing it get any fatter, I am really only hearing an increase in the snare noise and the ring.

I am smashing the compressed copy of the snare. What attack and release settings would you guys recommend me trying? not sure what to do to get this to work.
Old 22nd September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I parallel compress the whole drum mix, but have also done just the snare at times. The parallel should have pretty fast attack and release (generally speaking, there's always room to do things differently) to clamp down on the transient and bring up the sustain. Then it is often just peppered into the mix, adding some depth, but not being obvious.
Old 22nd September 2012
Gear Guru

it depends on what you're trying to do, and the compressor you use. for instance if you want it to sound like the drummer is hitting the snare harder slow attack and quick release, if you want to pull it in, fast attack and quick release. I never found parallel compression to make anything fatter, usually I use it on problem drums, which luckily I haven't seen for while.
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The snare is only going to get fatter if the sound of your parallel track is fat.
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I usually only parallel a snare if I want sustain and then I will crush it with a limiter.

Try complementary eq on the parallel chain if you want it fatter.
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
+1 on the EQ. I doubled my "fatness" factor using a bus comp + Logic Pro Channel EQ.
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCM - Ronan ➡️
The snare is only going to get fatter if the sound of your parallel track is fat.
I was going to say something almost exactly to what you said!
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Oh, and the top three compressor plug-ins on parallel comp bus that I've dealt with, are in this order of favorite to still great:
1. Waves SSL Bus Comp
2. Native Instruments Vari Comp
3. Cytomic The Glue

1 and 2 are nearly interchangeable.
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
As others said, it really all depends on what you want to change about the sound. "Fatness" is something I would not attribute a lot to parallel compression, to me that is frequency balance of the fundamental of the snare vs the rest, in combination with it´s amplitude envelope. For example, slamming a snare with an SSL channel compressor in the insert, slow attack, fastest release, produces that envelope, but also kind of pushes away the snare rattle that happens after the initial attack - not a good thing. Then I look for the fundamental frequency of the snare, usually in the 140-200Hz area and boost it with a narrow bandwidth if the snare lacks "weight". Then I set up another snare channel (or use the bottom snare channel) without said ssl compression to blend the sustain&decay highs in again, eventually compressed with an ultrafast compressor that pushes down only the attack transient and brings up the "SHHHHH". So you have got each aspect of the snare sound on it´s own separate fader and you can blend them to taste.
Another trick to get fat snares that lack weight in the fundamental is rather uncommon: Waves RBass excels at producing these frequencies on snares that don´t have a low frequency bump...
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
parallel compress and eq (overdrives add even more bacon) to leave only the fat. bring the fat up.
Old 22nd September 2012
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I've used parallel compression coupled with SPL transient designer on a few occasions where the snare is way too dry and lacks body/sustain and had quite good results. Slow attack + fast release using JLM comp works well for me if I don't over do it. It's usually when someone brings in tracks they have recorded at home that need fixing.

Audiosapien Recording Studios Brisbane
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab ➡️
it depends on what you're trying to do, and the compressor you use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCM - Ronan ➡️
Try using an 1176 plug (I use BF76) with all buttons in.
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Try a Little Labs VOG. Dial in the beef!
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Slow down the release of the parallel comp.

Also, IMO, the Focusrite ISA 131 is ideal for emphasizing tone/wood/thickness of a snr as a parallel comp, easily the best I've tried.
Gear Addict

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlowe ➡️
Try a Little Labs VOG. Dial in the beef!
This is a great idea.....don't know why I never thought of it myself!
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenny ➡️
Try using an 1176 plug (I use BF76) with all buttons in.
Plug Ins? I don't use no steenkin plug ins. What you're probably hearing as being fatter is what the phony 1176 is doing to the envelope. If you're using parallel compression and you want to make it fatter eq the return of the comp
Old 22nd September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Waves MV2
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab ➡️
Plug Ins? I don't use no steenkin plug ins.
Old 22nd September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
The source recording is where the beef was.
Meaning mic placement top and bottom.
I sometimes slap a 414 in fig8 on the bottom to pick up kick and snare with all buttons in, on 1176.
Fatness and sustain for days!!!!!
📝 Reply