Quantcast
Advice on home studio mic selection - female vox - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Advice on home studio mic selection - female vox
Old 21st September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Advice on home studio mic selection - female vox

I'm new here and hoping to get some advice on a vocal mic for my home recording studio. While I've been a performing vocalist since the 90s, I am relatively new to home recording and, until recently, have used a Shure Beta SM58A to record my vocals. I was always very happy with the results, but have felt pressured to record "correctly" with a condenser mic. A few months ago, a fellow female vocalist suggested the MXL 990. I just tried it for the first time and, simply put, I hate the way it sounds. Very sibilant, midrange and "flat". Compared to my vocal recordings using the Shure Beta SM58A, which are full, warm, and lifelike. So, yesterday I picked the brain of a local recording engineer and he has suggested that the AKG Perception 420 might be a better choice.

Can anyone here offer advice? Should I stick with my Shure Beta SM58A if I am happy with it, even if a dynamic mic is not my best choice for recording? Or should I give a different condenser mic like the AKG perception 420 a try? My primary styles are jazz / standards and Americana / country. I am mostly a hobbyist but I do distribute my music through iTunes, Amazon Mp3, etc. so I want the most professional sound possible without spending a lot of money. Thanks!

I am using a PreSonus AudioBox USB interface with Studio One 2 DAW.
📝 Reply