Quantcast
Desk-Top Speaker Stands - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Desk-Top Speaker Stands
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Desk-Top Speaker Stands

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone has seen any form of desk-top speaker stand ? I have looked around to no avail, I need something to raise my speakers off the desk by about 7/8 inches, just to get them high enough and to stop boomy reflections from the desk-top, my speakers are ADAM A5's.....

Thanks,

WB.
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Fine-tune Your Sound: 3 Sizes of IsoAcoustics Speaker Stands

These are great. Made a huge improvement over my foam and floor tile supports. The low end really opens up and
I'm using them at the low level....around 3" but they also come with longer tubes for a height of 8". (Or can be cut for anything in between)
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyburger ➑️
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone has seen any form of desk-top speaker stand ? I have looked around to no avail, I need something to raise my speakers off the desk by about 7/8 inches, just to get them high enough and to stop boomy reflections from the desk-top, my speakers are ADAM A5's.....

Thanks,

WB.
Be aware that raising your speakers off the desk surface will probably be an improvement in some areas, but will not eliminate reflections off of the desk surface.

Place a mirror on the surface of the desk in front of your speakers and sit in your normal mixing position. If you can see the speakers in the mirror, then that is a direct reflection at that point. And notice that you have two direct reflection points, one for the tweeter and on for the mid/woofer. Talk about comb filtering!

Placing blocks of fiberglass at these points can clear up your imaging drastically! But the best thing to do is to try to get your monitors away from the desk without anything sitting between them and your ears.

I built a 19" wide desk for myself that just holds the gear I always need. Works like a charm, and my speakers have never sounded better.
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thank's folks, those Iso stands would have been perfect, but there is no UK dealer ! I should have said I am in the UK. I think the smaller table idea is the way to go, as I have a pair of large floor stands already, the reason I put the speakers on this table was that with the stands they were just way too far apart, but never thought of getting a smaller table !

WB.
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
YIKES !!!!!!

Those stands are Β£89.00 GBP !!!!! I managed to find them at DV24, that's a bit steep for some desk-stands, I think I'll saw my table in half !!

WB
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sorry double post
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
There are a few UK stockists. DV & Juno off the top of my head.

If you have to put nearfields on the desktop then believe me they are worth every penny. They are designed to isolate not just to support.

If you cut your desk down you will need to buy floor stands anyhow.
Good luck finding a good stable pair of those that are tall enough for less money.

Edit: Sorry missed that you already have floor stands....so maybe that is your best solution.
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander ➑️
Be aware that raising your speakers off the desk surface will probably be an improvement in some areas, but will not eliminate reflections off of the desk surface.

Place a mirror on the surface of the desk in front of your speakers and sit in your normal mixing position. If you can see the speakers in the mirror, then that is a direct reflection at that point. And notice that you have two direct reflection points, one for the tweeter and on for the mid/woofer. Talk about comb filtering!

Placing blocks of fiberglass at these points can clear up your imaging drastically! But the best thing to do is to try to get your monitors away from the desk without anything sitting between them and your ears.

I built a 19" wide desk for myself that just holds the gear I always need. Works like a charm, and my speakers have never sounded better.
So placing the speakers in the edge (front) of my desk would be better than placing them in the bottom (back)?

I can't try it by myself right now.
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
My desk is 150 cm long, I've put the speakers behind it, on stands about 4 ft high, firing over the desk from behind, just in from the desk-ends, the speakers are about a couple of feet from the wall, with the desk out in the room. This is an improvement over my other location, not so boomy, with a better balanced sound, but there is still some lower mid coloration, but I think I'm just going to have to live with it. There is also a large computer monitor in the middle of the desk, that may be setting up some reflections. Also, the sound must be going under the desk to some extent.

WB
πŸ“ Reply