Quantcast
Lil wayne has inspired me not to purchase ANY type of acoustic treatment gear - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Lil wayne has inspired me not to purchase ANY type of acoustic treatment gear
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Lil wayne has inspired me not to purchase ANY type of acoustic treatment gear

Dude just needs a mic and a stand, he ain't even got a reflection filter or nothin

Kinda goes to show all that bass traps, acoustic foam etc isn't exactly 'neccessary' for recording vocals

Old 20th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Where is facepalm.jpg when you need it?
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The sad part is that will sell more than most albums tracked in million dollar rooms.
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanyenorthwest ➑️
Dude just needs a mic and a stand, he ain't even got a reflection filter or nothin

Kinda goes to show all that bass traps, acoustic foam etc isn't exactly 'neccessary' for recording vocals

Plenty of albums are written in hotel rooms... and most of those vocals are then re-recorded when the act is off the tour..or kept if the vibe is right.

Quote:
Read up a bit more about the reasons for acoustic treatment and you'll realise that you're a bit quick in your conclusion.

Quote:
reflection filter or nothin
Of all the dumb thing the audio retail industry have sold people that's the ultimate cookie.....

Last edited by j-uk; 20th September 2012 at 11:03 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
With regard to the sound treatment, of course, we only hear the audio from the cam and there's a load of room, of course, so we don't know. But he's up on the mic and I suspect the vocal will be heavily edited anyhow; I doubt much of the room will make its way into the final track.
Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 ➑️
With regard to the sound treatment, of course, we only hear the audio from the cam and there's a load of room, of course, so we don't know. But he's up on the mic and I suspect the vocal will be heavily edited anyhow; I doubt much of the room will make its way into the final track.
How do you decide how much of the room that will make it its way into the final track?
I would love that plugin
Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vulture ➑️
How do you decide how much of the room that will make it its way into the final track?
I would love that plugin
Alloy 2 transient shaper or equivalent....
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
perfect as it is, pure art.
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
He does not even need to wear a shirt to record vocals! Amazing.
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
^ He couldn't find a t-shirt made with an acoustically transparent material... duh.
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Here's a video of kids playing baseball in the street... why build multimillion dollar baseball parks?

All the Lil Wayne video shows is a guy performing for a handheld camera... not how good the recording sounds (and the camera/room sounds terrible) as others have pointed out, it might just be for a demo - to be re-recorded later or maybe he's just hamming it up for the camera? the guy in the chair doesn't seem too impressed by it.

One of the biggest mistakes to make is getting gear advice from videos - I can't tell you the number of studios I've been in where someone was handed something to hold for a picture/video that they would NEVER use in the studio ... but cash changes hand. Same goes for the "story" like - we recorded this song on our tour bus (leaving out that they then went to a studio and replaced everything)
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I doubt much of the room will make its way into the final track.

Wow.

+1 on what plug in removes the room from a condenser mic...

one more...

Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
The SPL De-Verb can kind of remove the room, Emwolb.
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Lil Wayne has inspired me to never purchase any of his music.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Robb ➑️
Lil Wayne has inspired me to never purchase any of his music.
Frickin' +1.

At least he's inspired someone to do something! A first? Apart from our misguided OP who believes everything he sees...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emwolb ➑️

Wow.

one more...

Would assume it's cardioid so doubt much of the room is picked up at that distance from the microphone, the rest is any type of transient shaper or gate, tho that might need some automation to work....

Not sure why this is even discussed though? Is anyone really seeing this as an argument not to do acoustic treatment?
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Trust me when i say a million $ studio is not needed for a hit song.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumG ➑️
Trust me when i say a million $ studio is not needed for a hit song.
I must have missed the post where someone said it was!

But trust ME - it's a hell of a lot easier to mix a well recorded vocal than one recorded like this, and the end result is usually limited by how good the original recording is.

And there's a lot of vocals on well known songs, particularly on rap stuff, that were so poorly recorded that the mix engineer should have automatically got a grammy for "biggest record saved from itself" or something.

There's really no excuse for crap vocal recording.
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
While the thread title is hilarious, folks "can and do" get away with a lot when recording close-mic vox... bathrooms, closets, tight control rooms, , around gobos, in front of a blasting band/amps, in crappy bars, and of course in proper studios. Depends on the goals and what's available... etc., etc. Be creative... whatever works.

But, yes, as others mentioned, we're only hearing the hand-held cam mics in this vid. So, that shouldn't be the basis of room treatment decisions! But nothing wrong with the room he's in per se, for in your face rap vox (with a nice mic).

Maybe he should have had a picture of a classy studio room on that big screen tv he's standing in front of?
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
No reflection filter? Amazing! How does he manage?

Keep in mind, we are hearing ONLY the camera mic in this video. It doesn't sound very good to me. It's just a guy rapping in a hotel room.

We would need a link to the actual record where we can hear how this vocal recorded in a hotel room sounds in the context of the final mix.

If that sounds OK, THEN you can start to draw conclusions about recording in an untreated hotel room. All you see here is them TRYING to record in a hotel room. You don't know if it was successful or not.

Quote:
without proof of how THIS vocal sounds in the context of the actual mix of the song, this video doesn't "show" anything of the kind.

Maybe it sounds like crap, it sure does off the camera mic. Maybe it sounded so bad they decided to redo it later "for real".
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

WTF is a "gobo"?
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rksguit ➑️
WTF is a "gobo"?
Its an abbreviation for a "Go Between" Acoustically Designed Panel of sorts, that isolates sound, in some way.

While I was watching this video, I was trying to figure out a way to "gobo" myself off from it.

But stopping the video worked too. Lil Wayne's talent is lost on me. I bet that mic was clipping to shreds while he was "spitting" into it.

Solid Engineering here!
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Decide or control? If control :

You control it with engineering. Engineering = choice of mic, distance from mic, angle of mic, damping around mic/singer, placement of mic/singer within room, degree of compression/limiting. All those factors will result in how much "room" ends up on the final track.

If decide, that's merely an esthetic judgement of the producer and/or engineer. Then, see above.
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
There is garbage on the radio, and you certainly don't need much of a setup to record it. Standards are lower than ever. We're in a time of great democratic leveling, where everything is tailored to the LCD. This is something we should be happy about.........right?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell ➑️
Its an abbreviation for a "Go Between" Acoustically Designed Panel of sorts, that isolates sound, in some way.

While I was watching this video, I was trying to figure out a way to "gobo" myself off from it.

But stopping the video worked too. Lil Wayne's talent is lost on me. I bet that mic was clipping to shreds while he was "spitting" into it.

Solid Engineering here!
Thanks,ha ha,the rest of your post is all "too true" for me as well.

Though he did get someone to invest "large amounts of cash" in him
RK
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Well if you aren't getting any diffusion, maybe you'll need to get that hotel room.

Sounds pretty big and decent. High ceiling and pleasant ERs. Nice room probably. Nicer than a lot of recording studios I've seen over the years.

Is that hotel room in your price range, or maybe something a bit more pokey?

The room itself is always more important than any diffusion you can throw at it.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by slutface ➑️
Well if you aren't getting any diffusion, maybe you'll need to get that hotel room.

Sounds pretty big and decent. High ceiling and pleasant ERs. Nice room probably. Nicer than a lot of recording studios I've seen over the years.

Is that hotel room in your price range, or maybe something a bit more pokey?

The room itself is always more important than any diffusion you can throw at it.
BTW I've always used Gobo, it's a lighting term as well, what "goes between" the lamp and the shutter.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Quote:
I would love that plugin
I meant to imply that in the bit I saw he was pretty close to the mic. The closer to the mic, the less room, in balance, obviously, the primary voice masking the room reflections.

Obviously, the sound from the vocal mic will be quite different than the sound from the cam mic.

I also meant to suggest that I suspect his vocal will, indeed, be edited to remove dead space (taking with it post-vocal reverberation that we hear in the vid soundtrack). Though the room reflections are still in with the vocal, the lack of trailing reverberation removes a primary psychoacoustic cue, 'drying it up' to some degree.

I guess what I meant to say is that I think such a vocal might be worked with. Not being able to hear the vocal mic, of course, that's just speculation. But I've worked in worse rooms under worse circumstances. You get by. And sometimes it turns out shockingly OK.

I'm not sure what you thought I meant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emwolb ➑️

Wow.

one more...

Right. See the above.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmikeperkins ➑️
He does not even need to wear a shirt to record vocals! Amazing.
still laughting after 5 min !!!! lllloooollllll
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well to the OP, to answer your statement. Your right it's not necessary, but preferred for a billion reasons probably.
πŸ“ Reply