Quantcast
Lil wayne has inspired me not to purchase ANY type of acoustic treatment gear - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Lil wayne has inspired me not to purchase ANY type of acoustic treatment gear
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullCount ➡️
What a lucky guy.. I'm here fiddling with my digital Hotel Room reverb presets, and he gets to record in a real Hotel room. Life just isn't fair.
You're lucky, man. I was playing with my entourage buss settings and my way-too-hot hooker plugin failed to authenticate.

I was, like, bereft.
Old 23rd September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
he also inspired me to play guitar...
Guitar Solo? - YouTube
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanyenorthwest ➡️
Dude just needs a mic and a stand, he ain't even got a reflection filter or nothin
Really shows you what a treasure and talent this guy is. Only the real pros can do it without a reflection filter.
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodeath ➡️
Really shows you what a treasure and talent this guy is. Only the real pros can do it without a reflection filter.
lol

Sent from my LG-P925
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
He used his gold grill as a d-esser/ wind screen...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I will never understand how hip-hop got so popular. That's just crap.
YES!
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If all you got is a hotel room, don't let it stop you from doin you thang. But I bet money this is just for scratch tracks/vocal ideas. Lil waynes recorded vox is characteristically heavily compressed and dry. Not saying a talented engineer couldn't make it work. But if you want to rap, any mic/room/reflective filter you have is going to work just fine...don't let it stop your creativity!

Sent from my LG-VS700
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I think he needs to invest in the ethan winer portable vocal booth thingy.

RealTraps - Vocal Booths

Maybe we all need to. Hmmm
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I just magnum quadrupled face palmed to the 3rd power myself at how noob/stupid and quick to make judgments some people here are.

I'm not going to get into detail on my relationship with that camp but I'm going to tell you all something that might surprise some of you. Wayne records all his vocals in a recording studio, in a legit vocal booth, in South Beach.

What you're seeing in that vid is him recording vocals that he had just written. Which is meant to keep on file as a reference track so the idea and vibe isn't forgotten. This is something ALL musicians do on tour. That way, when they get ready to track the next record they got 2-3yrs of material to look at and not just pull a record out of there ass in 6 months.

But hey, if u think its all bull****, please by all means continue to do your half ass bedroom recordings. Just don't come crying bloodymary on GS when u can't get that "pro" sound on your vocals or that they don't "sit right" in your mix.

This thread reminds me of a famous music industry quote.

"Amateurs think they know it all, Its the professional that's always looking for ways to improve"

Sent from my iPhone 5 with awesome talk.
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Chris ➡️
I just magnum quadrupled face palmed to the 3rd power myself at how noob/stupid and quick to make judgments some people here are.

I'm not going to get into detail on my relationship with that camp but I'm going to tell you all something that might surprise some of you. Wayne records all his vocals in a recording studio, in a legit vocal booth, in South Beach.

What you're seeing in that vid is him recording vocals that he had just written. Which is meant to keep on file as a reference track so the idea and vibe isn't forgotten. This is something ALL musicians do on tour. That way, when they get ready to track the next record they got 2-3yrs of material to look at and not just pull a record out of there ass in 6 months.

But hey, if u think its all bull****, please by all means continue to do your half ass bedroom recordings. Just don't come crying bloodymary on GS when u can't get that "pro" sound on your vocals or that they don't "sit right" in your mix.

This thread reminds me of a famous music industry quote.

"Amateurs think they know it all, Its the professional that's always looking for ways to improve"

Sent from my iPhone 5 with awesome talk.
That this is probably just a demo recording done while touring was pointed out in several comments earlier in this thread.
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I heard recording with no acoustic treatment only works if your fans are drunken morons wearing Beats by Dr Dre headphones. Make sure you don't leave something critical like that out.
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
sigh.. so many quotes in here its ridiculous.. but i'll just snatch a few:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyder boy ➡️
WOW!
This guy is the face of hip-hop, I can only hope it is a sign that it's about to fall from grace. The fact that mindless masses of asses buy this garbage would support the OP's concept on some sick level.
this is the same type of statement that has been made since the beginning or rap... but i must say, ALOT of the people that said this in the past, actually appreciate those rappers from the 80s and 90s now.. Hip Hop's here to stay buddy.. this aint disco. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsowa ➡️
There is garbage on the radio, and you certainly don't need much of a setup to record it. Standards are lower than ever. We're in a time of great democratic leveling, where everything is tailored to the LCD. This is something we should be happy about.........right?
this is true... and even tho we know MP3s are not the best at showing an audio recording's quality, we still listen to it.. we, the producer, are perfectionists... as we should be on our projects.. but there is a level of "quality" that the listening public is happy with.. who am i catering to? the public, or my fellow producer? if u dont have the resources, then u do it the best way u can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by halcyo ➡️
[email protected]$k it, BE inspired and run with it. Sometimes music is more about a feeling or an attitude. Make it anywhere, and do it with a passion. There are NO rules. Only tools.

If you have that part right, and the talent is special, I promise that 95% of the audience could care less about the technical quality of the recording.
exactly... the key word is "tools" as in software... one of the reasons ur seeing things like this happen is cuz technology has gotten so advanced that u CAN clean that up... why cant u? we now have software that can changed prerecorded guitar strings, and change a singers bad note in a mix.. fixing a vocal done in a hotel room is NOTHING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyChris ➡️
That is garbage.

I will never understand how hip-hop got so popular. That's just crap.
well.. before Wayne, there was Run DMC, Beastie Boys, Public Enemy, Tupac, KRS ONE, Common, LL Cool J, Stetsasonic, Eminem, Lauryn Hill... im just throwin names out there... must i continue?

but on the real... Hip Hop is popular now bcuz of ONE thing... not everyone in the world can sing... but damn near the whole planet thinks they can rap... its sorta like, not every producer can play an instrument or read music, but u give that same person a computer and they think theyre Quincy Jones now.. why? bcuz today its easier to do.. u couldnt get away with alot this 20-30 yrs ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 ➡️
Yeah... that's more what I expected would come out... although it's actually worse than I thought it would be.
to be fair, its sounds terrible anyway (the lyrics)... but its the autotune that makes it sound worse.

and now i'll go into these next 2 vids... the Chief Keef vid, which is also Hip Hop and done in the kitchen, and the Becky G vid (Dr Luke's Malibu home studio)... its funny how the Becky G vid didnt get as much criticism when it was posted earlier this year.. bottom line: while we're in here "facepalming", these guys are laughin all the way to the bank! if u dont have the funds to finance building a booth, or goin to a studio, then by all means, record ur vocals the best way u know how.. they might have an app to clean it up.. lol

da relic
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years

+300% WTF for OP esp at the end of the video is a featured video of him in a studio, but is this is troll post, well played

+ 20% PITY for those who dont know what pre production is

+100% WEEP for people thinking this is hip hop
Old 24th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suda Badri
+100% WEEP for people thinking this is hip hop
heh

And getting back to Slik's comment -- I know I'm not representative of the masses, but, for me, the use/addition of noticeable auto-tune makes everything worse. Including the news.
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
im not a supporter of autotune, but i think it was used perfectly on Jamie Fox's "Blame it" song.. i think people that can actually sing, actually enhance the device.. lol.. not too many songs sound as good as that one did after autotune was used.

da relic
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This is a great thread and one that we are all having some fun with.

But....for some serious wisdom regarding the original premise.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey ➡️
Many "natural" rooms sound great. "acoustically balanced" doesn't really mean anything...
Quote:
I think such a vocal might be worked with. Not being able to hear the vocal mic, of course, that's just speculation. But I've worked in worse rooms under worse circumstances. You get by. And sometimes it turns out shockingly OK.

Oh...wait.......
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik dA Relic ➡️
im not a supporter of autotune, but i think it was used perfectly on Jamie Fox's "Blame it" song.. i think people that can actually sing, actually enhance the device.. lol.. not too many songs sound as good as that one did after autotune was used.

da relic
I don't know that song but there are some Lady Gaga vocals with a load of 'sheen' that don't sound nearly as offensive to my ears -- because there aren't all those nasty glitches from jagged corrections, since she, very clearly, can sing.

(Her [presumably untuned] duet with Tony Bennet was pretty eye-opening on that front. She doesn't just have pipes. She has fine pop jazz moves and feel. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPAmDULCVrU )
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenny ➡️
This is a great thread and one that we are all having some fun with.

But....for some serious wisdom regarding the original premise.....

Oh...wait.......
I did say sometimes...
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I don't know that song[/url] )
"Blame it" was a good song.. it was a big hit in 2011... and Lady Gaga is more talented that alot of people know.

da relic
Old 26th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanyenorthwest ➡️
It actually sounds pretty good when it's all together lol

^ Thats what someone put together

I "think" this is the finished version after mixing but not sure, it could be just a completely re recorded verse

And to the people in this thread I wasn't actually being 100% serious with the thread title lol
I have to "fully admit" I didn't even play/look/listen to the clip AT ALL,before I asked "WTF is a gobo"?,but then I agreed with the Dr,without listening,as what lttle Iv'e seen[more than heard] of Wayne,I have'nt been "that" into,BUT watching the "first clip" now,I totally understand my comment,was "a L'il" redundant[?],as any vocal,especially one that is more "A Hip Hop Like rhyming Deal",than a line of 12 tone scale "type" notes,WITHOUT the backing,is going to sound,as always "way out of context"[and usually way"dodgy"]

I'm glad you posted at least what is somewhat,a tune that goes together with the "vocal only" in the first clip,and yeah,I still don't really dig it that much,but at least it makes some cognitive sense,and sounds like music "type stuff"
RK
Old 26th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcb4t2 ➡️
^ He couldn't find a t-shirt made with an acoustically transparent material... duh.
Actually, he took 4 mic stands, a case of empty beer bottles and his stanky shirt and turned it into a tuned limp ass vinyl bass trap right over by the puke bucket.
📝 Reply