Quantcast
Lil wayne has inspired me not to purchase ANY type of acoustic treatment gear - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Lil wayne has inspired me not to purchase ANY type of acoustic treatment gear
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
That is garbage.

I will never understand how hip-hop got so popular. That's just crap.
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyChris ➑️
That is garbage.

The entertainment industry has glamorized thugs and gangbangers, and imprisonment, as opposed to the media. A lack of parenting has children blind enough to idolize the worst of peers. I see it as a prime example of the decline of America, and the westernization of the world. Save a child, donate a violin.....
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
That is garbage.

Rap, if you're talking about the music...
Read this..

The Big Payback: The History of the Business of Hip-Hop: Dan Charnas: 9780451229298: Amazon.com: Books
Gear Guru

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
That is garbage.

A great many people have liked it very much over a long period of time. Draw from that what you will.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
That is garbage.

Can you judge all rock by Frijid Pink's horrific version of "House of the Rising Sun"? Can you judge all country by "Achey Breaky Heart"? Can you judge all big band pop by Mrs Miller's quavery and amazingly out of tune "Moon River"?

What I heard here over the cam mic (as far as I listened), as I noted, seemed to me like an embodiment of everything that rap-haters think rap is. If this sort of embrace of stupidity was all there was in hip hop, if all the rappers had this sort of inartful delivery, if this was all I'd ever heard, I'd wonder how the heck rap and hip hop got popular, myself.

Happily, I've heard a lot of stuff that struck me as great over the years. I've heard a lot of great music and some really intelligent -- not to mention funny/clever -- lyrics. Sure, a lot of crap, too. Just like rock. Just like country. Just like blues. Just like metal. There's just a lot of crap out there. And, sadly, from time to time, some real crap becomes popular. Just like in all the other genres.

PS... it's recently occurred to me that the couple of people who quoted me (and facepalmed my quotes heh ) may have somehow got it in their heads that I as suggesting that room treatment is not important. Probably 14,000 of my posts have been about how important it is. heh That said, as others note, treatment in your monitoring environment is not, by any means, the same as treatment in your live room. I don't mind being facepalmed... but I want to deserve it.
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanyenorthwest ➑️
Dude just needs a mic and a stand, he ain't even got a reflection filter or nothin

Kinda goes to show all that bass traps, acoustic foam etc isn't exactly 'neccessary' for recording vocals
Let's hear how your vocals are coming out without the room treatment.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
That is garbage.

To be fair this is a very poor representation of hip hop, if a representation at all so it doesn't make much sense to slam the whole genre based on this. Especially when so many don't consider this hip hop and wouldn't be caught dead listening to it. This is considered rap more than anything else.
Lives for gear

92 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Aristocrat ➑️
To be fair this is a very poor representation of hip hop, if a representation at all so it doesn't make much sense to slam the whole genre based on this. Especially when so many don't consider this hip hop and wouldn't be caught dead listening to it. This is considered rap more than anything else.
+1 Too much good hip-hop, rap. etc. for it to be criticised as a genre...perfect for the time...poetry and rhyme.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumin ➑️
You don't need acoustically balanced studio to record ****t...
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey ➑️
Not a live room, no. Many "natural" rooms sound great. "acoustically balanced" doesn't really mean anything...

Now, when recording vocals, it helps to have a reasonably dead room, unless you want to commit to the sound of that room as your ambience (most of the time, you don't). Hence most people use a dead-ish room, use a reflexion filter, or use a dynamic mic that doesn't pick up so much.

Control room - if you've not got a true room, how can you hear what you're doing?
...oh really!...
so you can turn **** into an awesome sounding crap?...
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
It actually sounds pretty good when it's all together lol

^ Thats what someone put together

I "think" this is the finished version after mixing but not sure, it could be just a completely re recorded verse

And to the people in this thread I wasn't actually being 100% serious with the thread title lol
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emwolb ➑️
The fact that you think that makes it not worth even discussing.

Heres one for you-

I have used it in the past to do it. I'm sorry that I forgot about how you know me better than I know myself and everything I do.
Old 22nd September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Lil wayne has inspired me not to buy any of his songs
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumin ➑️
...oh really!...
so you can turn **** into an awesome sounding crap?...
????
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmikeperkins ➑️
He does not even need to wear a shirt to record vocals! Amazing.
or a belt, apparently
Old 22nd September 2012
Deleted 6ccb844
AHA! This is too funny RESPECTA!!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-uk ➑️
Of all the dumb thing the audio retail industry have sold people that's the ultimate cookie.....
Reflection Filters?
That, usefully, stop some upper-mid reflections getting into the back of cardioid mics?
(The overwhelmingly most-used pattern for vox).

Oh... wait!
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Ransom ➑️
Reflection Filters?
That, usefully, stop some upper-mid reflections getting into the back of cardioid mics?
no silly, they catch your voice as it is heading out into the room and stop it from bouncing off the walls
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Ah, right.
I understand now why I can't hear the singer from behind a Reflection Filter...
Deleted 6ccb844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Ransom ➑️
Ah, right.
I understand now why I can't hear the singer from behind a Reflection Filter now...
LOL!, Are they really that bad?
Old 22nd September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Guyz stop hating , i seen videos about big names (rock , pop and all) even worst than that !!
the amont of work Wayne does is worth the respect alone ...tast is another debate !

To the op : sometime you want the sound of the room sometime no !! in rap we like dry shiiit and we process a lot in dynamics so this small room refelection will become obvious after 5 or six comprerssion (yep that much between tracks , addelead , buses main ...)

So treatment is higly recomended for takes and CRUCIAL for mixing

Reflexion filter is a good product also
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAMD ➑️
LOL!, Are they really that bad?
They are normally an inch of foam and mesh in a small panel behind the mic.
They can reduce a tiny part of the frequency spectrum, but I'm sure in certain situations they have value.
And sound (that isn't absorbed) flows around or through obstructions, like water-ripples around rocks... Not like an umbrella casting shadow from a light source.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq ➑️
no silly, they catch your voice as it is heading out into the room and stop it from bouncing off the walls
Maybe this thread could use a reflection filter because some of these posts are totally bouncing off the wall.

Not directed at you joeq but just a post in general: AFAIK when Wayne was as young as 8 yrs old he was calling and recording raps to Bryan Williams' (Cash Money Records) answering machine. Now there's a talent with something to say; something inside he loves to put out there. And it looks like he's still like that. That's an artist.

Whether some people understand rap or not, Lil Wayne is an artist with popular talent with something to say and something to contribute. It's also important to respect that he doesn't waste his talent and keep it to himself; he shares it with the world - which is more than a lot of people can say for themselves.
Old 22nd September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
This is how was my room back few years ago ...

and i alwyas took 2 or 3 of those forms with me on the road ...it alowed me to have decint vocals and saved me al lot of time :

2009 hotel session with Choppa , M11 (tru records) and Skrilla

HPIM1591.mp4 video by zoakajeezo - Photobucket
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I like the swing feel in the video much better than the final recording.
Old 22nd September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Well i was just trying to show my ghetto self made relexion filter
Old 22nd September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Lil' wayne usually inspires me to long bouts of depression and serious consideration of cannibalism as a lifestyle. That and pure laughter, if the emperor was ever naked....
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I had and consequently sold a reflexion filter. It did NOTHING that a pair of thick moving blankets didnt do BETTER for $20.

And as far as wayne is concerned, I think he is highly talented and insanely hard working. I think he is just kinda losing his freshness of late.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanyenorthwest ➑️
It actually sounds pretty good when it's all together lol

^ Thats what someone put together

I'm assuming someone put that together from the video cam audio... it does, indeed, sound totally awful and the room sound is overpowering. But then, with the mic way across the room on the cam (presumably), that's to be expected.

Quote:
I "think" this is the finished version after mixing but not sure, it could be just a completely re recorded verse

And to the people in this thread I wasn't actually being 100% serious with the thread title lol
Yeah... that's more what I expected would come out... although it's actually worse than I thought it would be.
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo ➑️
This is how was my room back few years ago ...

and i alwyas took 2 or 3 of those forms with me on the road ...it alowed me to have decint vocals and saved me al lot of time :

2009 hotel session with Choppa , M11 (tru records) and Skrilla

HPIM1591.mp4 video by zoakajeezo - Photobucket
dude that looks ****in awesome

wow I was actually gonna get the reflexion filter pro by SE but now I'm reconsidering
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
What a lucky guy.. I'm here fiddling with my digital Hotel Room reverb presets, and he gets to record in a real Hotel room. Life just isn't fair.
πŸ“ Reply