Quantcast
Lil wayne has inspired me not to purchase ANY type of acoustic treatment gear - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Lil wayne has inspired me not to purchase ANY type of acoustic treatment gear
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Keep saying it enough and you'll convince yourself that you're right.
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
The real shocker is that there's a huge amount of people who are impressed by this.
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
[email protected]$k it, BE inspired and run with it. Sometimes music is more about a feeling or an attitude. Make it anywhere, and do it with a passion. There are NO rules. Only tools.

If you have that part right, and the talent is special, I promise that 95% of the audience could care less about the technical quality of the recording.
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell ➑️
[...]
But stopping the video worked too. Lil Wayne's talent is lost on me. I bet that mic was clipping to shreds while he was "spitting" into it.

[...]
I have to say that, as someone for whom rap and hip hop really meant something during the 80s and into the 90s, seeing that vid was really a drag. It's almost as though someone decided to create an act that embodied all the worst cliches spewed by those obsessive rap-haters about hip hop. Listening was like having 50 IQ points sucked out of your head.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
You don't need acoustically balanced studio to record ****t...

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumin ➑️
You don't need acoustically balanced studio to record ****t...
Not a live room, no. Many "natural" rooms sound great. "acoustically balanced" doesn't really mean anything...

Now, when recording vocals, it helps to have a reasonably dead room, unless you want to commit to the sound of that room as your ambience (most of the time, you don't). Hence most people use a dead-ish room, use a reflexion filter, or use a dynamic mic that doesn't pick up so much.

Control room - if you've not got a true room, how can you hear what you're doing?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsowa ➑️
We're in a time of great democratic leveling, where everything is tailored to the LCD. This is something we should be happy about.........right?
In case you haven't heard, the LCD is actually considered "genius" now in publications like Spin.

So basically every crab that The Man has lifted out of the bucket is now also a "genius", or at least The Man (Spin) has said so.

Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyS ➑️
Well to the OP, to answer your statement. Your right it's not necessary, but preferred for a billion reasons probably.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
While I was watching this video, I was trying to figure out a way to "gobo" myself off from it.

But stopping the video worked too. Lil Wayne's talent is lost on me. I bet that mic was clipping to shreds while he was "spitting" into it.

Solid Engineering here!
THIS! Couldn't have phrased it better, so I won't.
Old 21st September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hey come on guys some of you know how it is If you hear a groove rock with it
I don't give a ........where it is get the idea down man Now lil Wayne has got
enough money to record in any studio he wants Probably I'm sure has a million
dollar studio of his own I'm Jazz R&B but I ain't gone hate!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
All this wasted time on arguing art and acoustic treatment, you guys have failed to notice how awesome that fruit basket is on the table!

Now that is inspiration my friends....
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I think the statement that started the thread off and the reaction of "purists" is taking this all in the wrong direction.

Is this an endorsement that no one should use room treatment for vocal recording? No. All this is an example of, is that if you want to record in a room, with no treatment, you can. There are no specific rules. There are just choices. If you find a room that just sounds right, you record in it and your vocals sit well in the mix every time, good for you, but you can't take that fact out to the public and say to them that they no longer have to consider using treatment.

I absolutely use treatment and high end outboard too, because that is what works for me, but there are tons of examples of top artists recording in odd rooms, bathrooms, corridors, several stories of hotel rooms (this Lil Wayne video appears to be in a hotel room), even outdoors too. If it works, it works and it shouldn't be something that we question. If the output of it works, then it was the right room or place to record in. Obviously, Lil Wayne feels that for his voice and the kind of record he is trying to put out, this works for him. It DOESN'T however, mean it is going to work for anyone else.

Another thing I have to add to this is, whether Lil Wayne records in his hotel room or his trainer ("sneakers" for the U.S crowd) cupboard, this recording is going to go to some poor engineer, who is going to spend the rest of his days, cleaning that vocal up and making it sound beautiful (well, I doubt anything Lil Wayne does can sound beautiful, but you know what I mean). It won't go out like that. It will be run through every kind of denoising plugin known to man, then it will get run through an 1176 and a 480L or Briscati before it hits the streets. Of course, the story will be......"Yeh, I recorded that in my hotel room" but the reality will be, it came out like it did, because he had the multi-million pound studio and seasoned engineer to polish the turd afterwards.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob King ➑️
All this wasted time on arguing art and acoustic treatment, you guys have failed to notice how awesome that fruit basket is on the table!

Now that is inspiration my friends....
indeed.
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
This is probably an accurate representation of how low standards have fallen.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 ➑️
I have to say that, as someone for whom rap and hip hop really meant something during the 80s and into the 90s, seeing that vid was really a drag. It's almost as though someone decided to create an act that embodied all the worst cliches spewed by those obsessive rap-haters about hip hop. Listening was like having 50 IQ points sucked out of your head.
almost?
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Aristocrat ➑️
This is probably an accurate representation of how low standards have fallen.
I agree. I couldnt care less if people want to be ignorant however. I only have 3 242 panels from GIK because I'm broke but if I could I'd get more. Eventually I will. Right now I am moving my set up into my living room and putting my 3 panels in a corner. Should sound better than a concrete floor garage that also suffers from refrigerator and outside noise bleed. From day 1 with the panels I could easily hear the different. It also made mixing a bit easier in my opinion.

Sent from my LG-P925
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
WOW!
This guy is the face of hip-hop, I can only hope it is a sign that it's about to fall from grace. The fact that mindless masses of asses buy this garbage would support the OP's concept on some sick level.

He was actually good back when he was with the HOT BOYS, but have you ever seen this guy live? Or any rap for that matter, every time they try to bring this stuff to the stage...

I would rather listen to two cats F**cking.
Old 21st September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
can anyone tell wich mic he uses in that vid?
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanyenorthwest ➑️
Dude just needs a mic and a stand, he ain't even got a reflection filter or nothin

Kinda goes to show all that bass traps, acoustic foam etc isn't exactly 'neccessary' for recording vocals

Well when your not SINGING or PLAYING anything I guess your right
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Mark ➑️
The SPL De-Verb can kind of remove the room, Emwolb.
The fact that you think that makes it not worth even discussing.

Heres one for you-

Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
facepalms being handed out left right and center.
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanyenorthwest ➑️
Dude just needs a mic and a stand, he ain't even got a reflection filter or nothin

Kinda goes to show all that bass traps, acoustic foam etc isn't exactly 'neccessary' for recording vocals

Congrats to lil wayne!
Lives for gear

92 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Anyone else hear room service in the background?
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob King ➑️
Haha. It's more interesting for sure.
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It seems 1 take Timmy needs punches
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I bet that mic was clipping to shreds while he was "spitting" into it.

Solid Engineering here!
Yeah, I cannot imagine getting a clean signal at that level and distance, that capsule has to be in shock.....
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Aristocrat ➑️
almost?
Obsessive qualifier.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone ➑️
Anyone else hear room service in the background?
heh
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I have never found a sample of one to be statistically valid.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxavier ➑️
Is this an endorsement that no one should use room treatment for vocal recording? No.
the OP and the thread title seem to think so...

... so a defense against that proposition is certainly in order
πŸ“ Reply