Quantcast
La Chapell 583 with different tubes - Thoughts - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
La Chapell 583 with different tubes - Thoughts
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
La Chapell 583 with different tubes - Thoughts

I recently got a La Chapell 583 pre with some different tubes and thought I would share my thoughts and invite others to chime in.

I have wanted one of these pres ever since I read a review in Tape op a couple of years back.

After swapping a couple of emails with Scott at La Chapell ( really nice guy, helpful too!). I decided to try out a few different tubes. Here's what I found,

Firstly a great sounding mic pre , I did a session with an English band called Daughter on 4AD where we were officially recording drums but recorded a quick guide vocal. The next day the band texted me to ask what mic pre and reverb I had used. As they were familier with the mic we used but wanted to know the rest.
First time that's ever happened!

I had a chance to try the different tubes today, my thoughts were-

Tesla 32 tube- Has a nice extended low with enjoyable midrange

Mullard - seemed brighter and clearer but still a nice tone .

Telefunken - brighter than the Tesla but not the Mullard perhaps harmonically a little richer than the Mullard.

Fender 7025 - surprisingly nice , good low end, soft mids.

I would be interested to know anyone else's findings on these ?

I read somewhere one engineer saying that microphones and pre amps were like the brushes we use to create . My thoughts on having the interchangeable tubes is that it gives you a whole different range of brush tips to finess what you're trying to achieve.

Anyway along with a A designs P1 the La Chapell are my current pres of choice for most of the higher range of the frequency spectrum stuff. (vocals , acoustics,strings, oh's ,cymbals,hh etc )

Will have to write a report about the p1 too soon as really loving that thing !

Cheers,

Brett
📝 Reply