Quantcast
TC electronic M2000 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
TC electronic M2000
Old 20th September 2012
  #1
Gear Maniac
 
Aniol1349's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
TC electronic M2000

Hey guys!

just a quick question, I can get a TC electornic M2000 unit for Β£220,
is obviously used and it has around 8 years..

do you think it will be a good purchase as for my first hardware reverb?
I was trying to find some info about this unit on the forum but I couldn't really find anything..

Thanks!
Old 20th September 2012
  #2
Gear Guru
 
AllAboutTone's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
It's a great unit, I don't know about your chips though as in $$$
Old 20th September 2012
  #3
Lives for gear
 
KRStudio's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
It's a very good unit and the price seems in the right ball park. The digital connections only do 44.1 and 48 so keep that in mind.
Old 20th September 2012
  #4
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 15 years
I used one for years, and in fact just took it out of mothballs and hooked it back up as a temporary (or possibly long-term) replacement for UAD plugins in a new system. I haven't tracked the used prices lately, but that seems reasonable.

It's a step down from the VSS3 algorithms in the higher-end TC verbs, but still much better than most of the plugin reverbs I've auditioned lately in the "algorithmic real space" style of reverb. It won't duplicate the thick Lexicon sound, but for realistic spaces it's a great little reverb.

As Jeff noted, it's 44.1/48 only on the digital connection, but you can always go analog connection if you need to run a project at a higher sample rate, and you have the I/O to spare. The internal converters are very clean, and I used to run it analog in an old system. The digital connection is nice, but it's not quite as critical as pushing your whole mix through an outboard mix buss chain.
Old 20th September 2012
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Nick Morris's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
The price seems about right, but I would pass. Digital effects like that can be done with plugins. Get a nice plugin reverb. 2c audio B2 will sound far better than this unit.
Old 20th September 2012
  #6
Gear Maniac
 
Aniol1349's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Thanks for all the replies!

I realize that I'm in a need of a better reverb and it's a tough one, I really wanted a hardware unit..I was also thinking about used lexicon pcm but it is a wee bit too dear..

the B2 seems like a nice plugin..I also tried the Softtube TSAR-1 and they are all great, but I think I would like to invest in something tangible..the only reverb plugin so far I would buy would be Altiverb, bo for now I don't have the funds..
Old 20th September 2012
  #7
Lives for gear
 
ddageek's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
buy it, its a nice unit, not quite the higher end TCs but Ill bet you wont be sorry!
Old 21st September 2012
  #8
Gear Addict
 
IntelDoc's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Its great unit. Like the others have said - not the M3000, but that price is great and the dual channel capability allows you to really build space. You can have the left side have a long plate and pan it, then have the right be a totally different verb..... Very fun unit...

I have had one for about 7 years now and use it all the time for vocals.
Old 21st September 2012
  #9
Gear Maniac
 
Aniol1349's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
I just bought it!

I'm sure is gonna be an amazing unit for me!

Thanks
Old 21st September 2012
  #10
Lives for gear
 
jude's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
look into the morphing feature, its awesome
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
  #11
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniol1349 ➑️
I just bought it!

I'm sure is gonna be an amazing unit for me!

Thanks
I bet you'll be grinning. Contrary what people say here, last time I fired one up it went 'whoaa' like NO plugin reverb does. No, it isn't a Lexicon, nor does it try to be, but it does a great big, believable (unlike most plugs, somehow...), utterly useable space.....and some nifty mod stuff too.......
Old 21st September 2012
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Nick Morris's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
What is it that people are hearing in these units that no plugin reverb can do? I sold off my reverb4000 and lexicon PCM91's because of Aether, lexicon PCM, B2, Altiverb could do as good or better.

Think about it, the m2000 sounds ok, but it does not sound as good as a m3000, right? The m3000 uses the vss3 algos. Those are available in plugin format.

To think that the plugin could not possibly match (or better) that box is flat out wrong in my opinion.

A plugin like aether would be cheaper, more convenient, and can potentially sound better with the option of more instances.
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
  #13
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Morris ➑️
Think about it, the m2000 sounds ok, but it does not sound as good as a m3000, right? The m3000 uses the vss3 algos. Those are available in plugin format.

To think that the plugin could not possibly match (or better) that box is flat out wrong in my opinion.
To think a plugin will sound the same or better because it (allegedly) has the same algorithms as a piece of hardware is what's flat out wrong in my world. It's (brutally simplified) logic over reality. YMMV
Old 21st September 2012
  #14
Lives for gear
 
Nick Morris's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Try it out for yourself. What is the difference if the computer running the algorithms is in a small one unit rack that TC put together compared to another computer you put together. It's just a program. Does windows 7 function any differently on a computer from Microsoft compared to one you built?

I understand that converters (if you run it analog) come into play, but you can easily top the quality of converters in these hardware reverb units.

-bricasti is one of the exceptions along with possibly a few others.

Today's computers have sooooo much more available processing power than they use to. Your argument about plugin reverb use to hold up. But not in the last few years.

In my opinion, the best reverb unit is the bricasti. Open it up and see what is inside. The unit has a ton of processing power to be able to perform the algorithms. Once computers have much more power than that unit, a plugin that surpasses it will be made.
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
  #15
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Morris ➑️
Try it out for yourself. What is the difference if the computer running the algorithms is in a small one unit rack that TC put together compared to another computer you put together. It's just a program. Does windows 7 function any differently on a computer from Microsoft compared to one you built?

I understand that converters (if you run it analog) come into play, but you can easily top the quality of converters in these hardware reverb units.

-bricasti is one of the exceptions along with possibly a few others.

Today's computers have sooooo much more available processing power than they use to. Your argument about plugin reverb use to hold up. But not in the last few years.

In my opinion, the best reverb unit is the bricasti. Open it up and see what is inside. The unit has a ton of processing power to be able to perform the algorithms. Once computers have much more power than that unit, a plugin that surpasses it will be made.
I am quite aware of all those 'facts'. And I will have to say I have not heard all the plugin reverbs. Heard most though, and there is still a difference in tangibility to me. I couldn't care less about why something in theory should work in a certain way, as my experience tells me studio gear doesn't respect that type of logic. It's never that simple. And all my cheap reverbs (Dynacord DRP15, Ibanez SDR1000+, Midiverb II, Korg DRV1000, Roland RSP550, Yamaha R1000, Pioneer SR202) still do stuff that sounds nicer to me than any plugin. And these are total cheapos!! To hell with theory.
Old 21st September 2012
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Nick Morris's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I guess the question is, which plugins have you used?

We are probably talking about different plugins really then.

I am speaking about my experience, with aether and b2 by 2c audio and the PCM lexicon plugins. Altiverb doesn't count.
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
  #17
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Morris ➑️
I guess the question is, which plugins have you used?

We are probably talking about different plugins really then.

I am speaking about my experience, with aether and b2 by 2c audio and the PCM lexicon plugins. Altiverb doesn't count.
Used Aether, Lex PCM and Altiverb. Most things, not used UAD Lex224 though, which I expect to be good, nor Valhalla room.....

It's not like the plugs aren't good now, they are. But it's still a different sensation of physicality with the hardware sound, even in the cheaper versions.
Old 22nd September 2012
  #18
Lives for gear
 
sdelsolray's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I've used a TC M2000 for many years in my gigging rig. I've tried it in the recording studio, and it certainly has decent moments there. However, in the studio concerning reverbs, I prefer Altiverb by a large margin.
Old 22nd September 2012
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Nick Morris's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray ➑️
I've used a TC M2000 for many years in my gigging rig. I've tried it in the recording studio, and it certainly has decent moments there. However, in the studio concerning reverbs, I prefer Altiverb by a large margin.
My experience too.
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 4 views: 1753
Avatar for cosmos
cosmos 18th October 2006
replies: 63 views: 23125
Avatar for stephent28
stephent28 8th December 2011
replies: 204 views: 52994
Avatar for Hardtoe
Hardtoe 6th November 2014
replies: 37 views: 14984
Avatar for charles chocula
charles chocula 10th October 2017
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump