Quantcast
Which XLR cable for bluebird mic? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Which XLR cable for bluebird mic?
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Which XLR cable for bluebird mic?

I have a bluebird microphone and a focusrite interface, I'm just confused as to which xlr cable to buy to plug them in together as I thought there was just one type but there's so many.

Could anyone possibly give me a link for a good type or whatever, I really have no idea what I'm doing.. Not sure whether to trust the cheapish one's on ebay
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
All XLR cables do the same thing. It's a bit like comparing a red car to a blue one.
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Guru

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I bought some cheap ($10) Whirlwinds a few years ago, and they've been fine in and out of the studio. I step on em, pull on em, tie em in knots, etc... no problems to date.
I also make my own from Belden and Switchcraft. Those are good too, but more expensive and more work at the end of the day.

People will argue for days about the "sound" of mic cable. I don't go there.
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

8 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Buy the blue one.
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanyenorthwest ➑️
I have a bluebird microphone and a focusrite interface, I'm just confused as to which xlr cable to buy to plug them in together as I thought there was just one type but there's so many.

Could anyone possibly give me a link for a good type or whatever, I really have no idea what I'm doing.. Not sure whether to trust the cheapish one's on ebay
As others have mentioned, almost any decent quality cable will work. Cables made with better connectors such as Neutrik or Switchcraft and better quality wire such as Canare, Mogami or Belden may last longer and be more reliable than a cable made with a "no-name" wire and cheap Chinese connectors.

One of the ONLY real differences in cable design that has any real-world value to consider is if the cable is "single-balanced" (using (2) wires for the audio signal) and one return (ground) wire or "double-balanced" (using (4) wires for the audio signal) and one return (ground) wire. In most home or studio situations there will be no audible difference between them, BUT in a live, stage situation where the mic cable may be placed near power or lighting cables, there can be a dramatic difference in the amount of electrical noise picked up. In that situation, the "double-balanced" cable will often be much more resistant to electrical noise.

Personally, I use only "double-balanced" cables as an additional measure of security against induced noise.

These are very well made Neutrik/Canare "double-balanced" cables, and are available in (10) colors.
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Thanks for all the help guys, and cheers lotus for clearing that up I understand a lot better now.

Appreciate the help!
Old 20th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
just buy some neutrik connectors and a mogami cable make your own with the best products.
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Whole roll of Belden or Gotham cable and lots of Neutrik xlr connectors and make your own as needed, the sound is always abouts the same if properly screened but quality stuff lasts way longer.
Try cheaper cables in the field for some months or years

Matti
πŸ“ Reply