Quantcast
FMR Audio - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
FMR Audio
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
FMR Audio

Not sure if it's high or low end.. that's what I'm questioning.

I saw RNC and RNL.
They look good.. pretty cheap, good box, stereo.
How do they sound on your experience?
Any clips / samples?

Grabbing 4 of these for 1000$ will be great but I'm wondering if they're worth.
Old 20th September 2012
bitewounds
Hey Sino,

I own an RNC.. it's clean and very polite. Not much else I can say. If you want me to run a file through it for you, let me know. Else there's plenty of threads around to read up on FMR stuff (as if you didn't know that).
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Forget high or low - just understand they are a well made, quality product for VERY little money. There is nothing inadequate or wrong with them. Especially if you decide to add a couple PBC-6A compressors to your collection.
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm a huge fan of FMR Audio - maybe more so than any other manufacturer out there. Their products are great. When the price is taken into consideration, every piece they make is a stupidly good deal. They should charge a whole lot more for their stuff. The RNC is an amazingly clean no-frills compressor that does what it says on the tin and always sounds at least very good. I also own 2 RNP's and 2 PBC-6A's. All of them are used extensively in my studio daily. In fact, I just shot out the RNP against some 1073's and my console pre's this morning on a couple of sources and they do amazingly well, to the point where I prefer them in some instances.
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Although the wall warts ABSOLUTELY DO MY HEAD IN, I do heart the FMR Range.

There have been many other budget products like the Focusrite Green and Platinum range, TL Audio Ivory range or anything Behringer just to name a few and alot of those products are now far too common on the used pages.

Yet with FMR, they have come out with something, that is professional, quality, affordable, versatile and does alot more than what it says on the tin. Even though I have more expensive alternatives in the studio, they will always have a place, because they do what they do really well.

Often, you get what you pay for with studio gear and you can end up regretting that you didn't spend more, but it is nice to have the odd exception to the rule, and FMR is definitely one of those special exceptions.

I just wish they would make a stereo version of the PBC-6A, as I can't take buying two mono units and having to accommodate another TWO wall warts!! I think a stereo version would make a few pound signs
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
+1 more on the FMR gear. I have an RNP, a few RNCs and an RNLA. Good stuff. Buy it, use it, enjoy the results.
Old 20th September 2012
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
BIG thumbs up for FMR Audio

High Quality hardware, Affordable Prices..

I use my RNC and RNLA on every session!

Though I need to buy some RNP's, come to think of it..easy enough!

Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

10 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
You just gotta love FMR. Every studio should have at least one of their boxes.
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Hey Adam, quick question. I know FMR threads are a dime a dozen, but I was just curious what YOU find yourself using the RNLA on, and how you use it. I use my RNC on every session and was considering an RNLA. Thanks for your input.
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
FMR definitely gets a lot of love around here...and rightly so. All of their products are low dough/high quality. Highly recommended.
Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by myHero ➑️
Hey Adam, quick question. I know FMR threads are a dime a dozen, but I was just curious what YOU find yourself using the RNLA on, and how you use it. I use my RNC on every session and was considering an RNLA. Thanks for your input.
I don't discriminate! I use them for compression and limiting!

These compressors just work for me as compressors!! I know that sounds dumb but it makes perfect sense to me. That's all they are...is simple well designed compressor/limiters with clean audio path electronics. No BS...Ever with an FMR Audio Device.

Basically, these little things don't sound broken to me, like most cheapo compression boxes do. They sound clean enough for me to use everywhere, but honestly...it would take ten posts to detail it..

Over the general array of different chains and applications, I find I am able to sweep through the controls to find quality sounding result pretty fast. I typically use them to gently shape the highest peaks, and keep things even and controlled before the recorder, and when in mixing, I use them as Stereo Compressors for Sub Groups.

If you like the RNC, you will also like the RNLA, and I like to choose between them for "clean, vallina, soft serve", versus, "round, hair and glue"...

hope this helps

peace
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I've always been happy with my RNC and RNLA. I have them in my patchbay ready to go but I use them most as Buss Compressors on my Board. I have 8 busses. 1-2 go to JDK R22, 3-4 go to ART VLAII, 5-6 go to RNLA, and 7-8 go to either RNC or APhex Dominators. That way I can send anything in my mix to any Compressors for different colors. It is a modified version of what Michael Brauer does but on a much humbler level. It works and the FMR's are awesome.
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I have all three FMR compressors and like them all, the PBC is the standout for me and it's always in use when tracking lead vocals.
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I've been completely satisfied using just my ZED pre's for 5 years now, bought the RNLA a month ago and love the sound of it in my signal chain so much I can't bring myself to take it out.

Even if I'm not compressing the RNLA stays on for the added sweetness.

To me that's well worth the $225 I paid. Plus, the service from Mark and Beth was extremely personal. Thumbs High.
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Adam, appreciate the input!
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by myHero ➑️
Adam, appreciate the input!
Old 11th October 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
fmr 500series-style box?

Theres no way to daisy chain or power multiple fmr units.. is there? (without a furman rack power conditioner?) itd be pretty awesome to make a little lunch box -ish size unit to make a sleek, portable recording setup..

i could be wrong, but i thought i read somewhere that you could use one of these voodoo labs pedal power things? http://cdn1.gbase.com/usercontent/ge...w1jbuzq_so.jpg

if thats true i want to try it. 500 series gear is cool but I cant afford to make the jump quite yet..

anyone? thoughts??
Old 11th October 2012
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I sold mine for Symetrix and Aphex full size, metal cased, sturdier, no wall wart, balanced in and out units. I am thinking about getting the RNLA back though.

The RNC is very clean and polite, indeed. I guess I prefer compressors that "add" a little of something. I also did not like that the pots and knobs on the FMRs were sort of flimsy and floppy...seemed cheap. I did like the clarity of the sound. Very transparent, good smooth compressor action.

I got the best use out of the RNLA, I liked it on acoustic guitar and drum overheads, for smoothing and fattening of those tingly sounds.

The new RNLA cosmetics look really nice, don't know if everyone's seen the update.

Never owned the PBC-6A.
Attached Thumbnails
FMR Audio-new-rnla.jpg  
Old 11th October 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I have the RNC and RNLA and use both often. The RNLA I use frequently. Of the two I definitely like that one better, for the same reason monkeyxx mentioned - I tend to like compression that adds a little something. I love the RNC for being the tool that it is - it's utilitarian, it controls volume as close to transparently as I need. But also a duty I trust more to plugins, while the RNLA has a bit of character to it and is something I like using out of the box when I can. Here the RNLA gets used most on vocals and bass guitar. It sounds great on kick too but I'm not usually compressing that on the way in. I use the RNC on vocals and acoustic guitars that are going in a mix that's very clean and neutral. I think of the RNC like an AKG C414 and the RNLA as something like an AT4047 or SM7b. None of them are ridiculously colored, but the latter certainly DO SOMETHING to the sound itself, while the former are more about presenting the sound in a flat, crisp, utilitarian way.
Old 11th October 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I have an RNP/RNC combo and I cant recommend them enough. Phenomenal units at a price point that just can not be beat.

also, +1 on being annoyed by the wall warts. definitely the only downside to them.
Old 11th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Another for the FMR RNC!!! Great little box. When one of my "expensive mojo" pieces doesn't work, the RNC most likely will. It's great for simply compression...no bells and whistles...it just works. Clean, smooth, easy to dial in...I'm not scared to use it on anything...and it's great for tracking vocals without imprinting a compressed sound on them. I actually want another one, and a couple PBC-6A's too!

In my opinion, they aren't attractive like some gear, but...they are so nice to work with, and so much easier to dial in than a lot of other hardware/software comps.
Old 11th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
RNP

two channels of an honest and well performing pre amp for short money

RNC

a real compressor that does exactly what its supposed to do. You have to train yourself to use a compressor, and this is a great box to learn how to use one. I am trying recently as a 2 buss compressor for mixing. Learning from doing so.

PBC:

The best compressor I have used on vocals, its special. Want a second one for 2 buss mixing. Understand this a great application.

I agree that a 2 x PBC pkg would be great
Old 11th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sino ➑️
Not sure if it's high or low end..
Quality is high end but price is low end... How often does that happen?
Before I owned an RNC and RNL, I would have said never.

Like all gear though, results depend on the user.
Old 11th October 2012
Gear Nut

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
with the rnc - i began to understand, what exactly a compressor is used for.. before it was just - "yeah, lets put a compressor in the insert, the pros do that too"

i hopehopehope that they'll somewhen release an EQ..
Old 11th October 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I own a couple of each of the FMR compressors. They get used more than any other compressors in my rig.

RNC

Extra clean and forgiving. Super Nice mode on the 2 buss is superb.

RNLA

The only way to describe the RNLA is DELICIOUS!

PBC-6A

Can be super gentle or have the attitude of a rattlesnake and everything in between. Absolutely incredible compressor at any price.

David
πŸ“ Reply