Quantcast
using an inexpensive console as a router and submixer - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
using an inexpensive console as a router and submixer
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
using an inexpensive console as a router and submixer

The console in question is a Soundtracs Solo Midi 24x8. I'm asking in terms of mixing and processing. I've only played around with the console but rewiring my system to try this will be a large endeavor so I wanted some opinions of the concept first. Without you knowing the console I still think opinions about the idea will be helpful.

Alright the way I work now is I run up to 8 already recorded tracks out through up to 8 ch compression and custom chain them to whatever of my 8 ch eqs and rerecord back to computer. Tracking is usually clean as most tracks are not recorded by me but home studio users. All comps and eqs are pretty high end like cranesong stc8 , Slate Dragon, and Massive Passive. After rerecord I repatch for summing on my Neve 8816. Sound is great but I spend huge amounts of time patching hardware and software routing.

My thought is I have 24 channels compression I could place inline on the board channels. I do have 24 I/O. I could choose the compressor simply by routing output to that number channel. I only have 8 hardware eqs. If I were to put these on the boards 8 busses. I never have to touch a patch cable again! And I could just pick the eqs with the boards bus buttons. I could also use the board attaced to neve 8816 inputs. (Using multiple bus outs and some ch direct outs) The board can be like a big patcbay for all my gear. I could even use a touch of board eq during summing. Question is how much of a sound quality hit will I take running all this high end pure signal paths but routing on a cheap board. Mind you some ppl say soundtracs is good stuff but is it a signal clouder when running to and from high end outboard?
📝 Reply