piano lyre pedal repair? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
piano lyre pedal repair?
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 5 years
piano lyre pedal repair?

Those wooden dowels inside the lyre can break when piano movers tilt your grand up on the lyre. The lyre was loose when I looked at the piano-so I'm giving my mover the benefit of the doubt on this one.

After some drilling, cutting, and sanding with a rotary tool, I've removed the broken dowel. It was so well glued together that it's difficult to tell how long the dowel actually was.

Any ideas how deep the dowel is supposed to sit in the post? I can't tell how far down the new dowel needs to go.

It's a Yamaha G3 if that matters.
Attached Thumbnails
piano lyre pedal repair?-dscn0501-small-.jpg  
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 5 years
There's a 2 7/8" long screw that goes through the dowel into the post. The exposed part of the dowel above the post in the picture is 1 5/8" long. So the part of the dowel inserted in the post would have to be 1 1/4" less whatever depth the screw needs to be to hold in the post.

So I'm guessing the dowel needs to be inserted somewhere between 3/4" to 1" for the 2 7/8" screw to bite into the post.

The other thing that's curious is that the dowels were apparently installed by the factory in an offset from center such that the edge of the dowel is only about 1/16 from the edge of the post instead of being centered in the post.

If the dowel had been centered in the post, I could have drilled out the dowel with a fostner bit to 1 1/4" diameter and used a commonly available 1 1/4" dowel to make the repair. As it is, the dowel is some in-between size which makes the repair more challenging.

I bring this up to explain the aggravation involved in fixing this thing when your piano movers finally succeed in breaking it by tilting your grand piano up on the pedal lyre.
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 5 years
Last tip for any unfortunate soul needing to do this job.

Finding the correct sized dowell turned out to be impossible. I don't have a wood lathe. The way around this is to drill a hole in the center of an oversized dowel, insert a bolt through the hole, lock the bolt in place with a nut, and then insert the bolt into a drill press. You need a long enough bolt to chuck into the drill press.

Tried sanding it down by holding the sandpaper to the dowel--painfully slow. Then I tried a rasp with micro edges, and that got it knocked down to size pretty quickly. I used a digital caliper to check the size of the dowell until I got it to the diameter I needed.
๐Ÿ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…