Quantcast
Finger protection for occasional guitarists - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Finger protection for occasional guitarists
Old 19th September 2012
Finger protection for occasional guitarists

Anyone ever used anything like this?

M3 Products, LLC-Home featuring Gorilla Tips fingertip protectors created for those who experience pain associated with playing guitar
Original Guitar Fingers - pain protection for sore finger tips

I play guitar only sporadically so I never get good calluses going. When I do play, seems like I'm having to play like all day, every day for a week to get whatever it is done in a timely fashion. I need something to protect my fingers so I can do this without destroying my finger tips. These look pretty promising. I was just wondering how well they work, which ones are best etc.
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnihilationRob ➑️
Anyone ever used anything like this?

M3 Products, LLC-Home featuring Gorilla Tips fingertip protectors created for those who experience pain associated with playing guitar
Original Guitar Fingers - pain protection for sore finger tips

I play guitar only sporadically so I never get good calluses going. When I do play, seems like I'm having to play like all day, every day for a week to get whatever it is done in a timely fashion. I need something to protect my fingers so I can do this without destroying my finger tips. These look pretty promising. I was just wondering how well they work, which ones are best etc.
Ten bucks?

Well, if you've got the ten bucks and this makes some kind of sense to you, why not try it out?

My thoughts on looking at this are these:

Most less experienced (and so less calloused) guitarists already have problems getting fingering right. I could easily imagine something like this making that just that much harder. For them.*

Nylon string guitars are a good choice for many beginning guitarists -- even if most beginning guitarists don't like their sound (because they want to play those shimmery, steel string strums). They allow one to put in the kind of time that many enthusiastic beginning guitarists want to put in without bruising the fingertips -- but all the while building callouses. They are also a little more 'tolerant' of imprecise finger placement from fingers pulling this way or that on strings. Nylon strings don't seem to change pitch to quite the same degree when accidentally 'bent.'

To the extent that one wants to get better, one is going to need to play more, and that implies that, sooner or later, one will have to bring one's callouses up to speed.

* I do understand that you aren't really interested in being a guitarist so much as being able to play some guitar for your recordings, so, you know, you may have to find your own balance on all this. If the finger protectors actually work for you, then they might be just the thing. Even if they do cost $2.50 a piece.
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I hosted a friend's drumset at my studio for a year. He was only able to come down and "visit" his drums about once every other week. He would play for hours straight to make up for all the lost days. Then he would develop terrible blisters because he had not practiced all week and worked on his callouses (he was not a "practice pad" kind of guy!)

he used something called Newskin* to cover the blisters and to protect his hands from developing new ones. It is sold as a "liquid bandage". I practice every day, so I didn't need it, but I put some on my hand anyway to check it out, and it seems like it makes a pretty stable protective layer.

[*NOT to be confused with "Nu-skin" which is a Multi-Level-Marketing scam a la Mary Kay or Amway]

Anyway, I think NewSkin would be WAY less inhibiting than plastic gizmos on your fingers. I would imagine even a good guitarist would have trouble playing with such a thing and of course then your callouses would NEVER develop. Frankly, to me they look like a horrible idea.

They are priced right at the point where they can remain a horrible idea and still get sales because they appear to address a problem that is quite common, the finger pain of the beginning guitarist. I wonder how much REPEAT business they get?

Quote:
When I do play, seems like I'm having to play like all day, every day for a week to get whatever it is done in a timely fashion.
I know the feeling. Playing the parts on "not your instrument" takes twice as much time as your "real axe". But perhaps the solution to your problem is not physically protecting your fingers - but in better planning and better Time Management. If you spread out your guitar tracking sessions over the month, your callouses would form and not have a chance to atrophy because you would play a little bit each week.
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
You guys ever tried Newskin? It can sting like a bitch. My advice: Man up and develop those finger calluses. Don't be a wuss. Or, just play more often
Old 19th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq ➑️
[...]
They are priced right at the point where they can remain a horrible idea and still get sales because they appear to address a problem that is quite common, the finger pain of the beginning guitarist. I wonder how much REPEAT business they get?

[...]
heh

The pricing screams one-time-only buyer. They need to rake in the most they can from every 'set' they sell, I'm guessing. 'Cause I doubt they get any repeat customers -- and I'll bet not much positive word-of-mouth, either. I could be wrong. But I don't think so.

Toughing up is definitely the way to go for those who want to play guitar on an ongoing basis, but I get OP's issue that he just needs to be able to play (hopefully without pain) every once in a while.

I'll say this -- I don't play all that much less than I have in the past, but my callouses aren't the ultra-heavy, hard to the touch, perennially grooved things they were. Some of that might be age (why not, everything else changes heh ) but I tend to think it's a different playing style. I'm not clamping my hand in one place and hanging on for dear life bar after bar so much in the way I play now. (I used to sometimes bruise the tips of my fingers from the amount of pressure I brought down on strings.) I seem to have a lighter touch now.
Old 20th September 2012
I run a recording studio full time, and I also occasionally write and record music for singer/songwriter types. Work basically dictates when I play. Working on my calluses is something I could do outside of work, but if there is a solution like those finger guards I would rather go that route. I get enough music during the day and I'd rather not have to spend my evenings working on calluses that I'll only really use every other month.
Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnihilationRob ➑️
I run a recording studio full time, and I also occasionally write and record music for singer/songwriter types. Work basically dictates when I play. Working on my calluses is something I could do outside of work, but if there is a solution like those finger guards I would rather go that route. I get enough music during the day and I'd rather not have to spend my evenings working on calluses that I'll only really use every other month.
they strike me as really goofy and inhibiting to any real nuanced musical performance. It's not like you are catching for Aroldis Chapman.

I have a strong hunch you aren't going to find them a solution to your problem, that's all. It's hard for me to visualize your level of skill - good enough that your clients are depending on you to play guitar for them, but so out of practice that you complain about your fingertips hurting like a beginner just starting out on the instrument.

To say nothing about your image. If I were a singer-songwriter, and I saw my producer putting those things on his fingers, I would say: "you know what, let's hire a REAL guitarist for this song"
Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
[...]

To say nothing about your image. If I were a singer-songwriter, and I saw my producer putting those things on his fingers, I would say: "you know what, let's hire a REAL guitarist for this song"
Me, I'd probably wait and see how he sounds. But then, I kinda know what I like.

Now, again, I think these things (as I've hinted) are a wildly-overpriced (but it's all about the distribution costs, we know, the raw material [in this case, the product itself] costs next to nothing) gimmick aimed more at wannabes than at guys like Rob.

However, if it works for him or others, it works, eh?

BTW, if Rob or anyone wants to pursue this from another angle, they might want to look at this site (and others like it)...

Finger Cots

[Those with latex allergies will find non-latex finger cots, as well.]

Heck, maybe someone will decide to go into business and give the 4/$10 folks a real run for their money...

PS... I'm told that conductive finger cots are making a comeback, for use with touchscreens.
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
they strike me as really goofy and inhibiting to any real nuanced musical performance.

Even if that producer was Tony Iomni?
Old 22nd September 2012

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I would think that if you only play the guitar so infrequently, having sore fingers is going to be the least of your worries ... aren't you afraid you're going to suck a lot? Start now, a little and often. Start with light strings, and move to heavy strings, and then use medium strings when you get the gig.
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years

ns
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
supa-glue?
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyRochester ➑️
supa-glue?
Yup. Smear a little cynoacrylate/Krazy Glue on your fingertips if you need to get by. Instant callous.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpico ➑️
What's sad is they'd make him buy a full set.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpico ➑️
cold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi ➑️
I would think that if you only play the guitar so infrequently, having sore fingers is going to be the least of your worries ...
exactly. If playing guitar parts for clients is part of what you do for money, keeping "in shape" is about much more than callouses.
Old 19th April 2015
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
After trying just about everything out there I found the simplest product outshines them all. Guitar Fingertips at guitarfingertips.com and on ebay is something that really works. They adjust perfectly to any size fingers and the comfort is great. Easy to forget you have them on. Nothing will stop all the pain if it is really severe but these do help and will actually let your fingers start healing while using. The little rubber pads that come with them make it easier for me to hit cords having really big fingers by extending the tips of my fingers. These won't slip or come off while playing either. These got me past the sore finger thing and I still have a lot of them left over that I still use on occasion.
Old 19th April 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi ➑️
I would think that if you only play the guitar so infrequently, having sore fingers is going to be the least of your worries ... aren't you afraid you're going to suck a lot? Start now, a little and often. Start with light strings, and move to heavy strings, and then use medium strings when you get the gig.
+1.

First off, unless you're Tony Iommi why would you want to use 'artifical skin'? It will change the sound and feel and it doesn't make any sense at all in general.

Playing guitar is like singing or running: It is about muscle development and muscle memory and NOTHING can substitute for regular practice, I don't care how 'talented' you may be. You need to woodshed, especially on guitar which technically is a very difficult instrument even though many people don't get this.

I've heard of classical players having to CUT OFF calluses because they practiced so much that they started to lose their feel in their fingertips. Having very rigid calluses is not necessarily desireable but everybody is different: my own fingetips stay soft no matter how much I play, I guess it's also a matter of 'efficiency' i.e no using more pressure than needed.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…