Quantcast
Tac scorpion desk vs Studiomaster P7 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tac scorpion desk vs Studiomaster P7
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Tac scorpion desk vs Studiomaster P7

Hey just wondering does anyone have any advice on which desk would be better?
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years

(I've used neither of these, but do own a different Studiomaster)
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Tac scorpion !!!
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Heh when I was learning this stuff one of the rooms had a TAC Scorpion. It was consider decent not great.
I actually did own a P7 back when I was in San Francisco. Again a decent board that I liked, of course some say the earlier Studiomaster's were the real good ones. I got it for a deal at the time. I think it was $500 if I recall correctly.
I would rate the Scorpion above the P7(its also a larger board) but honestly I could not see owning either of these boards these days. That's me though, I am more ITB these days analog toys on the front end going in.
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
That was expected, but kinda wondering if anyone vouches for the P7 (I've heard good things about it, not that I believe them all, and some bad things about the TAC, among the good).
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I owned a scorpion for years and just took a look at the P7 manual. They look about the same as far as specs. the scorp is a little quieter. Tac is split monitor while the P7 is inline; so you can decide about that. I couldn't find any tech info on the P7. I know the scorp uses TLO72s thru-out and I made many a record on it years ago. By no means a top tier desk.

I would hope you're talking about literally hundreds of dollars for either of these desks- like 3-500

it looks like 6 of one, half a dozen to the other; so maybe go for the one in best shape/lowest price? Sorry I couldn't be more help.
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
^ that's kinda what I figure, but they're both worth a bit more than $500 ( assuming no issues).

It's worth it to mention that the TAC is fully modular and built like a tank (especially as compared to the Studiomaster, which is modular in terms of each channel being it's own vertical PCB, but the face plate is one solid piece that you have to pop open like a car hood, except there's no hinge or stay-open mechanism, to get at them).

The TAC is also more likely to impress people/clients than the Studiomaster, if you care about that sort of thing.
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
i actually own a p7.. reason i was asking the question is because i was thinking about changing it for the tac. the p7 seems good.. i only really use it for talk bck and monitoring and if i need extra inputs
πŸ“ Reply