Quantcast
Is recording acoustic guitar stereo with a LDC and a SDC possible? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is recording acoustic guitar stereo with a LDC and a SDC possible?
Old 19th September 2012
  #1
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Is recording acoustic guitar stereo with a LDC and a SDC possible?

Hey slutz,
I need to record a few acoustic guitar tracks at home by Friday but I haven't ordered my new mics yet! I have an Audio-Technica AT2035 and a TBone SC140 lying around at home though, and was wondering whether it would be possible to record stereo with them both or whether there would be phasing issues or having just no point.
Thanks,
Katie heh
Old 19th September 2012
  #2
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
I've recorded acoustic with an SM27 and Rode NT5 before, with the NT5's phase flipped. It sounds amazingly natural and clean. Requires nearly zero EQ to make it sound fantastic. You can hard pan the channels if you like, but I like the blended sound more. Play around with it and try things
Old 19th September 2012
  #3
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Thanks for the quick reply matt! What positioning did you use, cuz I was thinking of just sticking the SDC near the twelve fret off axis and the LDC off axis by the soundhole... And I thought the Rode didnt have a phase switch?
Old 19th September 2012 | Show parent
  #4
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmay2 ➑️
Thanks for the quick reply matt! What positioning did you use, cuz I was thinking of just sticking the SDC near the twelve fret off axis and the LDC off axis by the soundhole... And I thought the Rode didnt have a phase switch?
I did it just as you described. The NT5 doesn't have phase or pad, but I can flip the phase later on after recording in software or do it at the preamp level.
Old 19th September 2012
  #5
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
it was good for Sinatra's voice
Old 19th September 2012
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Cookie's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I like to put a ldc around the 12th fret (or wherever sounds good) and a smd somewhere a couple of feet above the shoulder of the player, pointing at the guitar. If it's a right handed player, above the right shoulder. Sounds pretty awesome if done right!
Old 19th September 2012 | Show parent
  #7
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt R ➑️
I did it just as you described. The NT5 doesn't have phase or pad, but I can flip the phase later on after recording in software or do it at the preamp level.
Sorry Matt, I'm getting a bit confused with what you mean by flipping the phase! I'm a bit of an amateur when it comes to recording issues.
Old 19th September 2012 | Show parent
  #8
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmay2 ➑️
Sorry Matt, I'm getting a bit confused with what you mean by flipping the phase! I'm a bit of an amateur when it comes to recording issues.
He meant invert the the polarity.
Old 19th September 2012
  #9
Gear Guru
 
theblue1's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Actually, an LDC and a SDC are favored by many engineers.

Me, I'm less crazy about stereo miking acoustics. To be sure, the first impression is often ear candy -- but then after a bar or two, I begin hearing it as two separate mics on one guitar (not, perhaps, surprisingly) and, for me, that has a really fakey kind of feel.

In a mix, it may work for you. But I have to say that when I hear two separate mics on a guitar (not when there ARE two separate mics but when I hear it, yeah?) with just a guy or gal singing -- your basic folkie solo configuration -- I find it offputting and distracting.
Old 19th September 2012
  #10
Gear Guru
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmay2 ➑️
Hey slutz,
I need to record a few acoustic guitar tracks at home by Friday but I haven't ordered my new mics yet! I have an Audio-Technica AT2035 and a TBone SC140 lying around at home though, and was wondering whether it would be possible to record stereo with them both or whether there would be phasing issues or having just no point.
Thanks,
Katie heh
I use mismatched mics all the time. In fact, I prefer them on acoustic guitar except for Some acoustic performances in the classical/jazz/ethnic categories.

When using mismatched mics, I usually place them apart, and I am going for capturing different elements of the guitar sound- not specifically a "left" and a "right". And the signals may end up being panned full left and right or they may not.

Placing one mic near the 12th fret or sound hole is common, over the shoulder or down by the bridge is common. I have even mic'ed the back of the guitar. Different sounds come out of each of these places. So it depends on what you need or want.

Whereas if you are looking for true stereo, you would set up a matched pair of mics X-Y or ORTF a few feet in front of the guitarist, as if a listener was sitting in the Front Row, and the mics were the listener's "ears"

There are SO MANY ways to mic up an acoustic guitar, and any of them could sound great. Experiment with some positionings and see what you like.

One of the ideas behind recording modern popular music is that the recording is the reference rather the real event. In many styles, realism' is often beside the point. This frees you to do anything you like if it sounds good.
Old 19th September 2012
  #11
Lives for gear
 
TurboJets's Avatar
 
3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
My favorite way to record AC guitars is SDC+LDC in blumlein config.
Old 19th September 2012 | Show parent
  #12
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie ➑️
I like to put a ldc around the 12th fret (or wherever sounds good) and a smd somewhere a couple of feet above the shoulder of the player, pointing at the guitar. If it's a right handed player, above the right shoulder. Sounds pretty awesome if done right!
Thanks so much, just tried it out compared to the simple method of the SDC at the 12th fret and the LDC at the soundhole and the over the shoulder method sounds so much warmer and fuller. Recorded 1 track stereo using your method and two mono tracks panned hard left and right playing different parts and it sound great compared to the other stuff I've done on acoustic. Thanks!
Old 19th September 2012 | Show parent
  #13
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboJets ➑️
My favorite way to record AC guitars is SDC+LDC in blumlein config.
? So the LDC in fig8 and the SDC obviously wouldn't take any sound from the back.....pointed 90deg apart....? Really? SDC pointing neck side, or...? Seems odd, might have to try this....do you use a cardioid or omni SDC?
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 88 views: 57667
Avatar for didier.brest
didier.brest 2nd July 2015
replies: 471 views: 141540
Avatar for RobAnderson
RobAnderson 9th November 2010
replies: 66 views: 31006
Avatar for chk23
chk23 5th December 2012
replies: 70 views: 9653
Avatar for unitymusic
unitymusic 25th April 2016
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump