Quantcast
Oktava mk-219 Russian/ Chinese - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Oktava mk-219 Russian/ Chinese
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Oktava mk-219 Russian/ Chinese

How can you tell the difference between a oktava mk-219 Russian made mic and a Chinese made one?

Thanks
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
as I understood it, there were no Chinese copies of the MK-219, but instead there were indeed copies of the MK-319. That is one of the reasons I have been purchasing MK-219 mics, so I do not need to worry about buying a fake. Plus I just really like their odd coffin-shaped mic bodies!

So from more than one source, I was told the Chinese copies of the MK-319, in case you want to know, do NOT have the plastic resonator discs over the capsule and the finish on the mic body is smoother and has a slight blue tint to it. And of course, the boards inside the mic body are totally different, but alas you probably would not be able to verify THAT particular detail until you took it home and opened it up on the work bench. I guess the Chinese copies would sound a lot different than the original MK-319 as well, but I have never seen or heard one of the Chinese copies. And I honestly do not care if I ever do!

I hope that helps.
Old 19th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffer Fish ➑️
as I understood it, there were no Chinese copies of the MK-219, but instead there were indeed copies of the MK-319.
...any of these look familiar?

Condenser Microphone - English website - Powered by Wangzt!

...good reference on spotting fakes here:

http://reviews.ebay.com/Spotting-a-f...00000004595107
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Joly is of course the expert on this. He once told me how to tell the difference. And of course I proceeded to completely forget....

If it's important, an email to him will set you straight....
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This link can tell you the difference:

Untitled Document

Hope that helps!
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have a side question; I bought two mk319's and also another mic which was labelled mk219a - and looks pretty much exactly like the mk319's which was confusing as i thought they came in as you said "coffin" shaped bodies. Any idea about that? Was the "a" really a b ?
Old 19th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill ➑️
Joly is of course the expert on this. He once told me how to tell the difference. And of course I proceeded to completely forget....

If it's important, an email to him will set you straight....
Some of the ways to tell the differences between the REAL MK-319 and the Chinese copy that I listed were indeed shared with me by Mr. Joly. I actually forget where else I read about the differences, but he told me that stuff strait up, so I believe it! He has probably seen more MK-319 microphones than anyone else I have ever come into contact with, in person or in places like this.

@ KIDVYBES---Oh my, there is the MK-319 Chinese rip off! You know where all the Chinese mic web sites are, don't you?

@ Adam_w: I have some foggy recollection of reading someone reference the 219A. Hmmm... the MK-319 was produced to replace the shortcomings of the MK-219, as I understand it. Maybe that MK-219A was the proto release or some such thing. The MK-219 mics that I own and am familiar with are indeed coffin shaped.
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Got the low down from the man - Mr. Oktavamod himself. Thought I'd pass it along....

219's
219 has never been copied. All are russian.

MK-012's (simple to see which is which....)
russian originals have silver SLOTTED screws
chinese fakes have black PHILLIPS screws

the chinese 319 "copies" are really not copies or clones at all, but use similar nomenclature and design esthetics to fake buyers out. They def sound different.
russian originals have the Oktava capsule, transformer and flat black powercoat body
chinese have typical K67 cap and are satin blue-grey finish and have a Schoeps circuit (I presume transformer-LESS) inside...
Old 21st November 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
bump
Old 22nd November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicmike ➑️
bump
With the bump, what else did you want from this thread? I think it was all covered, but if there are some other lingering questions, ask.
πŸ“ Reply