need advice on new interface / gear
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
need advice on new interface / gear

Hi guys
not sure if this is the right section but here it goes:

I am a songwriter and singer/guitarist who has enjoyed writing and recording the song format for quite some time.

Also, I have a few years of experience doing paid work at home as composer/instrumentalist/sound designer/voice overs for multimedia projects, using mostly average quality hardware.

I am in the process of investing on pro level gear with the intent of expanding my range of expertise and services.

After moving to a larger room, I've already put quite some money on treating (bass traps and broadband absorbers) and new speakers (Focal Twins + sub).

I've also invested in a new mic (Lauten Atlantis) and cables (Vovox Sonorus).

My present interface is a Duet2, which I love but limits my future possibilities.

Now here's the painful part: converters and mic preamps.

To me the next logical step would be getting a Symphony system, perhaps with the 2 inputs module as a start and a two channel preamp of excellent quality.

But with the same amount of money I could get their 8x8 module and the 8 mic pre module, which could open new territory (I could be recording a drumkit someday...again).

For the future, I should also consider analog summing, which would need some other money to invest - I love the idea of going analog/hybrid.

On top of that, I really like the Symphony as it sounds and operates.

On the other hand, the Apollo and the UAD plugins get high praises and would cover most of my future needs, but for what I heard the Apollo's onboard pres really don't convince me, so this would mean buying separate channel pres, and the convenience of the Apollo package would fall apart.

Enters the Apogee Quartet: it doesn't look like a pro level piece of hardware, but it's moderately expandable and fits my present needs for half the price of the Apollo and a quarter of the Symphony IO and the price difference could be used for a pair of great SDCs (Schoeps...?)

So my question is: how much should I spend on converters? how much on preamps? is any preamp just as good? is it worth getting the best and not ever thinking about it anymore? should I favour analog summing over other features? what's my weakest link (other than my brain)?

I am puzzled and torn.
📝 Reply