Quantcast
Best way to connect Eleven Rack to Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best way to connect Eleven Rack to Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56?
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Best way to connect Eleven Rack to Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56?

Which would be best?

A. Connecting Eleven via SPDIF digital over RCA (what I used to do with my 002)?

B. Connect Eleven to the two liquid pres?

C. Connect Eleven to two of the normal pres?

Looking at it from the perspective of trying to keep the signal clean and untouched; I would think option A over SPDIF would be best. However, if we want to try and emulate a more real world set up...

Since the Eleven emulates a miced cab, that mic would then be ran into a mic pre in a real set-up; so should it go into the liquid pres or a pair of the regular?

Just trying to visualize it in my head, as I placed the order for my Saffire tonight. Excited! Finally replacing my 002 that has served me for 7 years; surprisingly still works!
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Bump!
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Hi. I have a liquid 56 too. I would think the best way would be to just connect via the line outputs from the eleven rack into the line inputs on the '56. You wouldn't really need/want to use the preamps as they are for mics.
Old 19th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunt ➑️
Hi. I have a liquid 56 too. I would think the best way would be to just connect via the line outputs from the eleven rack into the line inputs on the '56. You wouldn't really need/want to use the preamps as they are for mics.
Makes sense, however if connecting through the line inputs; doesn't this run the signal through an unnecessary set of converters? If it connects via SPDIF, isn't there less conversion? Or should it just sound better through the line inputs?
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I would just send it in analog. I know it's more conversion, but I just think it sounds better.
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Isn't the Eleven rack an interface? Using analogue out is converting digital back to analog so you can convert it back to digital again with another interface?

Why not just use the rack alone.
Old 19th September 2012
dkr
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Once you are in digital domain, stay in there. So A is the answer.
Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manfrensengensen ➑️
Isn't the Eleven rack an interface? Using analogue out is converting digital back to analog so you can convert it back to digital again with another interface?

Why not just use the rack alone.

Yes, the Eleven is an interface. But if you read my post here... I'm connecting it to a Liquid Saffire 56 (well, WILL be connecting it, as it's on it's way to my door step via UPS); which is obviously a far superior interface.

So no, I do not want to use the Eleven Rack alone and as my main interface. I am only using it for it's guitar modeling, it's main purpose.
Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkr ➑️
Once you are in digital domain, stay in there. So A is the answer.
That's the way I have been leaning. But I keep hearing from a hand-full of people that apparently using the analog line outs from the Eleven into line inputs will sound better. I just don't see the benefit of running the signal through more conversion.

Obviously I will do my own tests when I get my Saffire 56 in, but I'm just running everything through my head for when set-up time arrives.
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
So my Liquid 56 arrived a few days ago and I had a chance to do some testing.

I connected the Eleven Rack two ways...

1. SPDIF
2. L&R line out from the Eleven into two of the standard pres on the L56

I really thought SPDIF sounded the best. It could all be in my head... but the SPDIF connection seemed clearer. I also don't have to worry about where my gain is set connecting through SPDIF, just the output of Eleven. So it's easier when getting tones as well.
Old 3rd October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
There's one more thing to try:

Try using your Sapphire 56's DI and conversion. Have the Eleven Rack plugged in both ways to the digital Spidf jacks between the two units. Then, in Protools, use the Eleven Rack as an insert, just as you would a plugin. Where you would normally insert a plugin, instead, choose "I/O" and select "Spidf". Now the Eleven Rack will function like a plugin, and you'll be using the DI and conversion of the Sapphire. You may find this is better, or at least just different.
Old 26th October 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 ➑️
There's one more thing to try:

Try using your Sapphire 56's DI and conversion. Have the Eleven Rack plugged in both ways to the digital Spidf jacks between the two units. Then, in Protools, use the Eleven Rack as an insert, just as you would a plugin. Where you would normally insert a plugin, instead, choose "I/O" and select "Spidf". Now the Eleven Rack will function like a plugin, and you'll be using the DI and conversion of the Sapphire. You may find this is better, or at least just different.
Definitely a waste. :-)

One of the main good features of the Eleven Rack, is it's input, which adds a true-z feature that makes guitar/bass pickups react very differently than connecting them to a simple DI. They made it so it matches the impedance of the effect/amp model you're using but you can also set it manually to experiment with other tonalities.

There are other things to consider when using the Eleven Rack with another interface. One important is the ability to record the clean signal and the processed signal at the same time, but you need 3 channels for that if your processed signal is stereo (e.g. stereo chorus in the FX chain). That clean signal is what gives you the opportunity to later clean/align the unprocesed guitar and re-amp it.

Francisco
Old 27th October 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Sorry, I accidentaly duplicated my last post.

Last edited by Zarabozo; 27th October 2012 at 12:06 AM.. Reason: Duplicate
Old 6th June 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungler ➑️
So my Liquid 56 arrived a few days ago and I had a chance to do some testing.

I connected the Eleven Rack two ways...

1. SPDIF
2. L&R line out from the Eleven into two of the standard pres on the L56

I really thought SPDIF sounded the best. It could all be in my head... but the SPDIF connection seemed clearer. I also don't have to worry about where my gain is set connecting through SPDIF, just the output of Eleven. So it's easier when getting tones as well.
Hi Bungler,

I recently got an Eleven Rack and like it, but it's not fully functional with the Fast Track Pro C-400 M-Audio interface I've been using. It will only work with pro tools at 44.1 sampling rates and with the ER clock source set to internal, (this is using the SPDIF connections). I've talked with the people at sweetwater about this at length and determined it's an issue with interface itself.

I'm thinking about upgrading to a Saffire Pro 40. But I wanted to make sure I can use higher sampling rates using the SPDIF jacks to connect to it and that I can set the Sapphire as the internal clock source. How do you have your Focusrite connected, which clock settings? Are you able to use the higher sampling rates in your sessions? (I realize it's not the same model, however.)

Thanks for any help you can offer. Input from others is welcome as well.

Dwight
πŸ“ Reply