Quantcast
Blue Spark Mic + XLR Cable Question - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Blue Spark Mic + XLR Cable Question
Old 19th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Blue Spark Mic + XLR Cable Question

Mic question: Interested in hearing thoughts on Blue's Spark Studio Microphone- Is it a good buy for a home recording studio? Could I do better in that price range ($200)? I'm not interested in buying second-hand/used/refurbished because I've been burned in the past so please keep that in mind regarding condition.

XLR cable question: I was about to buy a cheap XLR cable online until I started reading the reviews for it and learned that the quality of the XLR cable can greatly effect recording quality (being the noob I am, it's something I never really considered until I started reading about it thanks to the reviews). So, my research led me to the Gotham Audio GAC-3 ($28 for 5' cable). Is this a good choice? Again, can I do better in that price range or even cheaper?

Thanks!
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
XLRs pretty much sound all the same. Quality of the cable helps with longevity though.
Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Btbam0832 ➑️
XLRs pretty much sound all the same. Quality of the cable helps with longevity though.
So am I just buying into hype when I spend extra for supposedly "high-end" cables? What's the worst I could expect from a cheap XLR cable?
Old 20th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
short life
Old 20th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
just buy some neutriks xlr connectors and klotz or for the top notch then mogami, use your soldering iron a little and you gonna have the best xlr cable.
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I had a Spark, and it was great sounding for the money. Unfortunately, it broke within the year. I did not like the build quality, and getting it tight in the shock mount was not easy, but it performed pretty well. Especially for the price. - paul
Old 23rd September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks for the responses. I'm a little disheartened to hear that the Blue Spark died on you after only a year of use. I can only hope that was an isolated incident. Anybody else have an issue with it going bad?

As far as XLR's go, I guess I can understand the life is dependent on how well the connectors are soldered on. And since I'm only needing about 5', I doubt that quality of shielding would be all that important for such a short distance. But I'll probably just end up buying something higher-end just to be on the safe side.
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarawa ➑️
Mic question:
XLR cable question: I was about to buy a cheap XLR cable online until I started reading the reviews for it and learned that the quality of the XLR cable can greatly effect recording quality (being the noob I am, it's something I never really considered until I started reading about it thanks to the reviews). ...
Before you buy a mic cable, you may want to read this very recent thread, especially post No. 5.
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus 7 ➑️
Before you buy a mic cable, you may want to read this very recent thread, especially post No. 5.
Thanks!
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…