Quantcast
Forssell MADC-2, White Sparrow, Lynx Hilo a/d converters - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Forssell MADC-2, White Sparrow, Lynx Hilo a/d converters
Old 4th November 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
And I got this from Apogee to answer whether I could put two 2x6 modules in a Symphony chassis. WTF? Sounds like they WON'T even though they COULD.

Nathan,

Thanks for the email.

We do not sell the A2X6 module ala carte at this time. The demand for the configurations is too high. We are debating whether or not it will be released in the future* or not. I believe part of the issue is the price of the module alone would put that setup to close to the Symphony I/O - A8X8 configuration which gives you more analog inputs and, plenty of digital outs.

- Jon

(*And in the future we'll all be dead. But some of us will have gotten some recording done first.)

...or you could offer a package deal that didn't put it quite so close to the 8x8, Jon.
But what do I know?
My idea at this point is to sacrifice having a comfortable number of inputs (4) to get the best conversion I can out of 2. Whatever I end up getting will be for the long term, I hate trading in and out of stuff, part of why I hesitate to drop a ton of money on 2 inputs.
And though I haven't heard ONE single discouraging word about the sound quality of the Hilo, factor in a preamp worthy of it and I get a little queasy at roughly 5k for two golden channels.
Old 4th November 2012
nms
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Woah haha. Not sure how you end up at $5k!
You can get the Hilo for $2100. At that point you can pickup whatever preamps you want. 500 series stuff is fun. The 500 series Burl pre's are enticing and certainly better than Orpheus' onboard pre's.

If your ultimate goal is transparent conversion the Hilo is a no brainer. If you work on Mac and want to try the Apogee flavor and dive into Symphony cards then go for that. Otherwise, if you want to try the Orpheus flavor and just use onboard pre's go for that.
Old 4th November 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nms ➡️
Woah haha. Not sure how you end up at $5k!
Me being math challenged, why I'm not an engineer. I play guitar, and kinda like the TG-2. Plus Hilo, $4800 full retail. I would expect 20% off, but in California that could be net 11-12%. So more like 4k+.

Correct me if I'm mistaken but my very shallow, crude understanding of 500 Series modules is that you don't want to get a cheap chassis (something to do with the power rails?) so that if you're not looking at accumulating a lot of outboard, and don't really need the portability, you won't save a lot for 2-4 channels of 500 series preamps over buying rack gear.

BTW, the Hilo at the AES convention in San Francisco had the long promised firmware update. I forget everything he said about what it included but it looked pretty cool, and the buttons did more stuff. How's that for tech-speak.

-Funny to have an audio engineers convention in such a horribly boomy, slap echoey blimp hangar space as Moscone Center. After a few hours, you're practically punch dunk and hung over just from the bad acoustics.-
Old 4th November 2012
nms
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
yeah if you want to go for the gold and pick up a TG-2 it'll cost you another $2200 but that's a given.

You can pick up a great 500 series rack for $350 shipped though and there are a tonne of options going that route: Radial Workhorse CUBE | 500 Series @ ZenPro Audio
📝 Reply