Quantcast
Allen & Heath ZED-10FX Setup Questions - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Allen & Heath ZED-10FX Setup Questions
Old 18th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Allen & Heath ZED-10FX Setup Questions

I'm a new owner of a ZED-10FX mixer and have some questions about setting it up for my particular needs. First, I should mention that my level of "techy" expertise with mixers is fairly low. That said:

I'm shooting some music instructional videos and have the following components:

Main Guitarist
2nd Guitarist
RODE NTG-1 mic for voice
MP3 or MIDI Player for playing tracks

At my disposal I have a PreSonus 2 Channel BlueTube, as well as a 1 channel PreSonus TubePRE if needed.

The only time the tracks (MP3 or MIDI) are used are with the Main Guitarist (MIC and 2nd Guitar are not used when tracks are playing)

I need reverb effect on Main and 2nd Guitarist only.

Outputs:
I need one output that will send all channels to my video camera (XLR) and monitored via headphones plugged into the camera.

Another output to go to monitor speakers so that the musicians can hear what they are playing. Note: MIC should NOT go out to monitors because of feedback issues, etc.

I used the mixer for some tests, but it's been a few months. What sticks out in my mind was having the most trouble with the way the effects vs. the volume level itself on the channels were being controlled. For example, I recall the bottom red level control was not adjusting the channel volume as expected, but instead changed the volume or amount of the effects on the channel. So obviously I have something set wrong.

I'd like to start from scratch and know the correct way to connect the devices (what goes where), as well as which buttons should be pushed in, etc.

If anything in this description is unclear, just let me know and I will try to clarify for you.

Many thanks in advance for your assistance!
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
A&H Reply:

Hi,

I wrote some Sound Mixing Tips for first time users in the ZED-60FX user guide, which although is not exactly your model, is extremely close to it.

I think reading pages 31&32 will help a lot and explain answers to most of your questions.
Also, a study of the block diagram in the user guide for your particular model will reveal the input, output and routing possibilities.

I hope this helps. Attached is the user guide for the ZED60 (see p31).

Kind regards,

Mike.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AP8765_2+ZEDSixty_UserGuide_A5[1].pdf (11.67 MB, 2158 views)
Old 19th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Thank you for the PDF file; I glanced over the pages you referenced just briefly and see the step by step nature of the instructions which is exactly what I need. The ZED10FX manual leaves much to be desired compared to the one you linked me to.. I'll update this thread when I dig into the unit in the next few days.
Old 21st September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I did a quick test on the easiest of the components to configure, the MIDI player and everything went according to those instructions and I understand how to use the Aux bus for a monitor mix - so far so good!

Today I'm going to try the main guitar. For the guitar, am I correct in that it should go into the Gtr 1 HiZ input? Will I need to go through the BlueTube before going into the mixer or does the mixer have enough gain control already?
Old 14th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I`m having trouble conecting A&H ZED-10FX with my E-MU 1212M PCIe,
need some instructions. Is there a way to connect both of them, or should I go only with A&H ZED-10FX?
Any suggestion, tips?
Thanks
πŸ“ Reply