Quantcast
Opinions on new Adam F5 monitor? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Opinions on new Adam F5 monitor?
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Opinions on new Adam F5 monitor?

Can't find any reviews on the web anywhere.

Has anyone heard/owned them - what are they like?

I'm looking for a similar sound to my HS50m, but with better highs (budget won't stretch to A5) - do they fit?
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Bump, as I'm also curious.
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
bump again - seriously, they've been out a while - no-one as heard them?
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Yeah, available since October 2012 -according to the manufacturer

Matti
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
really?

I've seen them available online since about half a year ago!

Don't think it was pre-order - maybe wasn't looking closely enough...
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
How much is it compare to Adam a5x?
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
about 2/3rds the price
Old 30th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus_farmer ➑️
really?

I've seen them available online since about half a year ago!

Don't think it was pre-order - maybe wasn't looking closely enough...
I've seen them listed online also but none in stock. Not available anywhere yet afaik.
Old 10th October 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
ADAM Audio GmbH

Now it says "available January 2013".
Old 29th October 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
bump, anyone heard them yet?
Old 29th October 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Not January, hold your horses or something like that

Matti
Old 22nd November 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Optimistic bump...

Anyone heard them yet?
Old 22nd November 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Optimistic bump...

Anyone heard them yet?
Well it still ain't Jan 2013 yet, so...
Old 22nd November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Optimistic bump...

Anyone heard them yet?
Not many with time travel machines around here, all the money spent on preamps and microphones.....
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
has anyone heard them yet?
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Recording magazine review

I think there is a review on the adam website and there was a youtube video from 2 months ago from a us retailer. The tweeter has been redesigned, woofer made from different material , smaller amps. and 1 port not two.

Kcat
Old 22nd February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
bump...
Old 22nd February 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
i've heard them side by side with a5x and a3x and was quite disappointed. They sound nothing alike, are quite muddy and not as clear and "defined" as the a5x (or a3x).

I haven't spent a lot of time comparing them because F5 made me instantly underwhelmed. I wouldn't replace HS50s with them.
Old 22nd February 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
They are reviewed in the new Sound on Sound.
Old 20th March 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Bump - I've read the review in the soundonsound, but was disappointed that they were not compared to anything. Very difficult to get an idea of the sound signature when it is reviewed in isolation.

I want to know if the F5 will offer more high end presence than my Yamaha HS50m...? The SOS review said that they shared the 'typical detailed high-end response' that you can expect from Adam monitors, but does the average Adam monitor have more quantity of treble than the Yamaha HS50m?
Old 20th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
https://gearspace.com/board/newbie-a...ml#post8856605

I wrote about my new pair at the above thread.
Old 20th March 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
I want to know if the F5 will offer more high end presence than my Yamaha HS50m...?

I'd say yes, but are you thinking of having the HS50M's and the F5's side by side?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeKBoT ➑️
I'd say yes, but are you thinking of having the HS50M's and the F5's side by side?
Thanks. No, was thinking of replacing HS50m with F5 for more high frequency quantity and detail - why do you ask - are they no good side by side?
Gear Addict

Quote:
Thanks. No, was thinking of replacing HS50m with F5 for more high frequency quantity and detail - why do you ask - are they no good side by side?
Adam's will give you the extra high frequency detail that you need but the HS50m's are mid forward which is a bonus , if you produce music both monitors could help you make better decisions if you keep switching between them.

Usually it is advisable to have monitors with different sized woofers if you really want to have a different prespective (a pair of 8" and a pair of 5" for example) but the F5's have a fuller low end so maybe they could work well together.

Are you using them for music production?
Old 23rd April 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
This is a comparison video we made of the ADAM F5, F7 and A7Xs. Any opinions?
ADAM Audio - F5, F7, A7X - Studio Monitor Comparison - YouTube
Old 15th May 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicSense ➑️
This is a comparison video we made of the ADAM F5, F7 and A7Xs. Any opinions?
ADAM Audio - F5, F7, A7X - Studio Monitor Comparison - YouTube
To me the F5s sounds noticeably worse out of the 3.. almost as if it has a blanket on top of the sound... it instantly opens up with the F7 and gets worlds better with the A7X.. but well.. it's a whole different price point!

I'm a little more curious though, as to how they sound like compared to the Yamaha HS50, the KRK Rokit RP5 and RP6, Makie MR5 MkII and so on..

I'm looking to upgrade from my Logitech X230 2.1 system and I want to make sure I get something that will sound decent and better
Old 15th May 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindwalker ➑️
To me the F5s sounds noticeably worse out of the 3.. almost as if it has a blanket on top of the sound... it instantly opens up with the F7 and gets worlds better with the A7X.. but well.. it's a whole different price point!

I'm a little more curious though, as to how they sound like compared to the Yamaha HS50, the KRK Rokit RP5 and RP6, Makie MR5 MkII and so on..

I'm looking to upgrade from my Logitech X230 2.1 system and I want to make sure I get something that will sound decent and better

Even thou the F5's have a darker sound than the ADAM's usual standard i bet the Low and High frequency's are still more defined and more open than the HS50M's.

The HS50M's should have slightly better Mids witch could offer better translation.
Old 10th June 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
So I've pulled the trigger on a pair of F5s to replace my Logitech X-230 2.1 system.

The F5s are quite punchy and defined to my ears. Since it's my first pair of studio monitors I really have nothing to compare them too. However I find the bass is lacking a bit.. perhaps because there's no sub. Compared to the Logitech system it doesn't produce nowhere near a room full of bass. However I suppose that's not what they were made for anyway

The sound is quite good, rich and balanced if I'm sitting 1.5 meters or so away from them.. but out of that cone they don't seem to sound so good (well I guess that's why they call them Near Field monitors... you're supposed to sit close). So if I'm doing the dishes and trying to listen to some music just for fun, I find the sound to be good but not excellent.. perhaps a little boxy and overly pronounced on the mids

There's some adjustment knobs on the back for the bass and highs. I did turn the bass knobs up a notch to improve the situation with the bass. Basically with a pair of Audio Technica M50 cans I was getting a deeper and better bass than through the monitors.. adjusting the knobs in the back seems to have brought the 2 of them closer.

Also these things are pretty loud.. I think I still haven't turned them up beyond half volume or I'm a bit concerned that the neighbours won't like it (besides the mids/highs start to get pretty loud too and hurting my ears).

So, all in all I guess I'm satisfied with them... not incredibly impressed though.. I guess mostly because of the bass response lacking a bit. However I suspect this can be quickly "fixed" if I play around with the EQ in my sound interface for those moments when I don't want to monitor but to just have a little party going.
Old 18th June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
any new more seasoned opinions on these?

I'm debating these or the reveal 601as
Old 20th June 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindwalker ➑️
So I've pulled the trigger on a pair of F5s to replace my Logitech X-230 2.1 system.

The F5s are quite punchy and defined to my ears. Since it's my first pair of studio monitors I really have nothing to compare them too. However I find the bass is lacking a bit.. perhaps because there's no sub. Compared to the Logitech system it doesn't produce nowhere near a room full of bass. However I suppose that's not what they were made for anyway

The sound is quite good, rich and balanced if I'm sitting 1.5 meters or so away from them.. but out of that cone they don't seem to sound so good (well I guess that's why they call them Near Field monitors... you're supposed to sit close). So if I'm doing the dishes and trying to listen to some music just for fun, I find the sound to be good but not excellent.. perhaps a little boxy and overly pronounced on the mids

There's some adjustment knobs on the back for the bass and highs. I did turn the bass knobs up a notch to improve the situation with the bass. Basically with a pair of Audio Technica M50 cans I was getting a deeper and better bass than through the monitors.. adjusting the knobs in the back seems to have brought the 2 of them closer.

Also these things are pretty loud.. I think I still haven't turned them up beyond half volume or I'm a bit concerned that the neighbours won't like it (besides the mids/highs start to get pretty loud too and hurting my ears).

So, all in all I guess I'm satisfied with them... not incredibly impressed though.. I guess mostly because of the bass response lacking a bit. However I suspect this can be quickly "fixed" if I play around with the EQ in my sound interface for those moments when I don't want to monitor but to just have a little party going.
Dude, these are studio monitors. They aren't supposed to just 'sound good'. They are supposed to sound accurate and help you mix well. Your 'review' is 100% from the opinion as a consumer, not a mixer, making the review kind of pointless on a forum for mixers and engineers... Of course the bass is going to sound less (you didn't describe if its flat bass or hyped bass or has a low response) than silly Logitech speakers with an inaccurate woofer and also with more midrange (consumer speakers are inaccurate smiley face with no mids). That's a GOOD thing. You basically described a studio monitor. If you don't like the sound of them due to those reasons, go buy a pair of KRK Rokit RP5's (hyped bass consumer crap).
πŸ“ Reply