Opinions on new Adam F5 monitor? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Opinions on new Adam F5 monitor?
Old 24th July 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattLyonsMusic ➡️
Dude, these are studio monitors. They aren't supposed to just 'sound good'.
Agreed.
On the other hand the Audio Technica M50 are monitoring headphones, and to my ears they provide "more" bass than the F50s with the same sound input. Perhaps you can say that the M50 cans are bass hyped but maybe it's the F5s that are lacking ? Since I don't have any other monitoring speakers, I can't say. But for sure the F7s or even the Sub-F extension will certainly increase the bass levels.. and I don't mean it ghetto style but just bring it louder but still defined and punchy and perhaps deeper.

Now that I have the F5s for some more weeks and having played around a bit more with them, I can attest that they sound pretty good and balanced to my ears for near filed listening. The bass is punchy and tight. Still think the M50s let you hear the bass better, but it could also be due to the acoustics of my room which is not treated at all and the M50s are headphones so they isolate things better.
Old 24th July 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
and on the subject of the bass response itself while standing a some 3-4 feet away, I find that it's flat (as in, not hyped and not getting on the way of mids and highs) while punchy and deep.. you can hear quite a bit of those low frequencies.

But if you want to feel the bass a bit more over the rest (to consumer levels as you said) then you def need to eq the sound source and put some extra dbs on those low freqs
Old 24th July 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
You are comparing the bass of the ATH-M50 over a pair of Adam F5.....?
Old 25th July 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
ok I know that it's comparing apples to oranges and maybe I should not have done it but anyway, the cat is out of the bag so...
My only 2 pieces of monitoring gear are exactly the M50 cans and the pair of F5s, hence the attempt to compare.

Without cranking any of them two up, the M50 to my ears provide more audible bass. So, for example if you don't have a treated and isolated room and you want to hear more of the bass, you may prefer to do that with the M50s (or not.. depends on you).
If you crank the F5s then the bass response is very good too... fills up the room (small one though), makes a few things rattle slightly (and I do have them on mopads) and sounds punchy enough but not over the top or distorted.. it doesn't drown the rest of the frequencies.

Overall I find the F5s pretty well balanced although since I'm not a pro and don't have a dedicated studio they have to make do in my living room. Due to that I can't crank them up all the time (neighbours)... in those situations it's probably best to use the M50s.

For the same reason, since my apartment is small and this is all going on in my living room then the F5s also have to do the job of more "consumer oriented" tasks such as watching movies and so on! In this setting you may want to eq a bit on your computer.

Overall I think the F5s fit the bill pretty well for both monitoring purposes and consumer ends. I'm not regretting buying them.. sure they need a sub or something if you really want to rattle the floor of the entire apartment but for me that's not needed so...

And as you can probably tell I'm no producer or mixing professional... I play guitar and try to record some mixes for fun and have day job to worry about so take my points with that in context.
Old 25th July 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Had to reply because I'm now using ATH-M50 with the F7 and I'm getting the SubF in a month. For the F5 you definitely need a sub man :D They are very bass shy. But really the best thing is to use a reference track along with your mix in your M50 to compare the lower bass, because I think even with a sub we would need a good room treatment to make a real comparison with the SubF anyway. I used to live in such a sound proof apartment that I could use my sub at low levels and it was awesome. (Just needed the right positioning so that I sit in the sweet spot to avoid boosting the sub) When you enter your apartment and you close your entrance door if you can hear the neighbors because of poor sound insulation I don't suggest a sub. But not if you can spare the cash and plan on moving of course!

(If you find yourself in your apartment a lot during day time then you should get the sub I think, make quick edits on M50 then enjoy the F5+SubF for a little while. The neighbors should understand and most of them are gone during the day if your lucky.)

Last edited by NineIX; 25th July 2013 at 08:17 PM.. Reason: Added a suggestion
Old 26th July 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I got the F5s based on web reviews alone. Couldn't find them locally for a quick test.. but I would imagine the F7s to be "bolder" sound-wise... bigger.. literally That's why I went for the F5s as I found them big enough for my desk / room.. 7 inchers would be too much.

Unfortunately one of my neighbours seems to like his daily dose of bass quite a bit so it's near impossible for me to properly use the F5s properly because during the quiet parts of my playing, his bass bleeds through and resonates on my walls and floor. Heck... even with the M50s sometimes I feel it. And he doesn't even have a sub but he must be using terrible speakers with a terrible EQ and too loud a volume.

Same problem if I'm simply playing the guitar... that bass throws me off from whatever I'm trying to play...

Because of this I mostly don't use the F5s too loud, cause if I can hear him so can he. And if I crank my stuff up, he'll crank his and I'm trying not to make it any worse
Therefore I end up using the M50 more for most stuff.

However during those times when the neighbours are gone from the house, I find the F5s quite satisfying and accurate! In fact the first thing I threw at them was some pounding sound clips from Hans Zimmer soundtracks and it did create quite a wall of sound, specially if you're really sitting 3-4 feet away.

I didn't compare the bass of the M50s and the F5s in a very scientific way though. I would simply have both connected to my sound interface, put the headphones on.. see how it feels... then place the F5s at a close perceived loudness level and take off the headphones... I could immediately feel the bass a little less when compared to all the other frequencies, however I can't quite recall now whether the bass on the F5s was deeper or tighter than the M50s albeit at a lower volume.
📝 Reply