Quantcast
Boss GT-100 Unbalanced? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Boss GT-100 Unbalanced?
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Boss GT-100 Unbalanced?

I almost fell off my chair when I read that the GT-100 only has unbalanced TR outputs???

Why on earth isn't there any XLR balanced or at least TRS outputs?

I pretty much assumed that a balanced signal would be much better but maybe I was wrong?

Can someone enlighten me?
Old 19th September 2012
RiF
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I guess it does not have balanced outs because it's intended to be used with a guitar amp (unbalanced). Before the input and in the amp's fx loop (using the 4-cable method).

As a standalone unit that goes directly onto your mixer/PA/audio interface, I'd prefer TRS too, though.
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I'm with you - for going direct to PA or to a recording interface I would definately wanna go balanced via TRS or XLR. Or maybe this balanced thing is just nonsense when it comes to a guitar modeler?

Surely the gt-100 must have been designed for studio/PA use as well? and not just plugged in to a guitar amp?
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
That is what a DI is for. I have one I have been meaning to sell.
Old 29th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiF ➑️
I guess it does not have balanced outs because it's intended to be used with a guitar amp (unbalanced). Before the input and in the amp's fx loop (using the 4-cable method).

As a standalone unit that goes directly onto your mixer/PA/audio interface, I'd prefer TRS too, though.
Exactly right. Better question is, why don't ANY small audio interfaces have balanced outs?
Why are we expected to buy ridiculously large soundcards just to get XLR outputs?
Old 29th September 2012

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Get a dual transformer passive DI, such as the Radial JDI Duplex. Transformers are too expensive to be thrown in for free with a guitar box, but they are the best thing for true ground loop hum isolation. Electronic balancing is practically worthless for live use, because typically your ac power on stage is going to have voltage drop between the AC power at the FOH, causing hum in most cases.

Or consider an Ebtech Hum Eliminator or Line Level Shifter. True passive isolation, with or without shifting of line levels - depending on your FOH mixer, some soundguys can't cope with hot line levels or even stereo.
Old 29th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruvvamoff ➑️
Exactly right. Better question is, why don't ANY small audio interfaces have balanced outs?
Why are we expected to buy ridiculously large soundcards just to get XLR outputs?
Most do have balanced outs, they are TRS instead of XLR to save space.
Old 30th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manfrensengensen ➑️
Most do have balanced outs, they are TRS instead of XLR to save space.
Every one I've looked at are RCA.
Any chance of a link?
Old 30th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruvvamoff ➑️
Every one I've looked at are RCA.
Any chance of a link?
Pretty much everyone who has an interface with an external box has balanced outs; there are very few people making sound cards for Pro use that I can think of because of all the digital noise, etc. in a computer. Soundcards are generally cheap and the market for those only needs or will pay for RCA I/O.

You're better off getting a USB, Firewire or Thunderbolt interface to minimize noise. Almost all of those have balanced outputs on TRS or XLR.
Old 18th November 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
HeadPhone Input

Hi Guys! I'm new here and I know that this post is old but did any of you try the HeadPhone Inputs? It is a Balanced input and it could be used directly into the PA or Line input. Just a though about to test it out. I'll let you know.
Old 18th November 2014

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
That would be a headphone Output, and generally that's a bad idea. It is also totally not balanced - you may be confusing a TRS jack used for stereo headphones with the TRS jack used for balanced line level. The connector is the same, but the signals are totally different.

I expect you will report that it is quite hot, and when you match levels to compare with the provided instrument level output jack, you may notice extra noise.

Headphone amps are quite difficult and expensive to build a good one (check out the prices of standalone headphone amps). So the ones thrown into guitar FX tend to be an afterthought, and they don't waste much money on high end components. They are fit for the purpose - bedroom jamming, monitoring etc - but not ideal as quality line level outputs.

Who really wants balanced connectors on a guitar processor? I used to think it's a good idea - but now I hate the idea. A quality passive DI box is best - but scrub what I said in 2012 about the Radial Duplex. Bastards took the Jensen transformer out of this product but kept the name the same. So maybe buy a cheaper one, or get the single JDI boxes.

In a live context using a snake to a desk, you are very likely to have ground loop hum if you don't run transformer isolation. So to me it makes sense to only have instrument level unbalanced outputs on a guitar processor, for direct connection to an amp on stage (short cable and using the same AC outlet, less chance of ground loop hum), or buy a DI of your choice for serious stage use.

But headphone outs are sometimes useful as spare monitoring outs in the studio, where a little noise isn't a problem because you aren't tracking it.
πŸ“ Reply