Quantcast
Why are AT MX541a mixers so cheap on eBay? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Why are AT MX541a mixers so cheap on eBay?
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Why are AT MX541a mixers so cheap on eBay?

I keep seeing Audio Technica MX341a automatic mixers come up on eBay with buy-it-now prices of $49 or so. B&H still sells them new for $540ish, so that's eBay prices of about 1/10 their original value. In comparison, the Shure SCM268's seem to go for triple that on the used market, which is about half their price when new.

The Shure doesn't have the automatic priority system that makes the A/T so useful for conference recording (and expensive when new), but it does have an aux input and aux level output. Still, a simple Y cable is $2 almost anywhere online...

So what's the deal there? Do the Audio Technicas just sound horrible? Do they have a reputation for dying suddenly like Behringer, and I somehow missed it? Or is everyone afraid of the priority system? (That can be disabled simply by turning the knob to the far left until it clicks into manual mode).

I welcome any thoughts on the topic, but I'd especially like to hear from anyone who might have compared the two units somewhere along the way.
📝 Reply