Quantcast
What studio monitors do you recommend for under $2500? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What studio monitors do you recommend for under $2500?
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
What studio monitors do you recommend for under $2500?

Hi all!
I want to know what studio monitors you like best that are under $2500 for a pair? Near/Midfield Active monitors to be precise.
Old 18th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
My Recommendation

For at or around $2500 you can get a pair of Dynaudio BM15a monitors. I love the way they sound personally.

But have you gone somewhere to shoot out monitors with songs you know well to see what you like? That is always an excellent first step in choosing monitors.
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

The monitor "flavour du jour" is clearly the Neumann KH 120A, and they're well within your budget.
If you can stretch your budget a little ($2698/pr.) and need a lower bass cut-off try the Event Opals.

Both are "clinically accurate" in a decent room.
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

Unity Audio Rocks - I'm selling a pair as I'm dismantling my 5.1 rig. Amazing speakers that do not lie.
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Based on my (limited) experience, if you buy some decent midfield (like a Dynaudio BM15a for example) you should get a nearfield companion, they are faster/more responsive in the mid section. (We have Genelec 1031's for this.) Or even start with something smaller with a sub. 8-inch woofers do sound nice, but reveal less for me.
Old 19th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by diossyakos ➑️
Based on my (limited) experience, if you buy some decent midfield (like a Dynaudio BM15a for example) you should get a nearfield companion, they are faster/more responsive in the mid section. (We have Genelec 1031's for this.) Or even start with something smaller with a sub. 8-inch woofers do sound nice, but reveal less for me.
I wouldn't consider a Genelec 1031 to be a nearfield anymore than a BM15a?
They both are large speakers with big frequency ranges.
Allot of people are using midfields as nearfields these days though.
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

Genelec 8240A.

Old 20th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Today I went and purchased a pair of Adam A7x's, Event 20/20 V3's, and Dynaudio BM5A's. I brought them home to my acoustically tuned home studio to see what I like the best.

First Impression after 3 hours of A/B'ing..

Adam A7x's

- Clear not "bright" (Can hear every nuance)
- Fantastic low frequency and punch
- You can hear the sub frequency's really well
- Seem a bit mid scooped
- Probably my favorite of the three

Dynaudio BM5a's
- Almost as punchy as the A7x's
- Sound like the A7x's with towels over them
- Mix's sound a bit chaotic threw them

Event 20/20 V3's

- Doesn't have near the nice clarity of the A7'x
- Feels like there's sub frequencys the Adams cover that the Events don't, am I crazy? This is a bigger speaker?
- If the clarity was there, I'd be sold on these.
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
You're doing yourself a disservice by not trying the Opals. A whole other league from the 20/20s.

I got mine for under $2600 by really shopping around.
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
sE Electronics Munro Egg's 150 $2400 pretty damn amazing monitors extremely flat and wide sound stage. I would definitely check them out if I were you.
Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus 7 ➑️
The monitor "flavour du jour" is

lol
Old 20th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
i would go with genelec's
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaft ➑️
You're doing yourself a disservice by not trying the Opals. A whole other league from the 20/20s.
I agree, there really is very little in common between the 20/20 (v3) and the Event Opal's.

Indeed, both speakers have utility; Truly, the Opal's are in a different class.

I was fortunate enough to have a budget for monitors which exceeded the Opals by a fair margin - Yet, I purchased them and could not be happier.

In addition to the Opal's I use -
Mid-line Infinity IL-10's (Consumer speakers) and the amazing - B&W N802's.

Saying that a set of Opal's compliment B&W N802 (powered by Krell Master Reference Amplification) is indeed saying a lot.

Of course, use your own ears and they shall lead you to what is "right" for you.

But, I urge you to audition the Opal's should you have occasion.

Good Luck
Alexa
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quested S7R
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by aTelecine-Lex ➑️
I agree, there really is very little in common between the 20/20 (v3) and the Event Opal's.

Indeed, both speakers have utility; Truly, the Opal's are in a different class.

I was fortunate enough to have a budget for monitors which exceeded the Opals by a fair margin - Yet, I purchased them and could not be happier.

In addition to the Opal's I use -
Mid-line Infinity IL-10's (Consumer speakers) and the amazing - B&W N802's.

Saying that a set of Opal's compliment B&W N802 (powered by Krell Master Reference Amplification) is indeed saying a lot.

Of course, use your own ears and they shall lead you to what is "right" for you.

But, I urge you to audition the Opal's should you have occasion.

Good Luck
Alexa
I'm really impressed with the big, yet tight low end and their mid-range detail that doesn't get fatiguing and their dimensional sound stage. Everyone I've auditioned them for (including some good engineers) have been equally impressed. People really react positively to them.

I use them along with a pair of Mains custom built by Tom Carlile that have two Gauss 2831 long-throw drivers each with a Dynaudio style mid and dome tweeter. They mate nicely with the Opals and have similar yet bigger charachteristics. Oh, and of course there's a pair of obligatory NS-10's on the meter bridge.

The Opals were a solid purchase I'll never regret. Check 'em out if you can.

Last edited by Shaft; 21st September 2012 at 01:19 AM.. Reason: grammatical error
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
There are few good *active* monitor pairs for less than $2500. Get yourself some passive ProAc Studio 100s and a good amp. Good active PMCs will be at least $4000, ATCs & Barefoots even more. How good of an amplifier pair could you even have for less than $2500 (without even speakers)?

Don't waste your time being neither here nor there. Neumann/K&H are hifi, Dynaudio BM15s are sloppy in the low end (ports open), Focal twins sound like they have a veil over them and are sloppy in the low end, ADAM A7xs are harsh/shrill. sE Eggs? Are they Chinese made? Haven't heard the Event Opals but the 20/20s & Genelecs are blah.

If you're serious...get serious.
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinealta ➑️
Haven't heard the Event Opals but the 20/20s & Genelecs are blah.

The Opals have nothing in common with 20/20's.

Period.

For one, the 20/20's are very blah. A pro-sumer speaker.

Opals are pro.

Not saying you'll like Opals (as monitors are so subjective), but it's not fair to even infer 'Opals' in the same sentence as '20/20s'. And yes, I've heard the MM27's, 0300's, Twins, etc. I chose Opals.
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman ➑️
The Opals have nothing in common with 20/20's.

Period.

For one, the 20/20's are very blah. A pro-sumer speaker.

Opals are pro.

Not saying you'll like Opals (as monitors are so subjective), but it's not fair to even infer 'Opals' in the same sentence as '20/20s'. And yes, I've heard the MM27's, 0300's, Twins, etc. I chose Opals.
This bears repeating, as I've have rarely, if ever heard a more striking difference in sound between two speakers from the same manufacturer; it may very well be the 20/20's and the Opal's.

Indeed it's almost astonishing they are from the same company.

Best,
Alexa
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
There are no good *active* monitor pairs for less than $2500. Get yourself some passive ProAc Studio 100s and a good amp. Good active PMCs will be at least $4000, ATCs & Barefoots even more. How good of an amplifier pair could you even have for less than $2500 (without even speakers)?

Don't waste your time being neither here nor there. Neumann/K&H are hifi, Dynaudio BM15s are sloppy in the low end, Focal twins sound like they have a veil over them and are sloppy in the low end, ADAM A7xs are harsh/shrill. sE Eggs? Are they Chinese made? Haven't heard the Event Opals but the 20/20s & Genelecs are blah.

Have you heard the Egg's or the Opals? No, then you should not comment on them. Your comment reeks of elitism and is only rooted in your own opinion without true evaluation, if you have not heard them.

There are plenty of monitors powered and non powered that can get the job done for under $2500 .
Old 22nd September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
ADAM A77X 3-way active nearfield monitor, 2x7" woofer | VintageKing.com

i would suggest also used P33A + sub or P11A + sub (what i got and until i go S2X, i never matched this bad boys combo even with others 2 time more expensive thingy!)
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
under 2000€: ProAc Studio 100. I use them with Mission Cyrus II amp. Best combo that I have ever used under 2000€
under 1000€: AE22. Definitely one of the best active monitors below 1500€.
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpro ➑️
Have you heard the Egg's or the Opals? No, then you should not comment on them. Your comment reeks of elitism and is only rooted in your own opinion without true evaluation, if you have not heard them.
Quote:
sE Eggs? Are they Chinese made? Haven't heard the Event Opals....
I only *ASKED* a question. Are the sE Eggs Chinese made? I *DID NOT* make a comment about them.

I *STATED* that I *HAVE NOT* heard the Opals. I *DO NOT* make a comment about them.

Read my post again as you are mistaken.

You say my comments "reak of elitism." It's relative to one's experiences.There's nothing elitist about trying to help the OP. That's the purpose of this forum. It's subjective opinion *based on individual experiences*.

Can we get back to discussing the merits of monitors & amps? My advice to the OP, in his price range, were ProAc Studio 100s with a good amp (see my above post).
Old 22nd September 2012
Deleted 7a0e5c3
Focal CMS65 + Sub. You'll love it!
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Using the SE Eggs has been a revelation, the clarity and depth are astonishing IMO.
Since I got them it became obvious how badly balanced my mixing had been. Well worth checking out.
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
4 Votes for the opals, I need to check those out.
Right now I'm trying to find something I like better than the A7X's.
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Why not a get a used pair of monitors. $2500 puts you in a who;e new league with used monitors. Then you could be close to ADAM s3h or definitely the focal twins .
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Leaning towards the A77X's and the Event Opals..
Wonder how they compare?
πŸ“ Reply