Grimes - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Grimes
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Grimes

I can't believe how much I like Grimes. from her first album to this one two years later, she went from mid-fi what I can do production to Radiohead-style reverb/delay/pitch/voice manipulation tricks that I still haven't figured out how to do but really want to, and the attention to detail and melody has become awesome and spectacular.

Mainly I just love the music and her. I'm curious if anybody knows what reverb she uses, it sounds great. From what I can tell it's a very minimal production environment that is probably similar to what she brings on stage "I just use all the things my friends like" a Juno synthesizer, a little looper, a sampler, I can't tell what all of it is, a computer. Has used garage band, I'd be really curious if that was the DAW for Visions. I'm curious what drum samples she's using too.

Electronic sounds are so fresh to me right now after years of guitar ballad torture. She's even inspired me to write my own songs in this style. It's more natural for me than attempting to go full electronic like Diplo or something, coming from a rock song writing background. Synthesizers and drum loops are so fun to work with, and not all that hard to learn. I'm glad there's a lot of great new music being made in this vein. I'm happy to be alive now and a small part of it.

here's a live one where you can see how it works

Old 18th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
lol she's great but you are dangerously close to a massive pre-ejac
Old 18th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by = F$ = ➑️
haha I wish I understood what you mean, but, in some way I think I do. there are those kinds of feelings tied up in listening to her (for me)

is it that obvious from my post? I thought it was pretty cool-headed
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
nah man, you're pretty smitten. It's ok though...we all have our groupie moments.

anyway...more music for the new jacks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YuAeeF-2Ec
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
lol, hmmm... I think you're right. I still think this is really good music that deserves to be shared

Grimes gear (live)

Roland SP-404SX portable sampler
Boss VE-20 voice effects unit
Line 6 M9 looper/effects
Roland Juno-G synthesizer
Mackie 802-VLZ3 Compact Mixer
SM58

via twitter today: now prefers Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones. haha!
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
bump for grimes, best breakthrough artist 2012
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Where could you have been living to have been subjected to years of guitar ballads and no electronic music? Has there been any guitar based music in the mainstream for ten years now?

Anyhoo, she's kind of following in the Imogen Heap path in that latter video, looping herself live and what not.
Old 24th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey ➑️
Where could you have been living to have been subjected to years of guitar ballads and no electronic music? Has there been any guitar based music in the mainstream for ten years now?

Anyhoo, she's kind of following in the Imogen Heap path in that latter video, looping herself live and what not.
I have been a long time Radiohead devotee, yet somehow ignorant and ingoring of their synthesizer and piano work, focusing more on their singer songwriter achievements, all the while loving the albums that feature less and less guitars and more and more keyboards and effects and programming. I guess at some point it just dawned on me that I need as a player and writer to have something beyond a guitar to work with as a basis for songs. I was exposed to a lot of electronic music over the years but never internalized it or tried to reproduce it.

I'm not too focused on the mainstream, either. As far as I can tell there's been plenty of guitar rock stuff going on there. anything else just sounds about as awful as this video to me:: a lack of musicianship so utterly voidful that I can't even remember the names of the losers who are the Face of such tripe. These guys can satirically reproduce it on tiny budget machines.

Old 24th September 2012
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Piano is definitely a good song writing tool. Particularly if you are a guitarist, it forces you out of your safety/cliche zone and makes you think about it more.
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Dude you need to check out 'genesis'

Completely blew me away.

I must admit though I was way underwhelmed by geidi primes
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey ➑️
Piano is definitely a good song writing tool. Particularly if you are a guitarist, it forces you out of your safety/cliche zone and makes you think about it more.
synthesizer is doing the same for me, too. I feel like worlds are opening up to me. such a basic way to escape ruts and cliche.
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle muscles ➑️
Dude you need to check out 'genesis'

Completely blew me away.

I must admit though I was way underwhelmed by geidi primes
I'm all over "genesis". Geidi Primes is pretty humble at times but a few of the songs on there like the first one just get me. and the one with the goofy bass guitar loop. I can't even imagine how she got from there to Visions in less than two years time. Maybe some intense woodshedding that we all could hope to feel the need for at some points.
Old 2nd October 2012
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
In case anyone is ever wondering, I talked to Claire last night at one of her shows. She recorded Visions on Apple Garageband, which frankly, amazes me. That reverb sounds so good! I guess that's where all her basic verb, delay, and pitch shifting effects come from. Who would have guessed? Should go in the "amazing productions ITB" thread. She said something like, "it's very limited in what you can do with it, but it works fine for me."

On the topic of her rapid artistic development, she said, "well I just did it a whole lot, no real secrets." And said yes, there's a lot of unreleased material.

It was great meeting her, even though they were trying to get the heck out of there.
Old 14th December 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
i haven't listened to her other albums, but visions is incredible. grimes has certainly "arrived".
Old 14th December 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
"Mixed By, Mastered By – Sebastian Cowan"

http://www.discogs.com/Grimes-Visions/release/3433123

she did the whole album on speed
Old 14th December 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
This type of electronic thing has been the predominate style of music for the last 10 years (since Kid A basically) and if anything, it's in danger of sounding extremely tiresome. Her reverb could be anything. The main thing is that it's mono. So even though the decay time is so long, it doesn't cloud up the mix. The drums in the first video are most likely from the TR-909 originally, but probably she got them off that Juno keyboard or online somewhere. Like here:

Music Machines: TR-909/samples
Old 28th March 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think Grimes is dope.. I like her..

The first Dubstep song I ever liked was her song called "GO" produced by Blood Diamonds.. I like it a lot..
Old 29th March 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I like her music a lot. She definitely likes Roland gear, based on her live setup. "REALiTi" is a great track.
Old 29th March 2015
Deleted User
She's a huge talent. Interesting that she scrapped her last album. From what I can tell, she used the same software that every other electronic producer uses, and then she realized that made her sound like everyone else (see the song "go".) Even for a talent as big as Grimes, there just aren't that many ways to make things sound unique with software alone. Psyched she had the guts to abort the album and try to come up with something better.
Old 24th April 2015
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Agreed. Can't wait to hear what she finally comes up with! And hopefully some new music videos of course.
Old 24th April 2015
Deleted c205829
Blood Diamonds coproduced Go and that was written for Rihanna

I'm not sure why that one got so much flack

Seems like her other "scrapped" song REALiTi is getting a better response

The only song that made me hope it isn't a direction she is going in, is the one on the Girls soundtrack called Entropy. That one was also coproduced by Bleachers.
Old 4th January 2016
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Grimes' also inspiring me with a few tips here and there but I'm mainly focusing on the drums' she has produced in "Visions". Especially in her songs such as "Color of Moonlight" and "Symphonia IX", like dude I just can't get enough of it. I can tell they've been distorted but would anyone have further recommendations on how to achieve those sounds? Same with her style in that album, those snares and toms are definitely not from packs like Vengeance and Loopmasters
Old 4th January 2016
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Plus, the fact that she can fill a song with one line of bass in Genesis and Oblivion is outstanding
Old 12th March 2016
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Grimes at Brixton

I'm desperate to find out how her whole set up works. Grimes gear at Brixton the other night was 2 SP404sx's with a mpd26. She did the entire sound from this apart from a Gaia synth. She'd have loops running and then she'd hit a pad and all the drums would come in perfectly in sync. It sounded massive. How does she do it?
Old 12th March 2016 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walk_in_Silence ➑️
I'm desperate to find out how her whole set up works. Grimes gear at Brixton the other night was 2 SP404sx's with a mpd26. She did the entire sound from this apart from a Gaia synth. She'd have loops running and then she'd hit a pad and all the drums would come in perfectly in sync. It sounded massive. How does she do it?
I think she could be doing one of two things or both on different songs. In the kexp video she doesn't have an mpd and she seems to be triggering long samples that contain entire sections of the track, and also samples that don't need to be right on the beat like the washy backing vocals. I think she's just playing the backing track on her iPhone? More recently she seems to be using the sp404 to trigger things like snare rolls and samples, but she only touches her station in between verses/choruses etc., and so that leads me to believe she either has entire sections with drums backing vocals and everything all on one sample on her sp404, or that she has the mpd pads set up so that batches of samples can be triggered at the appropriate moments in a song.
Old 13th March 2016
Deleted User
Backing tracks
Old 11th April 2016
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Does anyone know where I can watch the video she did showing how she produces from her tumblr? It looks like she took it all down..
Old 11th April 2016
Dot
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Cool to see this topic. Grimes is awesome, and about the coolest artist on the planet right now. I've likened her to a younger, female version of Todd Rundren. She's a wizard, a true star.

I've been listening to her Art Angels album through a Lavry DA11 and Audeze LCD-XC headphones this morning. Good fun!

Grimes is included in our Reference Music We Use For Gear Tests

We've been setting up an interview through her management after her tour's over. Going to get into all the geeky studio aspects of her work.

The next album that gets finished here is being mastered by Randy Merrill at Sterling Sound in NYC, who mastered Art Angels.
Old 11th April 2016
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
springreverb?
Old 11th April 2016 | Show parent
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by = F$ = ➑️
Just wanted to say it took me a while to fully appreciate this great zinger

Still a big Grimes fan. I know there are a few videos of her house on YouTube and you can see her Art Angels production workstation, some kind of computer with big monitors.

I'm glad she decided to keep full control of the recording process. I know she had some problems with sexism on the way, so good on her for sticking to her guns.
πŸ“ Reply