Quantcast
Can Apogee Duet 2 record MIDI signals onto Logic Pro9? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Can Apogee Duet 2 record MIDI signals onto Logic Pro9?
Old 17th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Can Apogee Duet 2 record MIDI signals onto Logic Pro9?

Old 18th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Apogee Duet 2 - 2 IN x 4 OUT USB audio interface

Midi - No
Audio - Yes

What are you trying to connect with midi?
Old 18th September 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Thx for the reply, Sochitag.

I have an M Audio Key Studio 49i to trigger Vst sounds in Logic Pro 9. My midi keyboard has an inbuilt audio card (no preamps/converters) but when I try to record vocals/guitar the signal is too thin.

So, I was thinking if I should get an Apogee duet 2 and connect my Midi keyboard to it and also use it for recording vocals/guitar.

What do you suggest? Should I go in for apogee duet 2 or other USB interface like Presonus/Focusrite/NI Komplete 6? The USB interface I have mentioned have a Midi I/O slot in them.
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I presume the KeyStudio 49i has a USB connection midi connection to your PC or Mac - which is what you would use to trigger virtual instruments in Logic. However, the audio is not good.

As you suggest an Apogee Duet 2 will give you very high quality audio in to Logic or any other DAW.

If you have a lot of external midi then it might be worth looking at one of the other interfaces you suggest. I have the original Apogee Duet and a Yamaha N12 (which has midi) - I can only report that they both sound very clean and I see no need to change either.

So it really depends on on your budget, what equipment you already have and what your recording plans are.
Old 18th September 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Sochi, Thanks for your reply.

Yes, KeyStudio 49i has a USB connection and you are right about saying that the audio is not good. I record midi quite a bit, so guess I should check out other interface.

One more question. If I am unable to trigger midi thru Apogee Duet/ Duet2, will hearing the overall mix of my project (combination of midi+audio) output thru Apogee Duet/ Duet 2 make my song to be heard better than the audio interface/s I mentioned? I use a headphone to monitor the output.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SochiTag ➑️
I presume the KeyStudio 49i has a USB connection midi connection to your PC or Mac - which is what you would use to trigger virtual instruments in Logic. However, the audio is not good.

As you suggest an Apogee Duet 2 will give you very high quality audio in to Logic or any other DAW.

If you have a lot of external midi then it might be worth looking at one of the other interfaces you suggest. I have the original Apogee Duet and a Yamaha N12 (which has midi) - I can only report that they both sound very clean and I see no need to change either.

So it really depends on on your budget, what equipment you already have and what your recording plans are.
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
If you record through a high quality interface and then playback through a high quality interface your mix should sound better - even if your using headphones.
Old 19th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Ok, sounds good. Thx sochi.

Sent from my GT-I9000
πŸ“ Reply