Looking for INEFFICIENT guitar speaker. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Looking for INEFFICIENT guitar speaker.
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Looking for INEFFICIENT guitar speaker.

I'm searching for a single, 100W, 12" speaker that'll let me run my non-mastervolume Marshalls at their best level, without the humunguous volume coming from a 4x12".
Iso cabs or power soaks are not an option, BTW.
Old 18th September 2012

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Get two cheap 8 ohm speakers and mount them face to face on a board with a hole between them. Wire them in series (total 16 ohms) and electrically in phase, which means that acoustically they will be 180 degrees out of phase. These speakers will cancel each other out, and soak up a lot of power while electrically behaving just like a pair of speakers in a cabinet. Mount them in a box with some fiberglass to absorb unwanted sound. Connect them inline with the speaker you wish to record. Series might be fine (e.g. giving you a 24 ohm load which will be very inefficient and allow you to crank the amps). Or, in parallel with a 16 ohm speaker which will give you an 8 ohm load, or parallel with an 8 ohm speaker which will give you something like a 6 ohm load.
Old 18th September 2012

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
BTW - without a power soak, a single 12 is going to massively loud - just as loud as a 4x12. From an energy efficiency point of view, 4 x 12s are less efficient than a single 12.

Speakers and cabs are all about tone - choose them for tone, and volume level is a secondary issue that becomes meaningless in the context of a mix.

If this is about keeping peace with neighbours, ANY guitar cab is going to annoy them. Look for a better solution.
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Man that's a tough one...
I don't know of any 100w speakers with a low efficiency rating.
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
What the OP is looking for doesn't exist. JBL D120's/Weber Californias are close at 75 watts each, but they are hella loud.

andychamp - can't have your cake and eat it too. What is your goal?

smaller cab footprint
lower volume
1 source speaker vs. 4
Other
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi ➑️
(...)Speakers and cabs are all about tone - choose them for tone, and volume level is a secondary issue that becomes meaningless in the context of a mix(...)
Agree about the tone & mix parts, but my points here are:
- volume in a band recording setting. (the phase-reversal idea might actually work here)
- smaller point source when overdubbing. I like to use omni mics and found single-speaker combos to be easier to record.

Another way to put it would be, what is louder: a starved 300W ZakkWylde EV, or a 100-120W speaker running near its peak capacity?
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
There are few ways of doing what you want without compromise. However, you can try a couple of things:

1. Eminence Reignmaker. Great speaker that allows you to attenuate the actual speaker. Though it only can handle 75w (100 watt non-master Marshall's can easily push 180 when cranked).

Eminence Reignmaker FDM Tone Adjustable 12" Guitar Speaker - 8 ohm | Musician's Friend

2. Use a Hotplate or similar attenuator to knock off 4db, thus getting you into safe range for a single 12" Reignmaker. I've done this and it took a good amount of wallop off the volume. Pretty cool combination for recording. Of course any more than 4db on most attenuator sucks the life out of the sound. The Rivera RockCrusher is killer sounding on the first notch down too.

Food for thought.
Old 18th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi ➑️
Get two cheap 8 ohm speakers and mount them face to face on a board with a hole between them. Wire them in series (total 16 ohms) and electrically in phase, which means that acoustically they will be 180 degrees out of phase. These speakers will cancel each other out, and soak up a lot of power while electrically behaving just like a pair of speakers in a cabinet. Mount them in a box with some fiberglass to absorb unwanted sound. Connect them inline with the speaker you wish to record. Series might be fine (e.g. giving you a 24 ohm load which will be very inefficient and allow you to crank the amps). Or, in parallel with a 16 ohm speaker which will give you an 8 ohm load, or parallel with an 8 ohm speaker which will give you something like a 6 ohm load.
I really like this idea!
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I've had the idea of wiring a 1x12" cabinet that's also full of resistors to soak up power. For example, a Celestion GH12H-30 (30 watts) plus 70 watts of resistors so you could hook it up to a 100 watt head. I have no idea how the resistors would affect the sound, I have this dream where they're totally transparent...

You can get them from Weber Speakers (Weber Speakers - Making the world a bit louder each day.), up to 50 watts. You'd have to figure out how the impedance would add up but otherwise seems simple to implement. I would give them a call and ask questions of those guys, I've heard they make very nice speakers as well. Anybody ever tried anything like this?
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Umm, a bunch of resistors IS an attenuator, just without any control... In fact the earliest attenuators (Altec and later the Scholtz) were expanded metal cages and you could actually see the network of wire wound resistors in there. Then guitarists decided that some kind of variable impedance with frequency and volume (like a real speaker has) and attenuators now use light bulbs, or speaker frames or other tricks to try and be more reactive.

Anyway, AFAIK there are no high power, low efficiency speakers. The lowest one I've found is a pre-SRO EV speaker that's about 1/2 as loud as a typical Celestion, so I'm guessing around 90 dB. But I'm also guessing that it'd top out at 50w max, definitely be blown up by a NMV Marshall. That said, attenuating said Marshall down to 50w (12 dB) wouldn't likely affect the tone at all, so it might actually work for you. The other choice would be to talk to Weber about what would be his least efficient speaker (or Emminence) and try the same trick with that (because, again, there are no low efficiency, high powered speakers).
πŸ“ Reply