Quantcast
Tony Bennett's new CD--is it the 4047 again? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tony Bennett's new CD--is it the 4047 again?
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Tony Bennett's new CD--is it the 4047 again?

Seems Tony's new latin duets CD will be released shortly. Is he using a 4047 here with Mark Anthony? Kinda looks like it to me. I have one but often just go to my Flea 47--maybe I should pull out the AT more often.
Attached Thumbnails
Tony Bennett's new CD--is it the 4047 again?-485684_10151096669954902_1264739053_n.jpg  
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Anybody recognize those floor monitors?
Old 18th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Mackie th15a!
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Article on Tony's son recording him with 4047's here:

Dae Bennett: Recording Tony Bennett's 'One For My Baby (And One More For The Road)'
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Great article. I have the CD--to me that's one fine recording! They're kicking it old school.
Old 18th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexdinunzio80 ➑️
Mackie th15a!
nix they are Behringer copies of Mackie's
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Look like AT4047 mics and Tapco Thump monitors to me.
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Tony Bennett`s talent is unequalled in my book - the top of the top shelf.

I have always loved AT Mics - underrated and best bang for the buck out there.

Cdlt
Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
[QUOTE=Melgueil;8278803]Tony Bennett`s talent is unequalled in my book - the top of the top shelf.

In 1981 our band was playing in a large hotel club. Tony came to play the jazz room in the same hotel. We spent all our breaks taking his performances in. Incredibly humble, polite, and inspiring man. I've been a huge fan ever since! His phrasing, control and connection with the lyrics is unparalleled IMO. May just have to dust off the 4047 for a session today.
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Although it didn't ruin the record by any means, I thought that the 4047 sounded pretty iffy on a lot of the duet vocals on the last one.

Not knockin anyone, but it sure sounded like "lets make sure tony sounds amazing by giving everyone else the 'ok' mic". That decision probably never actually occurred, but thats what it sounds like to me.

Nothing was gonna make talented performers like these sound BAD I guess. Lets just say Ive heard a lot of those guests sound way better on their own records!
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Which 4047? SV? Or MP?
Different Mics...
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
[QUOTE=halcyo;8279860]Although it didn't ruin the record by any means, I thought that the 4047 sounded pretty iffy on a lot of the duet vocals on the last one.

Not knockin anyone, but it sure sounded like "lets make sure tony sounds amazing by giving everyone else the 'ok' mic". That decision probably never actually occurred, but thats what it sounds like to me. }

I would be willing to bet a whole truckload of scoots ($$$) ----that this scenario never happened. Tony epitomizes integrity---he is most definitely comfortable and confident with his singing ability. I feel he could stand next to any vocalist on the planet, and feel absolutely non-threatened!
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Where did they record this record? Bennet studios is closed isn't it?
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

Just like the instruments are nothing unless in the hands of a skilled player, so to the recording gear is nothing unless in the hands of a skilled engineer. To much emphasis is put on the gear and not enough on the technique.

Yes, the gear does matter. Completely crappy gear will never sound great no matter whose hands its in but so much of the modern affordable recording gear is capable of great recordings if the people using them know what they are doing.

I love gear. Love to talk gear, look at gear, play with gear, purchase new gear etc. But more than anything is the satisfaction of learning to really use the gear and that moment when you realize you understand what the gear can do and are capable of using the gear and hearing what it can do.
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by halcyo ➑️
Not knockin anyone, but it sure sounded like "lets make sure tony sounds amazing by giving everyone else the 'ok' mic".
As if Tony Bennett needs any help from studio "trick" .

Last edited by Melgueil; 22nd September 2012 at 05:32 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 19th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Studio vids using 4047

Tony Bennett - YouTube
Old 19th October 2012
Lives for gear
"My vocal setup for the recordings with the quartet consisted of two Audio-Technica AT4047 mics, going into a Neve 1073 and then a [Urei] 1176. I normally like to use the classic Neumann U47 for recording vocals, but they would have picked up too much of the room. The AT4047s have a tighter cardioid pattern and also sound very good. In the sessions when the vocalists sang to the locked two-track edits, I did use two Neumann U47 mics."
Old 24th October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfield ➑️
WOW! those are amazing!
No pop filters? but I noticed the mics are angled (or is it the camera angle?)
πŸ“ Reply