mixing ambient guitars! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
mixing ambient guitars!
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
mixing ambient guitars!

hey.
i recorded some ambient rock / postrock tracks with a band.
i recorded all the ambient style guitars with two closed mics on the fender combo (beyerdynamic ribbon + Neumann TLM170) and about 1,5 m in front of the combo was a c414 with omni polar pattern for the room.
i did that for both guitars.
so now i ws wondering how to place the tracks in the mix so that it makes the most sense?
i really would like to have an ambient guitar sound.
would it make sense for example to pan the closed mics hard L and R and put the room mic on the opposite side?

thanks.
cheers.
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Impossible to say without hearing. Suffice to say it's a purely creative decision as you're not trying to represent a particular acoustic sound.

Options :

Room mic panned hard one side is often cool.

Ribbon in the middle with Neumann ADT hard left and right.

Ribbon and Neumann panned 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock and then delay from each panned opposite hard over.

Ribbon dead centre with Neumann auto panning slightly lrlrlrlrlrlr in the centre.

Totally depends in the sound, but I wouldn't necessarily use the room mic, but rather add a little of whatever reverb or delay you're using on something else in the song to glue it in a little.

It also depends on how much space you want the ambient gtrs to take up. Are they main thing or are they filling space around other less ambient things.

Loads of choices really, but nice choices on sounds like that as you can't really go wrong.
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Looks like just you and me on this one. No one else mixes ambient guitars.
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
A lot of times the room mics aren't needed if the "ambience" is actually from their guitars (delays, verbs). But it also depends on the room and mic distance of the room mic.

What I have found with double or triple mic'd guitars is to blend them and buss them to one aux. It just makes sense for me personally.

Here's a recent track I mixed for a band who definitely has some ambient elements although I didn't use any of the room mics. Juts the close mics.

Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
panning and automation are your best friends here. watch for frequency masking, and have fun! ambient guitars are some of the most fun to work on
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Happen to mix a lot of ambient guitars, hi/low pass to give it guitar it's own space, lots of verb and delay, it's like gravy in this genre. I usually don't worry too much about multi-micing because it's more about different elements than a wall of sound. A lot of times I'll go direct from the pedal board, it's a lot cleaner.
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmixer ➑️
Happen to mix a lot of ambient guitars, hi/low pass to give it guitar it's own space, lots of verb and delay, it's like gravy in this genre. I usually don't worry too much about multi-micing because it's more about different elements than a wall of sound. A lot of times I'll go direct from the pedal board, it's a lot cleaner.
I agree with all of this. Good advice. I personally don't like going from the pedalboard as I like the air you get from a mic on a cab but all methods have their place. I never mind a little bit of noise but if it's too much, something like Waves X noise clears it up amazingly well. I put a guitar through a fast Leslie (with a noisy motor) and X noise worked miracles on that. It went from barely usable to beautiful. I was impressed.
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
great replies. I'm a fan of this genre/sound myself and spend a lot of time experimenting, so it's nice to get other perspectives.

what artists/bands do you reference as "ambient guitar"? I tend to ref solo material by daniel lanois as well as artists like lanterna and startle the heavens. would love to know what yours...
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
references are heavier bands like Isis, russian circles,...
but also bands like,...Caspian, sigur ros, Elliot, Mogwai,...!

i work on the first song since two days now and its not easy for me to get the rhythm section right, really would like to a really ambient but still punchy drum sound,...!

difficult, at the moment i hve more the feeling that my drums sound like some folk/indie stuff like boniver *gg*
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I really depends on the music, guitar sound and what else you have going on in the mix. I would probably mute at least two of the mics. Use the room mic plus one of the others.
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Typically, I prefer to use reverb sends from the room mics rather than the close mics. It would largely depend on whether they had reverbs/delays in the chain while tracking. I would agree that all of the mics aren't needed. I'd use mainly the room mics, then automate one of the close mics when you need a little more clarity.
Old 22nd September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I seldomly use room mics for guitar recording (because I don't have any room that sounds good enough) and am pretty happy with the results I get when using nice reverbs and delays on the close mics.
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tape_attack!!! ➑️
references are heavier bands like Isis, russian circles,...
but also bands like,...Caspian, sigur ros, Elliot, Mogwai,...!

i work on the first song since two days now and its not easy for me to get the rhythm section right, really would like to a really ambient but still punchy drum sound,...!

difficult, at the moment i hve more the feeling that my drums sound like some folk/indie stuff like boniver *gg*
Thanks for the references, I haven't heard of Isis or Russian Circles so I'm interested in checking them out.
Old 24th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Famous Yard ➑️
I never mind a little bit of noise but if it's too much, something like Waves X noise clears it up amazingly well. I put a guitar through a fast Leslie (with a noisy motor) and X noise worked miracles on that. It went from barely usable to beautiful. I was impressed.
Me too! That plug is awesome...
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
here is the first mix i did, would be great to get some feedback.
what do you guys think?
Old 29th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tape_attack!!! ➑️
here is the first mix i did, would be great to get some feedback.
what do you guys think?
Very cool. Love the sound. Well done. I think you'd really like Lanterna and Startle the Heavens.

This is a sound I like a lot, so I'm biased. Have you heard of The Whitest Boy Alive?

FWIW here's a couple of my tracks, very different... but you might dig it...

and an older one I posted stems and recording notes on...
Gear and Guitars : Manhattan Sunset : Production & Stems (Ambient Groove)
πŸ“ Reply