Quantcast
Anyone used the Ferrofish A16?? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anyone used the Ferrofish A16??
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Anyone used the Ferrofish A16??

Seems like there are a bunch of threads with people mentioning that have ordered one... but very few people have actually posted their thoughts on it!

Anyone using it? It is really really cheap for 32 channels of I/O.
Old 17th September 2012
PMF
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I'm interested in this too....
Old 17th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
?bump?
Old 22nd November 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I use one... wonderfull machine. No pre-amps needed, traight in. excelent sound.
Old 22nd November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
No pre amps needed? Are you using microphones with it? I was under the understanding it would work great with keyboards, but it didn't have mic ins. Could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time.

I seriously considered the Ferrofish because I have Sonic Core's Xite and I did see it at NAMM last year. I decided on an Apogee instead because I couldn't really evaluate the Ferrofish all that well, and anything related to Scope/Creamware tends to go in and out of business a lot. I don't know how Ferrofish is affiliated with Scope, and I could be very, very wrong, but I think they are related somehow.

I also figured I could get the Apogee serviced a lot easier here in the USA.

Tim
Old 23rd December 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
There are no preamps on the on the MKII. I've been using mine for a few months now and I am very pleased with it. I'm going in analog and out with adat into a RME UFX.
Old 23rd December 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I will soon be using one, will have it installed in a couple of days primary for connecting my outboard synths and effects, will be connected to my RME FF800
Old 23rd December 2012
ST.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I absolutely love mine. Their customer support, in my experience, is as good as it gets.

I can't recommend them enough.
Old 23rd December 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Agreed

Great unit and great customer service!
Old 12th February 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
We're glad that you like the unit.
Old 24th March 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I have 2 of these. For anyone running a mix of ADAT/TOSLINK and MADI it's a godsend. With 2 A16 MkIIs you get 32 analog inputs plus 32 digital inputs via ADAT, all sent over a single MADI cable to the SSL card in my shiny new DAW. Couldn't be happier!
Old 30th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by demane22 ➑️
There are no preamps on the on the MKII. I've been using mine for a few months now and I am very pleased with it. I'm going in analog and out with adat into a RME UFX.
So you're controlling the A16's in's and out's with RME's total mix?
I'm also a UFX owner, and i've just bought a 24 channel console and i am now in need of more channels of AD / DA.
Old 30th April 2013
Gear Head

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I'm very interested in hearing more about this UFX setup also. I need to get more converters and I've been looking at this same setup...
Old 20th May 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
How can you connect it if you have just AES - EBU I/O ? (like RME AES-32) ?
Old 20th May 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I own the Ferrofish unit and tie it in my signal chain with a RME RayDAT pcie card. I clock everything with a BLA Micro clock mkII. The ferrofish unit is solidly built. It sounds good, with no blatant artifacts or weird stuff on the audio. Good head room, easy to use and doesnt run as hot as its creamware predecessor. Get one. Youll love it.

Sent from my MB855
Old 20th May 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Is there any easy convertor ADAT - AES ?
Old 20th May 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Wheels ➑️
I'm very interested in hearing more about this UFX setup also. I need to get more converters and I've been looking at this same setup...
i've bought an A16 mkII two weeks ago.
works like a charm connected via ADAT to my UFX!
the converters are definitely up to par withe RME unit.
Old 30th June 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by the fxs ➑️
So you're controlling the A16's in's and out's with RME's total mix?
I'm also a UFX owner, and i've just bought a 24 channel console and i am now in need of more channels of AD / DA.
Yes, controlling everything from totalmix without issue.
Old 1st July 2013
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
What's up with the cost of MADI cards? Is the technology THAT much more hard core than Firewire or AES/EBU or whatnot? The RME card is $1800 itself, street price. That would kind of wipe out the cost benefits of the Ferrofish. You'd be looking at like $3200 for 16 I/O. For less than that you could also do two Multiface II cards plus the HDSP cards (and the parallel connections they provide, not sure if that's an advantage over MADI or not.)

Of course the MADI card would let you add another unit for 32 I/O, but still. Is it just early adopter pricing? Seems like it's been around too long for that.
Old 1st July 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey ➑️
What's up with the cost of MADI cards? Is the technology THAT much more hard core than Firewire or AES/EBU or whatnot? The RME card is $1800 itself, street price. That would kind of wipe out the cost benefits of the Ferrofish. You'd be looking at like $3200 for 16 I/O. For less than that you could also do two Multiface II cards plus the HDSP cards (and the parallel connections they provide, not sure if that's an advantage over MADI or not.)

Of course the MADI card would let you add another unit for 32 I/O, but still. Is it just early adopter pricing? Seems like it's been around too long for that.
With a MADI card and the Ferrofish you can pass 32 x 32 channels. Adding a second unit you can run 64 x 64 over MADI.
Old 2nd July 2013
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Terminology I guess. I generally consider 16 in/16 out to be 16 channels, since only 16 of them are going in the direction you want at any one time. Unless you are including digital ones as well? Obviously that's a considerable amount of potential capacity, but if you really only need the A/D and D/A, from a price competitiveness POV, it's losing a lot due to the cost of the MADI board.
Old 2nd July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I use one here with an RME FF800. You don't need MADI if your interface has dual ADAT ports. You can run 16 IO over ADAT at 44.1 or 48kHz. It's nice. I have the older Creamware one as well. Nice and clean conversion. The analogue stages clip pretty gracefully if you're interested in doing that sort of things with drums.

MADI's still a relatively niche format. It's getting cheaper all the time but it's main market it large live sound and broadcast... where there are actually budgets to buy this sort of thing, as there's real money coming in!
Old 2nd July 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Here is one Mamba AES -ADAT 16x16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISedlacek ➑️
Is there any easy convertor ADAT - AES ?
ADAT to AES/EBU
Old 16th July 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
more than 1 year since the last message.

I bump this thread (!)

any comments on this unit? I got an offer and I'm very interested

regards!
Old 16th July 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
How time flies! What do you want to know? It's decent set of 16 AD/DA converters for the money and one of few to cram thst sensibly into 1U (Antelope Orion 32 being another). It remains the cheapest MADI converter on the market, though you can get it without the MADI option fitted. MADI cards and interfaces are getting more affordable (eg RME MADIface). Metering good. Build quality fine. Technical quality decent, though not up there with Lynx, Prism etc. Any more questions?
Old 16th July 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixedup ➑️
...Any more questions?
Thanks for your soon reply(!)

My concern is about the AD/DA conversion quality, I decided to return an Antelope Zen Studio, so I want to know about the Ferrofish compared to other solution as Orion32, SSL Alpha, Apogee, RME UFX, etc. (always talking about sound quality and stability).

regards!
Old 16th July 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i have a Creamware A16 Ultra i use on synths & outboard. I love it.
The Creamware A16 was designed by Ferrofish owner, Juergen Kindermann & the Ferrofish A16 unit is a further development of his design.

This SOS article gets into spec measurements & comparison units.
Ferrofish A16 Ultra MkII
Old 16th July 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevil ➑️
This SOS article gets into spec measurements & comparison units.
Ferrofish A16 Ultra MkII
It seems at least spec-wise it's a tad below the RME ADI-8 DS MKIII, granted it's half the price.

I have a RayDat and have been looking at those two units, even though the RME unit has only 8 channels vs 16 for the Ferrofish, I believe the ADI can do 8 @ 96k just like the Ferrofish, and also it has D-Subs as well which is a plus.

I'm more inclined to go with the RME, I'm wondering if anyone has heard the two side by side?
Old 17th July 2014
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
I ran a Creamware A16 rig years ago, and I recall the specs being close to what he measures in that SOS article / review. Bang for the buck it was a great converter but not fantastic sounding by any stretch. I don't know if they updated the conversion (mine was ADAT only) and I don't know why they won't release any specs (according to that SOS review).

When I owned mine it was like $900 street for a new Creamware branded unit, this was like 8 or 9 years ago.

War
Old 17th July 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevil ➑️
i have a Creamware A16 Ultra i use on synths & outboard. I love it...
That's what I wanted to hear, thanks(!)
I'm decided. I will go with 2 x Ferrofish and a RME RayDat, looks very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead ➑️
I ran a Creamware A16 rig years ago, and I recall the specs being close to what he measures in that SOS article / review. Bang for the buck it was a great converter but not fantastic sounding by any stretch...
Hey War,
casually I was thinking in sending you a private message.
About the quality of conversion of the Ferrofish uses the same chip as the RME Fireface 800, I guess they are similar then.

Which other solutions would you compare it to?.
πŸ“ Reply