Quantcast
Anyone used the Ferrofish A16?? - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anyone used the Ferrofish A16??
Old 26th July 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Or I can buy a RME Madiface USB with a Ferrofish and buy a 2nd Ferrofish in the future to have more inputs (32 vs 20/28), but it will more expensive then buying the RME Fireface 802 with a Ferrofish without Madi
Old 26th July 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The Ferrofish it's good, you won't need more.
And if you use it with MADI is even better with 16 channels at 192k.
Old 27th July 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Nice! So I'll go with the Madiface + 2 Ferrofish
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Avoid the Madiface thru USB even with 3.0, you can get the best performance using the E-PCIe port using a device like this (other user has recommended it):
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...T_ADAPTER.html

Otherwise if you don't have a thunderbolt port, you may check the RME MADI FX card (PCIe)
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Thx for the input!

I'm still a newbie, so I got another "stupid" question: I saw that all of the Madiface types, except the XT (that's too expensive for me), don't have any out (for monitors and headphones), so can I route the line out and headphones out into the Ferrofish and use 3 of its outs for that? Or I just have to return to the 1st choice setup: RME 802 + Ferrofish? (the 802 uses 9-10 11-12 outs for headphones and line out)
Old 26th August 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by papawise ➡️
Hi there,
I didn't receive them yet, but all the comments that I got are very positive about the Ferrofish.
Did you get your RME + Ferrofish up and running ? if so, what you thinking about this setup?

Im having FF800 and im thinking to expend my I\Os, it will be either RME ADI 8 DS mk3 ( coz of the AES I\Os) or Ferrofish (16 I\O in 1U)...

Also someone know if i can use on the ADI 8 DS mk3 the 8 I\O via ADAT 1 (main) and the 4 AES I\O (with the split cable\D-Sub) via ADAT 2 (AUX) simultaneously?
Old 27th August 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Hello mate, still didn't receive the combo, but I will post the results as soon as I get them. What I can say by now, is that I got very good comments of every user I found of the Ferrofish, I feel comfortable with a RME solution thru PCI express with ADAT or MADI converters, specially with 1/4" TRS inputs.
Old 29th August 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by papawise ➡️
Hello mate, still didn't receive the combo, but I will post the results as soon as I get them. What I can say by now, is that I got very good comments of every user I found of the Ferrofish, I feel comfortable with a RME solution thru PCI express with ADAT or MADI converters, specially with 1/4" TRS inputs.
Looking forward to hear your thoughts
Old 9th April 2015
Here for the gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
A long-time Creamware/SonicCore user here. I've been running the original Creamware A16 Ultras here in my studio for well over a decade. The best bang-for-the buck option in analog-digital conversion in my opinion. I will be acquiring a Ferrofish A16 very soon. I just recently bought an Xite-1. I was told that I could expect an improvement in sound quality over the older model A16s and that's good enough for me.

My only complaint is that Ferrofish chose to ignore or abandon Creamware's proprietary Z-Link interface which is a shame because it is/was an improvement over the ADAT interface. Two Firewire cables carry 32 channels of IO (16 in 16 out) as opposed to four Toslink cables. Of course that doesn't do anyone any good unless they're running Xite.
Old 10th April 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by divine source ➡️
Looking forward to hear your thoughts
Sorry to take so long mate,
I forgot about this thread,

Now I can tell that the Ferrofish is a great product,
I've received it in December '14 and paired it with an RME RayDat, I can't be more happy. Very solid unit, the materials, the build quality and the functioning so simply is all what you need, no breakdowns, without counting the RME RayDat one of the best adquisitions I've made.

THE BEST COUPLE. Ferrofish+Raydat
📝 Reply