The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anyone used the Ferrofish A16??
Old 17th July 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by papawise ➑️
That's what I wanted to hear, thanks(!)
I'm decided. I will go with 2 x Ferrofish and a RME RayDat, looks very good.
Dude, did you not read War's assessment? It was not exactly a glowing endorsement of Creamware/Ferrofish.

I have a RayDat, and I think I'm going for the RME ADI-8 DS MKIII, it seems the Ferrofish is deficient by all accounts to it...
Old 17th July 2014
Gear Addict

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Live my ferrofish a16....I use 16 in/out via adat 48k. Use it to hook up external pre's, as well as the 16 outs to a summing mixer.

I agree the unit sounds great, exceptionally well built. Great controls.

I know it's a small detail, but I love the quality of the 1/4" jacks. They are all very solid and there is a nice tight click when you plug something in....

Idk, just makes me feel like I'm getting the best signal transfer when the jacks are of such high quality.....nothing bugs me more than spending big money on a unit where the jacks are pcb mount and don't feel solidly attached to the chassis.
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
Just to clarify, I do not know if they ever upgraded the digital and analog sections of the new A16. When Creamware became "Sonic Core" I was told they just changed the appearance.

I would put my old Creamware A16 somewhere slightly behind the ECHO Audiofire 12, having owned the A16 for a while and having done gigs with the Audiofire at that time.

I am going to reach out to the new USA distributor of Ferrofish and see if we can't get them in here, and add to our converter test etc.

War
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone ➑️
Dude, did you not read War's assessment? It was not exactly a glowing endorsement of Creamware/Ferrofish.

I have a RayDat, and I think I'm going for the RME ADI-8 DS MKIII, it seems the Ferrofish is deficient by all accounts to it...
I just heard enough good comments about the actual Ferrofish MK2.
I'm tired of all the neverending conversion thing.
I need 24-32 decent analog inputs/outputs and start to work with my (still didn't arrived) Barefoot's.

Deficient by all accounts to it? could you give arguments please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead ➑️
...I am going to reach out to the new USA distributor of Ferrofish and see if we can't get them in here, and add to our converter test etc.

War
War, that would be great,

I readed that besides the MADI addition they've improved the performance, thanks to the latest generation of AKM AK4620B converter chips and redesigned clock circuitry.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
There have been several versions. Creamware and Sonic Core did it, there was a jack version in 1U and a larger XLR version. Ferrofish then launched the mkII some time later. One can put a little too much emphssis on the quality of the conversion itself, I think. Judged by ear there's little in it between these two units and the RME FF800 I have here. They're not going to challenge Lynx etc on the tech spec. But they're not bad. And as I said before, the analogue stages seem to clip in a relatively pleasant way, which can be a factor for drums (the FF800 does not!). I'd be very interested in BLA or someone coming up with an upgrade mod - the units are all well built and the offset jack arrangement is handy, not to mention the MADI interfacing, and if tech specs could be improved they'd be a no-brainer.. Still... hard to see past the Antelope, unless you need *huge* channel counts or an irrational hate of Dsubs! In which case it's hard to see past RME MADIFace plus Ferrofish, RME, Lynx, SSL converters etc. If I went Antelope, though, I think I'd miss Totalmix a lot. Or there's Rednet, I suppose...
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
to be honest,
at this level I WOULD LOVE(!) test the 4 or 5 solutions that I found by myself and finish with all this theoric thing and put hands to work, but like I say in each post I make, I don't have that chance in this country. I only have 1 chance to choose and do it right.

Ferrofish (x2) + RME Raydat
Echo Audiofire 12 (x2)
MOTU 24io
Antelope Zen Studio (already ordered)

They all offers many inputs with really different prices.
I would love the Zen to work rock solid and stable, but isn't getting the best reviews in that arena, the MOTU is a 10+ years old product and while some says it sounds great, others say it sound bad, the Ferrofish it's a very interesting solution but then I'm limited thru ADAT to 48k and the conversion seems to be regular and lastly, making it more difficult, the Audiofire 12 looks great!, got very nice opinions and it's very cheap $500.
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I readed that besides the MADI addition they've improved the performance, thanks to the latest generation of AKM AK4620B converter chips and redesigned clock circuitry.
Where did you read this? At this moment I am awaiting a response from the USA distributor but that would be very good info for you and others.

As I mentioned before, the Creamware version was 16 I/O via ADAT for like $800 to $900 street when I used it! It was crazy bang for the buck back in the day.

Others to consider might be the SPL MADISON, which performed very well in our tests.

War
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
that SPL product looks interesting, I will take a look.

about the improvement of the Ferrofish, I readed it here.
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct1...ultra-mkii.htm

Now, I'm just looking between the quality of the Ferrofish and the Audiofire 12 (product that I never paid attention regarding the price, my bad).
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
It seems at least spec-wise it's a tad below the RME ADI-8 DS MKIII, granted it's half the price.
yeah, it tends to get compared to units twice it's price. i snagged my CW unit used for $575 which was a no brainier for me. i also use Lucid 88192, Mackie 800R & previously used B ADA8000. based on my experience i'd sandwich the quality between the Lucid & the Mackie.

If you're still looking for more input i'd check the Creamware forums over at planetZ. great user support & I know some of the Sonic|Core peeps are on there regularly. not sure if Ferrofish monitors that site directly.
Planet Z - Ferrofish
Old 17th July 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I'd wish the Ferrofish had better dynamic range and D-subs, for that I'd forgo the extra 8 channels and MADI. If that were the case it would definetly be a no-brainier. Due to those deficiencies there is pause for thought...

It gets compared to higher priced units because as it is there aren't too many options for high quality 8 channel adat expansion boxes.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Now, I'm just looking between the quality of the Ferrofish and the Audiofire 12 (product that I never paid attention regarding the price, my bad).
MOTU 2408mk3 is another midrange ADAT unit i've heard positive reviews of. never used it myself though.

::update: the MOTU unit i heard + feedback on was BLA modded::
looks like they also offer a mod for the Audiofire 12 mentioned above.
http://blacklionaudio.com/product/mo...log-stage-mod/
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I'd wish the Ferrofish had better dynamic range and D-subs, for that I'd forgo the extra 8 channels and MADI. If that were the case it would definetly be a no-brainier. Due to those deficiencies there is pause for thought...

It gets compared to higher priced units because as it is there aren't too many options for high quality 8 channel adat expansion boxes.
we all have our priorities.

if i were starting from scratch today with some kind of budget i'd probably go with the SSL Alphalink w/ 24channels of ADAT.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I'm very comfortable with the 1/4" TRS input/outputs on the Ferrofish, actually is one of the things that I like most.

My concern now is quality sound and stability.
I'm almost sure to get an RME RayDat card and 24 or 32 channel of conversion.

But in the case that something like the Audiofire 12 comes up, with great stability and sound regarding the comments I found then I would be very pleased to change to firewire because the simplicity and the price.

Any comments on the audio quality of the Echo Audiofire 12? compared with what?

thanks!
Old 17th July 2014
Lives for gear

I had a RME ADI-8 DS MkI before my Audiofire12 (back in 2006 or 2007) and I liked the Audiofire12 better... more depth, smoother hi-end, didn't feel that much difference in the low end side...
I also had a RME Babyface and a ZED R16 at the same time as my trusty AF12... I still prefer the AF12 over those two.
But I do 95% rock and metal...
I was listening through Focals CMS-50 all the time...
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The thing is that I was very doubtful about the AF12 but I don't hear nothing but good comments about it.
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevil ➑️
we all have our priorities.

if i were starting from scratch today with some kind of budget i'd probably go with the SSL Alphalink w/ 24channels of ADAT.
Antelope Orion 32 for high channel counts, excellent sound and simple connectivity.

War
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead ➑️
Antelope Orion 32 for high channel counts, excellent sound and simple connectivity.
that's a nice looking unit.

Quote:
The thing is that I was very doubtful about the AF12 but I don't hear nothing but good comments about it.
My first soundcard was an Echo Darla w/ the black breakaway box (before they named it Gina). I made a record with it & was pretty happy with the results. I've known a couple people with Layla's they were happy with. i think Echo makes some decent gear for the price point, though people eventually tend to outgrow em.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
after talking with a friend engineer I've narrowed the search:

RME raydat + 2x. Ferrofish
MOTU 24io + PCIe-424
or keep the Zen Studio in the last place
Old 18th July 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
MOTU 24io + PCIe-424
I used to run a pair of those. The Ferrofish sounds nicer to my ears. I've not ABd them directly, but I did AB them with the RME that replaced them, and the Ferrofish with the RME further down the line.

The biggest win for Ferrofish (and Creamware) over the 24IO, though, is that the in and out jacks are offset from eachother, which means that there's enough space to accommodate decent (ie nice, chunky Neutrik) TRS jacks. I had to get new cables for the MOTU with inferior connectors because the sockets are so damned close together!

Don't think I'd be going to PCIe at this point in time, either.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
A decent variation on your option 1 would be...

RME MADIFace USB plus 2 x Ferrofish A16 Ultra Mk IIs with MADI option.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixedup ➑️
A decent variation on your option 1 would be...

RME MADIFace USB plus 2 x Ferrofish A16 Ultra Mk IIs with MADI option.
Completly agree,
actually I evaluated that option, but one of the reason why I'm choosing this solution is the PCIe integration and the very low latencies adressed with RME HDSPe, I prefer to not rely on USB.

Anyways, I will be getting the RME MADI FX in the near future if I feel the limitation of trackin in 48K or even upgrade to something like the recommendation of War of ZenProAudio, the SPL Madison that looks great.

best regards!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yeah, the MADIface XT is really nice. You get all the monitoring functions on it, which is handy. Nice little interface in its own right, but then you can dock it in your MADI converter setup back at the ranch. It's pricier though, which is why I didn't recommend it. I figure if you're going Ferrofish, then you're trying to cut costs β€”*not ridiculously so, as it's very decent for the cash, but I figured there had to be a reason you're not considering eg SSL, Rednet etc!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Yeah, to be honest,
I had a better budget 2 o 3 months ago, but then I felt very seduced by the Antelope Zen Studio, I've ordered one and spent the rest in other things.

Then the Zen was delayed and finally when released, got a considerable amount of users with issues (besides the sound that is the same as the Orion).

So, I had to change to something decent between $2.5-3K and the Raydat+Ferrofish seems to be something very good.

When I recompose myself in the near future, for sure I will go with something like RME Madi FX (not XT) + SPL Madison or Orion 32.
Old 24th July 2014 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Bump
Looking at this as well to pair with a UFX
Old 24th July 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Joelhume

Sort of in the same boat, but I have a UFX and a RayDat...interfacing between a PC w/ RayDat and a Mac w/ UFX;
been pondering the fish or an RME ADI-8 DS MKIII or even possibly the new Fireface 802. There are +/- for all three.

If you're looking for ultimate fidelity, the fish is not a contender, but if you're going for price as well as 16 channels, it's the best choice out there...
Old 24th July 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelhume ➑️
Bump
Looking at this as well to pair with a UFX
Hi there,
I didn't receive them yet, but all the comments that I got are very positive about the Ferrofish.

Recently were uploaded the values of the AudioDiffMaker test in the dedicated thread in this forum. Many people don't believe in that kind of tests, but the Ferrofish did it very well anyways, if you are interested in that.

I will probably end with the RME MADI + Orion32 but I'm sure that the Ferrofish integrated with other RME products it's a very recommendable option.
Old 26th July 2014 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Thanks for the reply guys. I am also looking at the RME adi-8 ds mkIII, but price is of some concern too. I need 16 I/O which would put me at 2 RME units.
Mainly needed for hardware integration while mixing since I just pulled out my anaog console.
Also just saw the ferrofish a-16 AE...Costs less and doesn't have the madi which I don't need.
Looks like a perfect unit for me as long as it doesn't sound bad.
I am also considering the Orion, but I'm pretty happy with the UFX.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelhume ➑️
Thanks for the reply guys. I am also looking at the RME adi-8 ds mkIII, but price is of some concern too. I need 16 I/O which would put me at 2 RME units.
Mainly needed for hardware integration while mixing since I just pulled out my anaog console.
Also just saw the ferrofish a-16 AE...Costs less and doesn't have the madi which I don't need.
Looks like a perfect unit for me as long as it doesn't sound bad.
I am also considering the Orion, but I'm pretty happy with the UFX.
In that case you have a lot of options, the Ferrofish with your UFX it's a great combination, you don't have to spend a lot of money and you can stay with your currently setup, and if you want to upgrade the conversion, instead of the Ferrofish you can go with an Aurora 8 or 16.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Hi, I'm going to buy a RME Fireface 802 just for the 12 analog inputs (I'm, planning to use 8/10 of 'em to plug in the Elektron Analog Keys) and probably I'll need other 8/10 inputs in the future for the Elektron Analog Rytm, so I was checking the Ferrofish too.
I saw also the RME ADI 8 DS MKIII, but it costs almost the double of the Ferrofish and it has half of the inputs.
Can u suggest me an alternative that costs max € 1300-1400?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcoaffamato ➑️
I saw also the RME ADI 8 DS MKIII, but it costs almost the double of the Ferrofish and it has half of the inputs.
Can u suggest me an alternative that costs max € 1300-1400?
If you 're going to use 96k, they're equivalent, as the ADI 8 DS MKIII let's you have 8 channels @ 96k just like the Ferrofish.

It's a tough call - the RME unit by all indication would sound superior, but the Ferrofish wins out on features (in addition to more i/o it has midi and madi)...
πŸ“ Reply