The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Hardware synth dead and dull, Virtual synth bright, crisp and alive?
Old 17th September 2012

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Hardware synth dead and dull, Virtual synth bright, crisp and alive?

Ok,

I have notice a big difference using my hardware synth and virtual instruments. My synth is a Yamaha MoTIF XS which is a high end synth and recording it to my DAW via preamp line input then to my interface. The sound comes out dull, dead and lack of life.

I use the same compositions but using all virtual instruments using the closest sound bank that I used from the hardware synth. Everything is bright, crisp and alive and so easy to mix and it sounds more commercial than my hardware synth. Even without using comp and EQ, heck its way more alive than my hardware synth.

Whats the deal? Those virtual instruments im guessing also comes from a hardware source that was recorded and made it to use in the virtual machine. Did the sound from the virtual machine went through some high end preamps and converters?

Also my plugins work better with the virtual machine. As of the audio recorded from the hardware synth, no matter how and pull up the high end freq, it still sounds dull like something is not working right.

If I pull up the high end freq of the sound from the virtual intrument, it sound more crispier like there is an extended frequency that is coming out.

Anybody have an idea on this?

will upgrading to a higher end preamp solve this problem?

Another thing:
If I make a music out from the virtual instruments and add another track coming from my hardware synth, you can tell that it comes from another source and it would not match up with the virtual instruments. The tone characteristic from hardware synth is different from virtual intruments, even using EQ and comp.
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
What audio interface do you use?

While it's true that romplers like Omnisphere or Nexis use Gbytes of samples compared to the Motif's Mbytes, my (ex) Motif XS always sounded overly bright.

Peter.
Old 18th September 2012

๐ŸŽง 10 years
My motif is connected to Digidesign PRE line input and its output is connected to Digidesign 96 IO Interface.
๐Ÿ“ Reply