Quantcast
RCS 77 vs RCA 44 on Vocals - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
RCS 77 vs RCA 44 on Vocals
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
RCS 77 vs RCA 44 on Vocals

How would you describe the sound of each of these mics on Vocals?
Old 17th September 2012
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

🎧 15 years
Can't get more "vintage"/smooth sounding than these two classic ribbons microphones. Plenty of iconic recordings done with each you can reserch to tell for yourself.

Chris
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Thanks.

but how do the two differ from one another?
Old 17th September 2012
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

🎧 15 years
IMHO they're similar, but the 44 (other things equal) sounds thicker-especially up close. Keep in mind I've only sung through a friend's D77 and
the AEA 44 (exact reproduction) a few times.

Chris
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
If you don't own either and you want an original, I'd go for the 77. They sound very similar, but the 77 will be cheaper and, because it's smaller, a bit easier to deal with stand-wise. Smaller is also better if you're thinking of using it in photos or videos -- check out Taylor Swift's Grammy performance of "Mean" where she's on a 44 and she keeps having to lunge out from behind it so you can see her.

Late add: I was wrong. She's on a Shure Elvis mic. It's definitely smaller than a 44, but she's still careening all over the place to get herself out from behind it whenever possible.

Last edited by Brent Hahn; 17th September 2012 at 06:41 PM.. Reason: OOOPS.
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Difficult to say...depends on your aesthetic, the upkeep of the mics, recording conditions, etc.

But the sound of the 44BX is the one most every new ribbon maker compares their new design to, so it stands to reason there's probably something to that. IMHO, the 44 is somewhat more of a surer bet, because though the 77 can be a great mic, its interaction with individual voices seems to me a little more hit and miss. And even in a tepid economy the 44 maintains its value as well as most anything else high end.

You might just consider trying a good condition 44BX before trying other things, as it will give you a baseline for quality, and too, you don't want to have that nagging feeling that you "settled" when there was something out there that would have suited you better.

Of course, in the end it's all about what works for your situation and what makes you happy. Good luck in your search.

Old 18th September 2012
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

🎧 15 years
On a budget (under $400), the closest mic I know to a 77, is the EV 666.

Which oddly enough was precisely designed by EV to emulate a 77's kind of tone.

AFAIK Electro-Voice, however, no longer services the 666, although I'd be happy to be corrected.

Not knowledgable enough to comment on the budget ribbon mic mods, by the usual reputable suspects like Michael Joly, and JJ Audio.

Chris

P.S. The EV 666 (the die wore out!) was later replaced by the RE20.
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Just of curiosity...these vintage mics for hip hop vocals??
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Get yourself a Golden Age Projects R1 Mk II and a Cloudlifter for a total cost of
$ 328.00 plus tax
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
IMO, other than collectors wanting them, there are better mics that do just the same for a lot less money.

If you want one, go ahead and get one. These type of questions are so dependent of the ability of the engineer to know how to use one.
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Use to own a 77D that Clarence Kane redid for me.... beautiful to look at, but always sounded a little odd on most things -- somehow not altogether natural. Was AMAZING on harmonica, though. The pattern select (which moved a nautilus-shaped piece of metal around the backside of the ribbon) always made things weirder, frequency wise -- sounded best in figure 8.

44 sounds better, smoother to me, but very dark. Never cared for it much without some really quality eq to make it stand out a bit more, but maybe it was just the one I had access to that sounded that way.

FWIW I have RCA BK-5B and Coles 4038 now and dig them both, tremendously. The RCA is edgier than the very smooth Coles, but both sound great on lots of things.

Joel
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I have both a 77D and a 44BX. They are both super useful on a wide variety of sources, but are not going to get picked for vocals very often, mainly due to contemporary expectations about vocal sounds.

If I could only keep one it would be the 44BX, but the 77 with pattern control (changes timbre a lot!), along with the generic "tunability" of ribbons via positioning, is ultra flexible. So, do you want one magical sound (44) or a more adaptable, if less dramatically magical mic like the 77?
Old 18th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AposL ➑️
Just of curiosity...these vintage mics for hip hop vocals??
Emphatic "no".

And Chris, why are you even in this thread talking EV mics and your fantasies of owning a nice mic someday? Your opinion of your own voice going thru a repro mic once, wow ...... Is anyone ready to make a decision now?
Old 19th September 2012
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

🎧 15 years
Hi Bobby (phillysoulman), nice to see you "back" at GS again.
If someone like yourself makes a suggestion IMHO that's worth some serious consideration.

Danny, that 77/666 relationship in both the somewhat similar tone, and EV's attempt to compete with RCA, is well documented.
"Few times" was meant in the context of several get togethers, spent quite some time on each microphone actually to better shoot them out. I also slightly prefer the 44's tone.

Don't mean to bug anybody by my ramblings, but if I saw a 44 waiting to sing into, that's pretty darn inspirational!

Chris
Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov ➑️
Hi Bobby (phillysoulman), nice to see you "back" at GS again.
If someone like yourself makes a suggestion IMHO that's worth some serious consideration.

Danny, that 77/666 relationship in both the somewhat similar tone, and EV's attempt to compete with RCA, is well documented.
"Few times" was meant in the context of several get togethers, spent quite some time on each microphone actually to better shoot them out. I also slightly prefer the 44's tone.

Chris
If I squint real hard I could pretend this pertains to something. Something like EV wanting a lucrative market RCA abandoned in the seventies, and RCA distributing EV mics to their remaining customers so they'd have something to sell. One is hardly a sub for the other in a studio context. But at least the OP knows which one to use if he records you
Old 20th September 2012
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

🎧 15 years
Danny, it only matters to those open to learning through sharing info, so best of luck with your recording endeavors-I'm out of here...

Chris
πŸ“ Reply