Quantcast
Mackie 32.8 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mackie 32.8
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Mackie 32.8

I have an opportunity to trade some tools for a mackie 32.8, With a full meter bridge and a flight case, he says the left bus is scratchy? He's asking $500.00 or trade for my tools. I don't use my tools, so is this worth what he's askin? Is the scratchy left bus an easy fix? He said it probably needs a good cleaning....
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I would do it in a heartbeat if I needed a mixer. I had one for years back in the day. Great memories. I'll bet you could take care of the scratchy part with a bit of Caig Deoxit
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
That's a pretty good price. There is one with meter bridge on my local Craigslist for that price. I think it had a scratchy master channel too. Maybe you are in my town.

Scratchy is usually easy to fix.
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I do have a soundcraft lx7 16 channel board I really like , but I am a gear*****, I figured I'd try the mackie, see which one works better for me, then maybe trade up one or the other for more gear. I'm in Vancouver BC.
Thanks for the input
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I just retired my 24*8 after almost 20 years. Never liked the EQ's, but it never had a problem until the last year or so when 2 channels started to drop out. Before you make the deal you should check with a local shop to find out what it takes if it's more than a little dirt in the slider. None of the pots ever needed cleaning on mine, but 2 sliders failed - almost as if they were breaking down inside. From what I understand it's quite a bitch to tear one down to replace pots - it's worth knowing what you're in for if it's worse case scenario.
Old 17th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeitloud ➑️
I'm in Vancouver BC.
Bingo. Same one.
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I did a tear down on my 16 channel soundcraft, so I know what yer saying, it is a bitch, but it was worth it. I only paid $50.00 for it.
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Small world
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Guru

10 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Many fond memories working on a 32-8... not the greatest board in the world, but it was a game changer in it's time. mine was a mostly used as a dynamic patch bay... I mixed mostly ITB but summed through the 8 channels to the mix buss for final stereo mixes to DAT.
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I have an opportunity to trade some tools for a mackie 32.8, With a full meter bridge and a flight case, he says the left bus is scratchy? He's asking $500.00 or trade for my tools. I don't use my tools, so is this worth what he's askin? Is the scratchy left bus an easy fix? He said it probably needs a good cleaning....
I sum everything through my 248 ..never use the eqs

Sent from my PG86100 using Gearslutz App
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
We had one at church for live sound, when the gain pots got scratchy talked to the local pro sound shop about fixing. Their estimate for taking the thing apart, cleaning it and putting it back together was around 20 hours, because you have to take off every damn knob and pot nut/washer! If you've got the time, go for it (although we still have the one from the church and you can have it for less than $500 if you come and pick it up in Wisconsin!).

My guess is that the Soundcraft is a much better mixer. Our Mackie just didn't have the clarity or the headroom of the 3400 series Allen and Heath we replaced it with.
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Well I did the trade, my $150.00 router and bits, for this massive console, so far everything works great! Need to spend some more time with it but im pretty friggin happy, the metering bridge is way cool!
Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
That is an all time score!
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
As far as buying an old Mackie 8 goes, it really comes down to the condition. An entire left bus being scratchy sounds like a problem which would have to be fixed. If a channel fader goes bad, you can just bypass than channel, but you can't bypass the whole left bus unless you want to record in mono. The $500 price sounds good but if it costs you another $500 (and the hassle) of having to fix it, it might not be worth it if you could find one in better condition for $1,000. Condition can vary a lot with these. Some come from home studios where they saw very little use and are like new. Some are absolutely beat to hell from 20 years of daily use in some grimy club. It's worth paying more for one in good condition.

I am a long time user of a Mackie 8 bus and I have owned the similar Soundcraft Studio 24 channel mixer. The Mackie 8 bus is a pretty good line level summing mixer. That's all I ever use it for. It's clean and probably better than most people here think, but it's not slutty. However, I don't like the eq's at all and the mic pres are OK but nothing special. The Soundcraft is a little warmer sounding (but not as clear as the Mackie) with better (but still not great) eq's and mic pres which are about the same as the Mackie. The problem I had with the Soundcraft was the crappy power supply that comes with it. After I had 3 Soundcraft power supplies go bad on me, I got mad and dumped the Soundcraft. The Mackie has a MUCH better, more heavy duty, power supply which has never caused me a problem. In good condition, a Mackie 8 bus is well worth having if you want to avoid In the Box mixing. It will be clean and will add a bit of heft. You could easily pay many thousands for a dedicated summing box/mixer and find that it sounds no better than a Mackie 8 bus used for that purpose. I've tried a couple and thought the Mackie was just as good.
Old 22nd September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Well, I've been using the mackie, the first day I had it on just playing music through it for about 10 hours, no problems. The next day another 10 hours, then the scratchy sound came for about 30 seconds and then went away, haven't heard it since, it didn't sound like it was on the left or right buss because I panned left and right and it didn't make a difference, it did go away as fast as it came, so I didn't have enough time to figure out where it was coming from. the EQ isn't as bad as I thought, my soundcraft EQ's are a lot warmer, Overall I think the trade for my $200.00 router and bits that I didn't use was worth it.
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
...Overall I think the trade for my $200.00 router and bits that I didn't use was worth it.
Awesome, sounds like you got a good deal. Wouldn't have hesitated to do it myself. Enjoy!
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmikeperkins ➑️
As far as buying an old Mackie 8 goes, it really comes down to the condition. An entire left bus being scratchy sounds like a problem which would have to be fixed. If a channel fader goes bad, you can just bypass than channel, but you can't bypass the whole left bus unless you want to record in mono. The $500 price sounds good but if it costs you another $500 (and the hassle) of having to fix it, it might not be worth it if you could find one in better condition for $1,000. Condition can vary a lot with these. Some come from home studios where they saw very little use and are like new. Some are absolutely beat to hell from 20 years of daily use in some grimy club. It's worth paying more for one in good condition.

I am a long time user of a Mackie 8 bus and I have owned the similar Soundcraft Studio 24 channel mixer. The Mackie 8 bus is a pretty good line level summing mixer. That's all I ever use it for. It's clean and probably better than most people here think, but it's not slutty. However, I don't like the eq's at all and the mic pres are OK but nothing special. The Soundcraft is a little warmer sounding (but not as clear as the Mackie) with better (but still not great) eq's and mic pres which are about the same as the Mackie. The problem I had with the Soundcraft was the crappy power supply that comes with it. After I had 3 Soundcraft power supplies go bad on me, I got mad and dumped the Soundcraft. The Mackie has a MUCH better, more heavy duty, power supply which has never caused me a problem. In good condition, a Mackie 8 bus is well worth having if you want to avoid In the Box mixing. It will be clean and will add a bit of heft. You could easily pay many thousands for a dedicated summing box/mixer and find that it sounds no better than a Mackie 8 bus used for that purpose. I've tried a couple and thought the Mackie was just as good.
+1

Sent from my PG86100 using Gearslutz App
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I had a 32.8 that had too many mix buss issues for recording,but the local shop (in Prince George BC )went through it and had to do some work on the ribbon cable connections,then sold it as a live board.I still have the 24 ch side car,cables and power supply kicking around.I think the fact that yours has a flight case for it,says alot about how it has been treated.I do like the Air EQ feature.
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
[...], then the scratchy sound came for about 30 seconds and then went away, haven't heard it since, it didn't sound like it was on the left or right buss because I panned left and right and it didn't make a difference, it did go away as fast as it came, so I didn't have enough time to figure out where it was coming from[...]
Oh, I thought it was scratchy when you moved the fader. If it just comes and goes without provocation....bad FET, cap? Loose ribbon connector? Curious.
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Did some more cleaning on the board today, tried every channel, works perfect, no scratchy sounds, 5 or 6 hours use, hooked up my 4-track recorder, my 12 year old prodigy guitar playin son and I layed down some tracks, so much fun!!!
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Great find. I bought a 32-8 at a going out of business sale, had to have the ribbon cables replaced (under warranty) because there was a 2 year production period where they used inferior cables that were crapping out and causing dropouts and scratchy noise as you mentioned. Been a solid desk ever since, done many albums and demos with it. Enjoy.
Old 30th June 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
glad

After burning my brain looking for a summing solution for the Antelope Orion I came across this thread. I loved what all you guys said here. Im going to find one and buy one

I wonder why Mackie doesn't make them anymore, any thoughts about this?

There's a very cool vibe with this form factor studio mixers with meter bridges that brands seem not to care. There's only the Allen & Heath for $9000 in the market with the same form factor.
Isn't any room for small studios in the business nowadays? I don't get it.

A question for the users of this mixer, can we bypass the EQ on the channel strip?

Thanks!
Old 30th June 2013
Lives for gear

9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joaohugo ➑️

A question for the users of this mixer, can we bypass the EQ on the channel strip?
Keep the EQ flat.
Old 30th June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I got many years of good service out of my 3208 paired with a pro-tools III system. In a lot of ways a very underrated board. But service issues can be challenging which is it's Achilles Heel...
Old 1st July 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
After burning my brain looking for a summing solution for the Antelope Orion I came across this thread. I loved what all you guys said here. Im going to find one and buy one

I wonder why Mackie doesn't make them anymore, any thoughts about this?

There's a very cool vibe with this form factor studio mixers with meter bridges that brands seem not to care. There's only the Allen & Heath for $9000 in the market with the same form factor.
Isn't any room for small studios in the business nowadays? I don't get it.

Thanks!
That's how I'm set up. I've been using the 32-8 for ten years now with few issues. In January I moved from an old hard disk recorder to the Antelope Orion interfacing to Pro Tools and/or Reaper. I'm very happy with the rig and workflow. I've found the EQ usable. You just have to twist the snot out of the knobs and learn where it works and where it doesn't.
Old 2nd July 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Thanks!
There are eq bypass buttons for every channel. I agree with the opinions here. Skip the EQ, but the pre's are good enough for non-critical stuff. About the only thing I use the pre's for anymore are bottom tom heads.
Old 3rd July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
At the price they are definitely sleeper units. Most Mackie gear, the older stuff, fits that description.

Like others have said, service is a royal PITA. It's not rocket science but it takes a LOT of patience, good organization skills and time. Lot's of time.

I've replaced the ribbon cables in both the 8 bus and 4 bus Mackie boards and it's extremely time consuming.

On the plus side, they are built like tanks and other than the usual dirty faders or basic PSU failures they don't break much.
Old 3rd July 2013
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by river ➑️
Great find. I bought a 32-8 at a going out of business sale, had to have the ribbon cables replaced (under warranty) because there was a 2 year production period where they used inferior cables that were crapping out and causing dropouts and scratchy noise as you mentioned. Been a solid desk ever since, done many albums and demos with it. Enjoy.
My SR40/8 was the same way, needed all the ribbon cables replaced, 32-8 is built the same way. The master section could turn into a big deal, scratchy is one thing, dropouts is ribbon cables..
Old 3rd July 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrymetalguy ➑️
My SR40/8 was the same way, needed all the ribbon cables replaced, 32-8 is built the same way. The master section could turn into a big deal, scratchy is one thing, dropouts is ribbon cables..
What's even more insidious is dropouts where you goose the fader up, thus supplying more signal to the bus and the sound comes back, is the classic sign of bad ribbon cables in my experience.

It's almost like a dirty fader/pot without the scratchy noise.

I've only done 2 units but both behaved the same way. Both were in the bus section BTW.
The proper fix is to replace all the ribbon cables.
Mackie sent me mine for free and even helped me over the phone with questions I had.

This was pre China Mackie though so I wouldn't hold my breath these days.
Old 3rd July 2013
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Couple of issues with these:

1. If you DO have to break it down for repair, you have to remove every knob and nut from every pot to get at the electronics. A major pain, we bought ours for $1k, used it for 5 years in church but when it started to give us trouble we found it would cost $1k to clean and none of us have the time. We gave it away in the end...

2. The overall mix buss doesn't have the overhead or the transparency of the Allen and Heath 3400 series we replaced it with. It was an easily noticed improvement in sound.

For a studio on a budget it could be a game changer, but if you don't really need 32 channels, there are other boards for the same basic price I might look into (local GC sold a 32 channel Soundcraft Ghost for $1k recently, I got my Midas Venice 320 for $1.2k).
πŸ“ Reply