Quantcast
EV RE20 vs Sennheiser 421 on Bass Drum - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
EV RE20 vs Sennheiser 421 on Bass Drum
Old 16th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
EV RE20 vs Sennheiser 421 on Bass Drum

What are your thoughts on using these on miking a Bass Drum?
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I use the re-20 and think it's great. By design it has little proximity effect. That could be ideal or frustrating depending on how you work, hear things. It also has minimal sibilance. So it you have a sibilant bass drum, reach for the RE-20.
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
421 with a nice fet LDC outside is a really great sound. I was never excited about my PL20 (same as RE20) on BD. I haven't used it in years because it needs repair...
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The RE20 is basically the only microphone I use on the resonant head of a bass drum, unless I'm working in a studio that has a Neumann U47fet. The RE20 will give you an accurate sample of what the bass drum sounds like without all the proximity effects of most cardioid pattern microphones. They are clean, punchy and very accurate as a bass drum microphone.

Dennis
Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Very Glyn John's placement there, Dennis. It makes me want to get my PL20 working again.
Old 24th October 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Out of those two mics I'd pick RE20 but I prefer D112.
Old 24th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I like the re20 because that's what the drum actually sounds like. If you want a boomy/clickety bass drum sound you can get it with an eq, or have a natural sound.
Old 24th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm an RE20 guy.
Old 24th October 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I don't mean to shamelessly promote, but this seems perfectly relevant. I recently did a demo of a bunch of kick mics, including my RE20 and 421. You can watch it here:

For me, 421 when I need a decent amount of high end presence/click, RE20 as more of a blank slate to carve from. I use the RE20 most often, though lately I've been working with the Beta 52 a bit too.
Old 24th October 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
The RE-20 is my go-to Kick In for Jazz, and sometimes country sessions. It's really a YMMV situation depending upon how the drums sound too.

Rock and the like, I usually A/B the Audix D6 and the D112.
Old 14th November 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I like RE20 or D112, and sometimes I like to use both of them. At times I like to put the RE20 a bit inside and the D112 outside, and mesh them together.
Old 14th November 2012
Lives for gear

26 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
The 421 will add something to the sound, good for when that is needed. Not a bad choice to get the proverbial "punchy" sound.
If the drum already sounds great, the RE20 is more accurate and true-to-life. More of a "blank slate" as was stated in an earlier post.
Old 14th November 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by edva ➑️
...the RE20 is more accurate and true-to-life. More of a "blank slate" as was stated in an earlier post.
Why I prefer it. If there's room for placement, I like it on the beater side for the most natural sound, with some punch.
Old 14th November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgimbel ➑️
I don't mean to shamelessly promote, but this seems perfectly relevant. I recently did a demo of a bunch of kick mics, including my RE20 and 421. You can watch it here:

For me, 421 when I need a decent amount of high end presence/click, RE20 as more of a blank slate to carve from. I use the RE20 most often, though lately I've been working with the Beta 52 a bit too.
This is a very cool video. Thanks for posting it. Having watched it a couple of times it reinforced to me why I have so gone off the sound of the D112 in recent years. Me no like it. I have never tried an Audix D6 before, but going by the sound in your video it did not appeal to me at all. I have used Senn 602 and Shure 52, and for live gigs they are both pretty good choices..but for studio recording, from experience and reinforced again in your video too.....both the MD421 and the RE20 give the type of sounds I like. I think while they both sound very different, I like them both. The choice of which one of these would likely boil down to the drum be captured, and the type of song being recorded.
Old 15th November 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:

very helpful indeed - thanks for taking the time to do this demo
Old 15th November 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksure ➑️
This is a very cool video. Thanks for posting it. Having watched it a couple of times it reinforced to me why I have so gone off the sound of the D112 in recent years. Me no like it. I have never tried an Audix D6 before, but going by the sound in your video it did not appeal to me at all. I have used Senn 602 and Shure 52, and for live gigs they are both pretty good choices..but for studio recording, from experience and reinforced again in your video too.....both the MD421 and the RE20 give the type of sounds I like. I think while they both sound very different, I like them both. The choice of which one of these would likely boil down to the drum be captured, and the type of song being recorded.
You and I are on the same page, buddy. The D112 was my first "real kick mic", and compared to the terrible "drum kit mics" I had before, it was worlds better, and I really liked it for a while. Once I finally started really learning to control sounds and get things sounding how I wanted as early in the process as possible I found myself EQing the D112 quite a bit and still not being totally in love with the results. When I got an SM7b I used it on kick and loved it because I could dip low mids out where I wanted rather than it being in a fixed spot. Sometimes it would be a little soft though. The RE20 was the same idea but seemed to have more impact, but still that great "carvability" - I still love it on kick. The Beta 52 and 421 are somewhat similar in a kick to my ears, they both boost high end but not in a terribly unnatural way, and don't have much of a low end boost. Great for a nice, clear kick that's pretty natural but present. The Audix in this video was borrowed, as was the e602. A band tracked here while I had the Audix and it seemed to work with their stuff so I used it for their whole EP. Sounded nice for tracking, but when it came time for mixing I found myself trying to correct a lot of the things that make that mic what it is. The low end boost is very prominent and in some cases higher up in the frequency range than I wanted it. The "click" sound from it is nice in that it's there in the right amount to my ear, but still I found the mic kind of limiting. It sounded like a nice processed kick, but a kick processed for songs other than what I was currently working on. The e602 had a kind of similar sound, but I didn't find its boosts quite as intrusive, and between the two I'd probably like to pick up an e602. However, I'd be happy with just having an RE20 and MD421 (or Beta 52), and like you said, it just ends up depending on the drum you're recording and the type of music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turing ➑️
very helpful indeed - thanks for taking the time to do this demo
You're very welcome, glad to be of some service! I've got a handful of videos up there - demos like this, bands tracking here, etc. - if you (or anyone else!) want to check them out.
Old 7th February 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

VERY interesting.

The Audix mics are comical.

The SURE mics......blaaahhhh

I really liked the RE20 and the 421....also the SM7b.....let me go back and compare those three.
Old 7th February 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Great demo,

Thank you for the video, but a little advice for the future......recording, gear demos, playing live....especially anything that involves recording, in particular, if you are trying to showcase an aspect of the drums. Or drum sound...

....lay off the cymbals. Seriously, cymbals are pretty awful in the hands of 99% of drummers who don't realize they are playing two completely different instruments at the same time.

I often think drummers should need a "license" to use cymbals, like driving,

Try and use them NEVER if possible, especially in a gear demo, in recording hit them half as hard as you think they should be hit, just tap them, and always try NOT to use them.....if there is ANY other way to achieve the feel you want, do THAT instead.

HH's are in between, indispensable but still a different instrument, play lighter....and then even lighter than that, when you listen back to a take make the problem "I can't hear the HH" (Because that is beyond easy to remedy) not "Uh oh...Too much hat in the other mics" now your whole recording sounds bad.

Treat cymbals like something that offends you, because for the rest of the world? There's no need to pretend.
Old 7th February 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Honestly I'd use an RE20 over a 421 for pretty much everything where the size isn't an issue.

The 441, though, that's another story. Best dynamic mic out there.

I EQ the hell out of kick drums anyway, so as long as the low frequencies are there I don't mind that much. But the RE20 will give you a far more accurate and natural sound to start from.
πŸ“ Reply