Quantcast
DIY u47 CLONE mic shoot-out using API Clone and NEVE 1073 Clone - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DIY u47 CLONE mic shoot-out using API Clone and NEVE 1073 Clone
Old 16th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
DIY u47 CLONE mic shoot-out using API Clone and NEVE 1073 Clone

Hey there, just thought id put this up encase somebody might be interested. I decided to do a shoot out between 3 mics...

A Rode NT2a
An SE Electronics Gemini
and a u47 Clone.. (MK47 using Beesneez Capsule)

I also tested them in different DIY preamps.. an API clone and a NEVE 1073 Clone (ez1290 DIY KIT)

I have left them nameless for the time been for the fun of it to see if people can guess which is which!!

These recording are just dry, no eq or compression.. I just matched up the levels as best I could..

Apologies for the back round noise, i recorded them very quickly in my bedroom!

Would love to know your thoughts on the Mics and which one ye think sounds best etc..

Enjoy!
Attached Files

Pre A Mic 1.wav (1.64 MB, 1446 views)

Pre B Mic 1.wav (1.91 MB, 1245 views)

Pre A Mic 2.wav (1.98 MB, 1258 views)

Pre B Mic 2.wav (1.94 MB, 1144 views)

Pre A Mic 3.wav (1.81 MB, 1235 views)

Pre B Mic 3.wav (1.85 MB, 1151 views)

Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Listened on headphones. First impressions:

I don't like Mic 2. Sibilant and weirdly resonant.
Mic 3 is noisiest (or maybe you recorded with it during the noisiest period of the three mics?), but there's good detail.
Mic 1 sounds good.

What body is your MK47 in?
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
thats very interesting.. they are all recorded at d same time, as in noise leve in room would not have changed between takes. Its an mk47 clone in a tbone sct.. want to change this for an EQU47 once they go on sale again.
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It will be interesting to hear the effect of the body and headbasket.

I listened on my monitors and confirmed what I was hearing earlier on headphones.

Preference: Mic 1, Mic 3, Mic 2
Mic 1 is the most natural. Mic 2 is harsh. Mic 3 has a lot of air/detail/dimension to it.
I'm guessing mic 1 is Gemini, 2 is Rode, and 3 is MK47 (only because it's the noisiest and that's a DIY project haha). PM me and let me know the results!
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Definitely interested to listen to this when I'm at home. I did a Mk47 with beesneez m7 capsule comparison against a rode K2 and a U87. Did you burn in the MK47 first? It will definitely smooth itself out over weeks or even months depending on frequency of use.
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
thats cool, do u still have the shootout of those mics? wat body did u use for the mk47? no didnt burn it in... how do u do that? just leave it on is it?
Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
i just pm'd u the results Melodeath
Old 25th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by leitrim_lad ➑️
thats cool, do u still have the shootout of those mics? wat body did u use for the mk47? no didnt burn it in... how do u do that? just leave it on is it?
yeah i think I've still got the files I will have a look. Also I made an error above I used the k7 capsule not the newer m7 capsule although i would be intrigued to hear the latter its at an introductory price of 330 AUD at the moment. For burn in I understand its better and safer to put some signal through it. I just left a radio running in front of it while on for a couple of days. Others have told me high SPL like drum kit recording is even better but I don't know. I used the equinox body.

I also replaced the output capacitor with an auricap I had lying around. Auricaps and mundorfs of that size aren't that expensive so can be worth trying out although you need them to burn in a bit as well to appreciate them.
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
OK hope the uploading worked. I have lost the cardiod recordings but still have all the mics in omni. They are therefore a bit thinner than I would normally like a vocal recording but still give a good idea of the tonal differences relatively. The four recordings are the DIY U47 with a microphone parts RK47 capsule, the same mic with a beesneez k7 capsule, a Rode K2 and a current model Neumann U87. Please note this is an unscientific test I did for my own comparative purposes and the levels are only roughly matched. From memory I used a Great River MP2NV pre.
Attached Files

mic1.wav (1.43 MB, 1026 views)

mic2.wav (1.43 MB, 1017 views)

mic3.wav (1.43 MB, 946 views)

mic4.wav (1.43 MB, 1064 views)

Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
mickdundee63, are the mics in the order you stated, or is this a blind test?
Old 25th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

16 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
[QUOTE=Melodeath;8277494
I don't like Mic 2. Sibilant and weirdly resonant.
Mic 3 is noisiest (or maybe you recorded with it during the noisiest period of the three mics?), but there's good detail.
Mic 1 sounds good.
QUOTE]

+1 - I liked Mic 1 best by far, then 3, then 2
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Here's another clip of the DIY U47 soloed and unprocessed and the same sample in the context of the song. @melodeath the files are in random order so you can blind test if you want to.
Attached Files

MK47unprocessed.wav (5.58 MB, 1087 views)

MK47processed.wav (3.47 MB, 1028 views)

Old 26th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Cheers for the samples..ill take a close listen when i get home at the weekend.. I used the diy u47 in the first session during the week and i have to say it sounded amazing in the mix compared to the two other mics.. just seemed to take its place perfectly in the mix whereas the other 2 mics didnt seem to as much. although it could have just suited the singer more

In my mic test for anyone interested
Mic 1 was the cheapest mic, the rode NT2a
Mic 2 was the DIY U47
Mic 3 was the Se Electronics Gemini
Old 26th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Ill do more comparisons next week in the live room away from all the noise with all mics at the same time and this might give a better representation
Old 26th September 2012 | Show parent
Deleted f25ebd2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickdundee63 ➑️
OK hope the uploading worked. I have lost the cardiod recordings but still have all the mics in omni. They are therefore a bit thinner than I would normally like a vocal recording but still give a good idea of the tonal differences relatively. The four recordings are the DIY U47 with a microphone parts RK47 capsule, the same mic with a beesneez k7 capsule, a Rode K2 and a current model Neumann U87. Please note this is an unscientific test I did for my own comparative purposes and the levels are only roughly matched. From memory I used a Great River MP2NV pre.
On this clip, I think I like #3 the best, but based on the other clip, I'm guessing #2 is the MK47. Is #3 the u87?
Old 26th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Not sure Prontold will check the key when I get home. Leitrim Lad I noticed a similar thing to you. The MK47 was more "opaque" then my Rode K2 I guess I would say on first listen, it didn't feel as open but I think that's the legacy of the mid-forward sound. I too found it sat better in a mix but also it took processing a lot better. Throw a few plugs on it and the MK47 maintained its smoothness and class whereas the K2 started to get a bit brittle.

Or maybe I'm also trying to justify all the effort I spent wrestling those parts together
Old 26th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted f25ebd2 ➑️
On this clip, I think I like #3 the best, but based on the other clip, I'm guessing #2 is the MK47. Is #3 the u87?
I PMd you in case anyone else is interested in listening blind.
Old 9th March 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Preamps???

Which preamp is which? I'm looking at building a ez1290, what are your thoughts and experience with the quality?

Thanks - Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by leitrim_lad ➑️
Hey there, just thought id put this up encase somebody might be interested. I decided to do a shoot out between 3 mics...

A Rode NT2a
An SE Electronics Gemini
and a u47 Clone.. (MK47 using Beesneez Capsule)

I also tested them in different DIY preamps.. an API clone and a NEVE 1073 Clone (ez1290 DIY KIT)

I have left them nameless for the time been for the fun of it to see if people can guess which is which!!

These recording are just dry, no eq or compression.. I just matched up the levels as best I could..

Apologies for the back round noise, i recorded them very quickly in my bedroom!

Would love to know your thoughts on the Mics and which one ye think sounds best etc..

Enjoy!
πŸ“ Reply