Quantcast
"Standard" dimensions for a "small room" vs. "medium room"? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
"Standard" dimensions for a "small room" vs. "medium room"?
Old 16th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
"Standard" dimensions for a "small room" vs. "medium room"?

I'm in the process of buying new monitors and a lot of what I read on here and elsewhere is "those will work in a small room" or "those are too small to work in a medium sized room"

My control room is 14x15x9. Is this considered small or medium?

Thanks.
Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indellable ➡️
I'm in the process of buying new monitors and a lot of what I read on here and elsewhere is "those will work in a small room" or "those are too small to work in a medium sized room"

Thanks.
Here's what I've come to understand:

Small < 300 sq ft
Medium = 300-425 sq ft
Large = 425-600 sq ft
Huge = 600+ sq ft

At Manifold Recording, our Main control room (475 sq ft) has a depth of 22.6' and is designed (and measured) to be flat down to 24Hz. Our Annex control room (430 sq ft) is slightly less depth, but also non-soffit mounted speakers, so the design point (also measured) is 26Hz. Both have enormous amounts of bass trapping, and highly optimized diffusion.

The size of a control room is thus not only about the amount of gear or the number of people it can hold, but also the range of accurate sound reproduction. Size plays an important role in this regard.
Old 16th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indellable ➡️
That is a small room...
also the width/length dimensions are very close (14' & 15')... might be problematic in monitoring lower frequencies.
My advice would be... focus on resolving your control room acoustics before investing in on good monitors.
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Much appreciated. This helps a good deal. Should have mentioned that my room is treated with 2x2x4 absorption panels, bass traps, ceiling cloud, etc. I've had it tested and its about as good accoustically as I can get (bang for the buck-wise) at the moment. You can always spend more ya know? Venturing into building a diffuser soon.

I've always used 8" woofers and never felt they were "too big" for my space. When looking into some of the smaller Dynaudios (BM5a mki or ii) I read a lot about size of room so it got me thinking. Thanks for the straight forward responses.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…