Quantcast
Maschine vs Maschine Mk2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Maschine vs Maschine Mk2
Old 16th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Maschine vs Maschine Mk2

So... I was going to buy a novation 25sl mkii and a maschine groove studio when I learned that a Maschine MkII was coming out on the first of October. So I naturally thought I would order the Maschine 2 but it is $200 more expensive... Now I'm thinking is it worth the investment or should I just stick with the cheaper Maschine. Any thoughts?
Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sangyoo91 ➡️
So... I was going to buy a novation 25sl mkii and a maschine groove studio when I learned that a Maschine MkII was coming out on the first of October. So I naturally thought I would order the Maschine 2 but it is $200 more expensive... Now I'm thinking is it worth the investment or should I just stick with the cheaper Maschine. Any thoughts?
I am on the fence here too. My concern getting the older Maschine is that it won't integrate with updates of Komplete libraries moving forward.
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I have the "old" maschine. and to be honest, I would def NOT pay 200$ extra for the new features. if you dont really need the features I wouldnt pay for them.
my experience has shown that maschine is a straight forward piece of gear that is highly superior without colored pads and such.

but, I also have to say that my approach with it is very "basic". I sequence sounds with it, sometimes put some effects on them. sometimes first in standalone, but in the end I always use it as a vst in cubase and route to seperate channels.

there is no feature the new one offers I am missing or would need.
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The software update makes them sort of the same but there are a few hardware differences that are appealing to some.

New backlit multicolored pads provide advanced visual orientation, and the pads have also been updated for increased sensitivity. Re-designed displays provide a wider viewing angle for increased clarity, and the surface layout has been refined with the addition of a master push-encoder and new buttons with a click action.

The new MASCHINE generation introduces optional accessories. Owners of the new flagship MASCHINE can customize their hardware with a choice of CUSTOM KITS– interchangeable faceplates and knobs in five color schemes. Applying the new magnetic faceplate is easy and takes only a few seconds – no additional tools are required
Old 17th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreChris ➡️
My concern getting the older Maschine is that it won't integrate with updates of Komplete libraries moving forward.
No need for such concern, especially as NI said "it’s important to note that current compatibility with the existing controllers will always remain an important focus for us". The only difference is on the hardware and the differences are very minor. The only major difference on the MKII is the color pads and the changes in the master controls.
Old 17th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketz ➡️
No need for such concern, especially as NI said "it’s important to note that current compatibility with the existing controllers will always remain an important focus for us". The only difference is on the hardware and the differences are very minor. The only major difference on the MKII is the color pads and the changes in the master controls.
Thank you, Ill get the original one. I actually think the new colored one looks a little bit "tele tubby".
Old 18th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I'm still on the fence.. God damn consumerism...!
Old 18th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I'm still on the fence.. God damn consumerism...!
Well this might help you decide. From what I've seen so far...

- the "MPC" Ren still requires you to use the mouse for a lot of things. It's nowhere near Maschine in terms of Maschine's hands-on workflow from just the hardware. It's hard to do anything but the most basic functions with the Ren controller's built in screen alone. I can do just about anything on Maschine's hardware with my laptop closed. You can't even nudge notes from the Ren's hardware and you can't open/close instrument plugin windows from the hardware (Maschine can open/close any plugin window just from the hardware)

- you have to stop the Ren's sequencer to do things like loading samples

- no 64bit support

- it doesn't receive MIDI clock or MTC

- no RTAS support (for anyone using Pro Tools)

- Ren doesn't have independent swing (Maschine has it per sound/group/master) and it doesn't work in realtime

- you can't manually add/remove slices

- Ren's software will not run without the Ren controller being attached

- the Renaissance controller is not usb bus-powered and requires an ac adapter

- it doesn't even support all of Akai's own legacy MPC file formats (doesn't read .ALL or .APS and ignores things like "Effects, Q Link slider events, Mute groups/mute targets, velocity sensitive parameters (V > Att etc), LFO, sequence track assignments, song files, any JJOSXL specific feature (e.g. NDC related data etc")

- there's a growing list of bugs that the beta testers missed. Simplest things makes it crash (Copying sequences, Clearing programs, Duplicating Inst Program...etc.)
and other bugs like notes getting stuck, screen problems...etc.

and it obviously doesn't have Komplete 8 integration that Maschine has where all presets from Komplete 8 can be browsed and loaded just from the hardware.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketz ➡️
Well this might help you decide. From what I've seen so far...

- the "MPC" Ren still requires you to use the mouse for a lot of things. It's nowhere near Maschine in terms of Maschine's hands-on workflow from just the hardware. It's hard to do anything but the most basic functions with the Ren controller's built in screen alone. I can do just about anything on Maschine's hardware with my laptop closed. You can't even nudge notes from the Ren's hardware and you can't open/close instrument plugin windows from the hardware (Maschine can open/close any plugin window just from the hardware)

- you have to stop the Ren's sequencer to do things like loading samples

- no 64bit support

- it doesn't receive MIDI clock or MTC

- no RTAS support (for anyone using Pro Tools)

- Ren doesn't have independent swing (Maschine has it per sound/group/master) and it doesn't work in realtime

- you can't manually add/remove slices

- Ren's software will not run without the Ren controller being attached

- the Renaissance controller is not usb bus-powered and requires an ac adapter

- it doesn't even support all of Akai's own legacy MPC file formats (doesn't read .ALL or .APS and ignores things like "Effects, Q Link slider events, Mute groups/mute targets, velocity sensitive parameters (V > Att etc), LFO, sequence track assignments, song files, any JJOSXL specific feature (e.g. NDC related data etc")

- there's a growing list of bugs that the beta testers missed. Simplest things makes it crash (Copying sequences, Clearing programs, Duplicating Inst Program...etc.)
and other bugs like notes getting stuck, screen problems...etc.

and it obviously doesn't have Komplete 8 integration that Maschine has where all presets from Komplete 8 can be browsed and loaded just from the hardware.
Thank you for the detailed information but I'm on the fence between Maschine 1 and the soon to be released Maschine mkII...
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Look at it this way: the new Maschine costs exactly the same as the old one did - they're just selling off the old ones $200 cheaper.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by krushing ➡️
Look at it this way: the new Maschine costs exactly the same as the old one did - they're just selling off the old ones $200 cheaper.
Oh I did not know that. So the original Maschines went through a price reduction?
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Oh I did not know that. So the original Maschines went through a price reduction?
Yup.
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I too am wondering about this.

First of all, I hate to think that I have to add this to my arsenal seeing as how i do Country music in nashville...but all the kids are using it so..

I have Komplete 8 (use the hell out of it) and am trying to decide between the MKII and the Studio.

Has anyone used both who can chime in here?

Do I have to upgrade to Komplete 9 for full integration with these hardware units?

thanks in advance

s0nguy
📝 Reply