Quantcast
Adam A7X or S2A? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Adam A7X or S2A?
Old 16th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Adam A7X or S2A?

I've found a lot of threads comparing the S2A to the A7s (most highly in favor of the S2As... which makes sense, they were much more expensive), but none versus the new A7X...

I have the opportunity to pick up a pair of S2As in great shape for about as much as, if not cheaper than, a used pair of A7Xs. Now, I've heard the A7Xs have a bigger lowend than the A7s did, while still retaining the great midrange and high end clarity the A7s were known for. Basically, I've heard them described as A7s with more clarity and lower lows. I've also heard the S2As have more lowend than the A7s.

Coming from a pair of M-Audio DSM3s, I felt like the mids were a bit relaxed on them and the lowend was fairly lacking (dual 6.5" design). I need something that goes lower (while still remaining accurate), but also has a more prominent mid range, as I found my mixes on the DSMs always ended up pretty hollow in the mids. I'm mixing mainly hard rock and modern metal stuff, so a tight lowend and aggressive guitars (midrange) are a must.

Do the S2As still hold up in favor of the A7Xs, or is it worth waiting longer for a pair of used A7Xs to come up at a decent price?
Old 16th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Anyone? Really need to make a decision today!
📝 Reply