Freighting Tape Internationally - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Freighting Tape Internationally
Old 16th September 2012
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Freighting Tape Internationally

Hi Guys,
Posted this on the general forums but received no replies, can anybody here help?
I need to get some 2" tape freighted from San Francisco to Australia and need to know if modern airport security scanning equipment is likely to damage the tape in any way, and if so, can I package it some way to prevent damage?
Thanks, Neil.
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Years ago (and I'm talking at least 20), we were recording some Melbourne actors for a New Zealand animation company on 2", and I've got a vague memory we decided to wrap the reel in tin foil in the tape box before we sent it for exactly that reason. I certainly don't remember any problems with it reaching the other end and I don't remember any issues with airport security either. But that was late 80's early 90's. I'm quite sure we sent lots of accompanying letters on studio letterheads explaining what exactly was in the box and why it was wrapped up in tin foil. Hope that helps!
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
I've been sending 2" Reels to New York for Years, make a serious note on the Tape Box, and ask Customs for an Actual inspection - not X-ray - I have had plenty of Reels X-rayed, and no damage whatsoever, I've also had 1/2" Dash 3324S/3348 Tapes sent of with no scrambling at all.

Stick a Red Tag on it - Ask for "Hand Inspection by Customs" the weight of a Reel is the weight, thus it can be unscrewed by the Flanges, checked, screwed back on & passed for clearance. A broker is usually a very good bet. Also if the tape is headed for someone else and it's commercial, indemnify yourself against ANY misfortune, wrap it in tons of Wadding (Cotton Batting) as they will toss it around...Otherwise, all should be OK! One more thing....throw in a heap of Silica Gel Packs in case it's left in a luggage bay on the tarmac in Hot/Cold weather etc. It's pretty much common sense, I'm sure all will be fine
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Thanks for the tips Guys!
๐Ÿ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…